Petition To End Bsl In Australia

Kreed

As many of you are probably aware, last week the head of RSPCA Victoria publicly denounced pit bulls as 'time bombs', calling for them to be bred out of existence:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/deathjab...91019-h38w.html

In response I have created a petition, and am looking for comments and signatures from dog lovers and breed advocates:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/end-BSL-in-Australia

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a more carefully worded petition in the paper form, might have more of an impact. Online petitions are really worthless in the scheme of things. Do you have a clear aim of what you want to achieve ? who you present the petition too ? what you would like them to do with it ( raise in Parliament ).

Perhaps a more carefully worded petition in the paper form, might have more of an impact. Online petitions are really worthless in the scheme of things. Do you have a clear aim of what you want to achieve ? who you present the petition too ? what you would like them to do with it ( raise in Parliament ).

I dont think this is a fair assessment of the worth of online petitions. I work in a policy area of Federal govenment and the number of signatories on online petitions, as well as paper petitions, letters and other submissions are all reported to the Minister as part of the advice on various matters.

I do agree though that you need to be very clear what it is you are asking for, and who you are asking.

Ministers are always interested in public sentiment on the matters within their area of responsibility and change can be brought about if enough people kick up a stink.

Good to see some practical action being taken anyway.

hey,

Thanks guys.

The petition has a clear target (listed at the top of the petition), and also a target letter (if you click on the link under the photo on the petition site, you can read the letter that will be sent along with the petition to its target):

Target:RSPCA Australia, State Premiers and Chief Minister in all Australian States

I'm a former non-profit campaigner (Greenpeace, WSPA), and now author by trade. I've taken pains over the wording. In my experience, public protest is an effective means of inciting change. Not all online petitions are created equal-- the site I chose has a proven record and a pretty good system. I can't door-knock the whole of Australia, so this was the next best bet. :laugh:

I took some time out in the petition to explain the issue, due to the amount of confusion regarding 'pit bulls', BSL, etc., in Australia. But the main aim is stated: "Please join me in urging Australian law makers and animal welfare agencies to educate the public and end the cruelty of B.S.L."

There are 300+ signatures on there now, and some great comments. It's good leverage for any pressure we want to put on the perpetrators of BSL. I hope everyone who cares about this will weigh in and add their support.

All best,

Kirsten

Dude, thanks for your feedback, but just click on the link-- it's all there. :laugh:

Dude, thanks for your feedback, but just click on the link-- it's all there. :laugh:

It just looks very unprofessional to attack a representative of an organisation, that you intend to send your petition too.

In the wake of a recent dog attack, rather than addressing a flawed system and its need for change, the head of RSPCA Victoria compounded the existing problems with hype, hysteria, and nonsense with this public statement, in which he refers to pit bulls as 'time bombs':

RSPCA Australia released this statement in the wake of Dr Wirth's comments:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-...91021-h75n.html

They are not standing by him, either. A petition, by definition, is addressed to the powers that be. In this case, I am encouraging the RSPCA Australia to be a part of a postitive change.

I stand by my petition, and don't have the energy to keep bickering with my one nay-sayer, so I'll leave it that at that, and again, thanks to all who've signed. Keep it up! :laugh:

k

Edited by Kreed

The RSPCA will be part of a positive change this is exactly the kind of thing that is needed, they need to hear from us and know they have support on this and that people are expecting them to see it through.

Forget about Huge Jackarse, oops I mean Hugh Wirth, his on his own the rest of the RSPCA is thinking ahead now.

Thanks for all the support. I'm still pimping the petition around :laugh: and I have gotten some good responses from dog lovers/experts around the world thus far.

It means a lot more to have the Aussie signatures on there, though. There have been some great comments from you peeps. Keep it up :thumbsup:

This petition is going to be officially delivered to the targets (RSPCA Australia and heads of each state/territory), once a.) I have enough signatures or b.) it expires in ~5 months. This is a good way to get your thoughts to them if this is an issue you believe in, and stand up and be counted.

Thanks,

Kirsten

Edited by Kreed

• 3 weeks later...