Raw Bloody Spots

Hello,

When I was grooming Pete the other day I noticed a patch of wet fur on his leg like he'd been licking it lots, when I got close to groom it I noticed there was a patch about 1cm square that was raw, no hair on it and was a bit bloody. This morning I found another similar spot at the top of his tail and on the top of his foot next to his toe. I tried to take a photo but the flash was ruining it and I couldn't get it to work. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? Do you think I should take him to the vet?

Thanks

Sounds like hot spots.

Sometimes they are very thickened and swollen and needs antibiotics and painkillers.

Quite often you can treat them yourself.

I would trim the hair very short past the edge of the moist yukky bit, if you have got it wash them in Malaseb and then put on some Betadine liquid will help dry it out, or some Neocort cream. You could use some haemaroid cream, but don't put it on too thickly. The basic aim is to get air to it and dry it out.

Haemaroid cream has local anaesthetic and anti inflammatory along with some sort of antiseptic in it.

They can be caused by irritation e.g a flea or mozzie bite. They can be from a dog being wet and and not getting dried off properly eg after swimming at the beach. Or sometimes they just happen for no reason.

Good luck

ETA you need to stop him licking and chewing as well, or the nasty moist, irritated cycle won't be broken. The local anaesthetic can help with that, but sometimes not.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

If you don't know what's causing these you need to see a vet.

They could be flea allergies, hot spots, ringworm or a bacterial infection. You need a professional diagnosis.

Am booked in for tomorrow afternoon :laugh: Will take all the bettadine advice on board for treatment, but better make sure of the cause

The need a course of antibiotics and usually either a course of oral steroids or spray on steroids.

Steroids and antibiotics as an automatic 'must have' ? I wonder. Do they really? Or has this just become a common place standard prescription? There are more natural treatments that can be used that are also anti-bacterial. Sure - in some major cases these sorts of this just might be necessary, but in this case we don't know how bad (or not) it is, so there's a chance that the application and administration of drugs may not be necessary, do you not think?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am really becoming very concerned about how swiftly (especially) anti-biotics are suggested and administered without question.

Edited by Erny

The need a course of antibiotics and usually either a course of oral steroids or spray on steroids.

Steroids and antibiotics as an automatic 'must have' ? I wonder. Do they really? Or has this just become a common place standard prescription? There are more natural treatments that can be used that are also anti-bacterial. Sure - in some major cases these sorts of this just might be necessary, but in this case we don't know how bad (or not) it is, so there's a chance that the application and administration of drugs may not be necessary, do you not think?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am really becoming very concerned about how swiftly (especially) anti-biotics are suggested and administered without question.

No not all hot spots require antibiotics - but most do. Most dog owners leave it until the infection is very deep (because they have tried to treat it themselves).

My dog gets hot spots regularly, I catch them very early and start her on a course of steroids and antihistamines and have never needed antibiotics because I havent left it the infection untreated.

I only prescribe antibiotics if there is a confirmed bacterial infection - especially with ears. A culture and sensitivity is a must.

Most of our hot spots up here are ringworm, with secondary bacterial infection. Usually require a course of antifungals as well.

No not all hot spots require antibiotics - but most do. Most dog owners leave it until the infection is very deep (because they have tried to treat it themselves).

My dog gets hot spots regularly, I catch them very early and start her on a course of steroids and antihistamines and have never needed antibiotics because I havent left it the infection untreated.

I only prescribe antibiotics if there is a confirmed bacterial infection - especially with ears. A culture and sensitivity is a must.

Most of our hot spots up here are ringworm, with secondary bacterial infection. Usually require a course of antifungals as well.

Went to the vet and he said they weren't hot spots - didn't quite fit the description, he said they were skin irritations caused by allergies, probably seasonal, and gave me some cream :thumbsup:

I usually try the curash baby powder or creme from supermarket, was told by vet to get antihistamine tablets from chemist like polaramine or a home brand and give one a day, also washing dog in oatmeal shampoo is also good for sensitive skin dogs like my terrier especially this time of year with the dry grass etc, my neighbours think i'm mad as I rush around putting towels and dog matt's everywhere but she still sits on grass under tree and then is all itchy when she comes inside.

Glad you have some cream, but hot spots are a skin irritation caused by an irritant that get licked and chewed and moist and get worse because of it - so that sounds a little odd.

Hope your boy is more comfortable very soon.

Do you mean sounds odd the vet said they weren't hot spots? He told me hot spots normally cover a bigger area than these bumps so it didn't seem to be that. The ones on his legs have dried up well so far! Tail one was a bit more nasty but its getting there ;) It was funny he sorta knew not to scratch after a while, cause I would interrupt him everytime he did, and then I would see him flicking around for a scratch but catching himself and stopping :)

Edited by Pete.the.dog

Glad you have some cream, but hot spots are a skin irritation caused by an irritant that get licked and chewed and moist and get worse because of it - so that sounds a little odd.

Hope your boy is more comfortable very soon.

Do you mean sounds odd the vet said they weren't hot spots? He told me hot spots normally cover a bigger area than these bumps so it didn't seem to be that. The ones on his legs have dried up well so far! Tail one was a bit more nasty but its getting there ;) It was funny he sorta knew not to scratch after a while, cause I would interrupt him everytime he did, and then I would see him flicking around for a scratch but catching himself and stopping :)

Yes I did mean because he said they weren't. A hot spot isn't defined by size, rather it is a patch of moist dermatitis - they can start very small and end up very very large. I have seen one around 1 cm diameter, and I have seen them with a 10 to 15cm diameter.

ANyway, as long as he is getting better that is what is most important :)