Need Advice

Rico my retriever loves grass he eats it al the time. But just recently the grass has turned to seed and my hubby and I ahve been trying to remove it and now its come up all through our lawn. I saw Rico go to eat some yesterday afternoon and now over night his been doing this deep hacking caugh then making motion to vomit.... I dont know whether to be worried or not. He's not in any distress and is still eating but every 4/5 hours he does this caugh then tries to clear his throat. Should I leave it for a couple of days or get him seen today? What ever it is is not within sight... By boy let me open his mouth wide and I cant see anything there.

The main reason i think it is possibly grass seed stuck in his throat is because about a week and a half ago he ate grass and a massive pod of green grass seeds got tuck on the inside of his lip and I had to pull it out... Its definately not kennel caugh... I know what that sounds like but im worried about the implecations if it is a grass seed... Im assuming it would mean anaesthetic to get it out what ever it is and Rico took days to recover from anaesthetic 18months ago when he was castrated at 18mths. Im just worried all round.

Grass seeds are a nasty problem. Be wary of them in the ears too. Molly had one go in her ear, she was running around like she had lost her mind. The problem is the grass seeds can sort of lodge themselves in place. I would hate to think Rico might inhale it into his lungs. I would get to the vet today, its worth it for your peace of mind. Good luck, I hope Rico will be fine without to much upset to him.

i havent been able to get himto a vet today... Im still at my shop and the only appt they had was fpor at 8.30 which is when I open my salon... The earliest ive been able to get him in is tomorrow at 11 am. Have rung the vet to see if they can give me some advice about to minimising risk tongiht till then. He is trying to clear his throat a bit but not much more than last night. dont want to go to an after hr clinic with vets I dont tryust either... Grrr damn dog getting a problem on the one day I can rush off to the vet! :)

well it turned out to be kennel cough... Rico is nearly over it on anti inflams for his throat and some cough mixture but its now hit my Isabella. Its got a bit worse over ngiht and Im taking her to the vet in a few mins to get her on antibiotics... Its gone to her lungs and she constantly coughing up fluid and cant breath properly. think pneunomia is setting in. Her temp has dropped a bit and crt are still good but shes getting dehydrated. Poor love. we have an awesome vet though.

Oakway, trust me if that had been an option I would have done so but my husband was at work all day as was my mum with me at our shop and neither of us could have got out with him. I have no other family that could have taken him and the only mate of mine who would do it for me cant control 36kg of retriever.

When my animals have been sick I have on the odd day dropped them off at the vet on the way to work and then picked them up on the way home.

Something to keep in mind for the furture, just in case.

Hope they both feel better soon.

Hey Sezy, It was something I asked the surgery but getting him there was the problem, the clinic doesnt open until the same time I have to open my salon. Luckily though I live out the back of my shop so I was able to go and check on him a lot. If it had got really bad I woulda have just walked out of my shop but he wasnt distressed. Just coughing.

Hey Sezy, It was something I asked the surgery but getting him there was the problem, the clinic doesnt open until the same time I have to open my salon. Luckily though I live out the back of my shop so I was able to go and check on him a lot. If it had got really bad I woulda have just walked out of my shop but he wasnt distressed. Just coughing.

bugger....

hehe mum used to also drop the family pets off on the way to work. I don't think our maltese ever made it into a cage, the reception lady used to keep her with her bed and toys at her feet all day.......