Rescue Dog

I am really concerned as to how to deal with Rosie. She is a Chihuahua and 6 years old.

I think she must have belonged to an elderly housebound person so is not used to being alone at all.

Even a 10 minute absence causes her great distress ( and isnt doing my shoes or mats any good either :rolleyes: )

So far I have tried having her confined ( didnt work )

Now I let her free access in and out of house when neighbours are home but she still cries.

She is amazing in all other ways, obedient, clean, affectionate, sociable.

My next problem is finding what she WILL eat :eek: She loves chicken but I cant see that as a well adjusted diet???

Also she got an upset tummy from raw chicken. SHe is a real picky eater but looks in great health.

Could these problems be coming from being separated from her home, going to a pound then onto a rescue and then to me???

post-29972-1257133824_thumb.jpg

I am really concerned as to how to deal with Rosie. She is a Chihuahua and 6 years old.

I think she must have belonged to an elderly housebound person so is not used to being alone at all.

Even a 10 minute absence causes her great distress ( and isnt doing my shoes or mats any good either :eek: )

So far I have tried having her confined ( didnt work )

Now I let her free access in and out of house when neighbours are home but she still cries.

She is amazing in all other ways, obedient, clean, affectionate, sociable.

My next problem is finding what she WILL eat :) She loves chicken but I cant see that as a well adjusted diet???

Also she got an upset tummy from raw chicken. SHe is a real picky eater but looks in great health.

Could these problems be coming from being separated from her home, going to a pound then onto a rescue and then to me???

Hi linnieg, first of all, great work adopting an adult rescue :laugh:

From my experience adopting a rescue, separation anxiety is a very large problem in these dogs - and the largest problem faced by people who adopt rescues. It can be heart wrenching and stressful for you - and as much as I'd like to tell you there is a quick fix, unfortunately time is the greatest healer. It just takes these poor dogs a little longer than most to realise you are going to come back for them :)

Leaving on a radio or tv can be helpful, as can leaving treats - a Kong filled with peanut butter or a bone worked best for my dog.

The only thing I can really say about the fussy eating is that it is actually healthy to fast your dog occassionally, they aren't going to starve themselves. Put the food out and if they are really hungry, they'll eventually eat it! Try not to cater to her fussiness too much - it would be like only feeding a child macdonalds ;)

Good luck

Can I just add there has been some great ideas put forward so far. However, from experience I have found that yes leaving the TV or radio on can help settle a dog with seperation anxiety in the beginning. However, eventually these two things can be conditioned to be a cue for your leaving and so becomes something that starts to stress out the dog.

This isn't the case for all dogs but can be for some.

Can I just add there has been some great ideas put forward so far. However, from experience I have found that yes leaving the TV or radio on can help settle a dog with seperation anxiety in the beginning. However, eventually these two things can be conditioned to be a cue for your leaving and so becomes something that starts to stress out the dog.

I will keep that in mind as well. Never thought about it that way.

Tomorrow I have to go out so will give a progress report :rofl:

Whatever it takes she is worth the effort I just hate knowing she is upset :rofl:

Good point kiesha! I stopped leaving the radio on for Pete because by that point it was clear that I was doing it to go out, lucky for me his anxiety had already gone by the time he figured it out - he's cute, but he isn't the quickest fella :rofl:

Of course it differs with every dog, but with Pete I reckon it was a month or two and then he settled down - very stressful for me though during that time, I thought he'd never get better! I know people suggest you conditioning the dog to the sound of your keys, e.g. pick up your keys, walk to the door, then walk back to your desk/lounge/wherever you were, and keep doing this until your dog doesn't react to your keys - and good luck to you if you want to try this technique - from my experience, my dog still jumps up when he hears my keys, he just doesn't stress out anymore!

All the best :rofl:

Definitely the stress she's been through can cause these problems - I often find for the first two weeks I have a foster dog that they are right on my tail as I move around the house/garden and are desperate to follow me out the front door. They do settle after a couple of weeks generally.

I have other dogs so they aren't alone but they are often very focused on me anyhow.

Try leaving your dog with a Tshirt that you've worn recently or a nightie etc. Pop it into her basket.

Leave plenty of toys (they should be rotated every couple of days).

Give her a good walk before you leave as well and perhaps a bit of brekkie (mine get a sardine and a biscuit). She should settle into a happy routine!

Progress report :hug:

she is eating better ( thank goodness)

As for me going out she still serenades the neighbours but is giving up sooner so hopefully we can call that progress.

I have bought her some new toys and will rotate them like suggested, also the old ( stress old) t shirt idea sounds good too :D

This is an excellent point and one that I often mention to my clients for their dogs who become anxious at being alone - not one that many people think about, from what I've read and heard, so well done for the 'pick up' on that, Kiesha09.

Have the TV or radio on at home - when you're NOT going out. This breaks down the development of it going on as a conditioned cue to your leaving.

Edited by Erny