Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

We currently have no dogs :happydance2: Just a 2 year old cat (named Jack).

I get harrassed on a daily basis by my son as to exactly *when* we'll be getting our own puppy LOL and the time is finally right! We had been waiting for our new house to be built, and then had to wait for landscaping to all be done, so its been a few years in the making!

We have decided on getting a beagle, having fallen in love with the look of them, and after spending too many work hours researching the breed (!!) decided that a Beagle was for us!!

We've only ever had Cavs before (my parents have actually just gotten their new cav puppy Mr Darcy last week. Gorgeous boy), so a Beagle will be something rather new for us! We're both very excited. Luckily, there's even a puppy training program in our suburb so we look forward to checking that out too.

Welcome!! I love Beagles :happydance2: Do you have a puppy on the way or are still contacting breeders?

RubyStar, i'm just at the beginning stage of contacting breeders. I'm finding it all a tad nerve wracking to be honest!! Too many questions in my mind LOL not sure whether i should provide too much information, or just the bare necessities and obviously is it rude to ask the cost of the dog!!

RubyStar, i'm just at the beginning stage of contacting breeders. I'm finding it all a tad nerve wracking to be honest!! Too many questions in my mind LOL not sure whether i should provide too much information, or just the bare necessities and obviously is it rude to ask the cost of the dog!!

In my experience, introduce yourself briefly, ask if they have any plans for litters coming up if their website doesn't state so, say what you're after and what sort of home you can offer a pup, and ask about any health tests the breed may require :happydance2: Then take it from there. I don't think a breeder will take offence to a final sentence asking how much their pups are. Price isn't the deciding factor and shouldn't be the main point in the email, but a puppy buyer still needs to know so they know how much to put aside so I see it as a fair question to ask! :happydance2:

We currently have no dogs :happydance2: Just a 2 year old cat (named Jack).

I get harrassed on a daily basis by my son as to exactly *when* we'll be getting our own puppy LOL and the time is finally right! We had been waiting for our new house to be built, and then had to wait for landscaping to all be done, so its been a few years in the making!

We have decided on getting a beagle, having fallen in love with the look of them, and after spending too many work hours researching the breed (!!) decided that a Beagle was for us!!

We've only ever had Cavs before (my parents have actually just gotten their new cav puppy Mr Darcy last week. Gorgeous boy), so a Beagle will be something rather new for us! We're both very excited. Luckily, there's even a puppy training program in our suburb so we look forward to checking that out too.

Welcome!! I love Beagles :happydance2: Do you have a puppy on the way or are still contacting breeders?

Hi and Welcome

Why dont you come down to the show this weekend and meet some breeders and their dogs in person! Only time not to bother them is when they are ringside and about to go in the ring, other than that, you should find them approachable...

welcome Jodie :happydance2: Beagles are lovely dogs. My friend and her partner got one last year. It is her first ever dog and they are coping well with those beagle traits!

i know it's quite difficult and a tad scary, but be open and honest about your family, living situation, ask if they have any litters coming up.

Tell them you are happy to answer any questions they might have about you and why you chose a beagle,a nd make sure you include that you have researched the breed and decided it was right for your family :happydance:

if you are emailing first, ask them if there is an appropriate time to give them a call as some of them like to speak rather than converse by email, then it's usually easier to ask how much after discussion on the rest.

I went to BP&G to wash Charlie a couple of times... i don't use their shampoo (too soft) and I only wash whites (basically head, legs, front half of body and belly!)... it cost about $18 but the hydrobath is soooo much better than a hose!! in saying that though, i used the dryer but only to get some of the sogginess out of his coat... we take him home and dry him with the big dryer (except that has now gone to Jersey so i am back to two small dryers! :happydance2:)

I washed the setters a couple of times and cost about $12 using their shampoo and conditioner plus the dryer.

Edited by SparkyTansy

I once saw a guy at BP&G Canning Vale who had used the hydrobath for his Setter, and had the dog on a grooming table next to the hydrobath trimming and drying him :happydance2:

I have never used a hydrobath before because my dogs are small and almost bald :happydance2:

Welcome Jodie Elijah :happydance:

I don't have a coated breed but I would still like to buy one of those dryers with a hose attachment! Ruby can stay damp for hours even after many towel rub downs and taking a hair dryer to her. Millie dries in no time. My next dog will possibly be coated so it won't go to waste if I splurge one day! But I rarely bath the dogs anyway :happydance2:

I have never used a hydrobath before because my dogs are small and almost bald :happydance:

You could take a damp cloth to yours :happydance:

I used to take Ruby to the hydrobath at VetWest as it was included for free in their wellness package. Now that I haven't done the wellness package for a couple of years, they no longer get regular baths :laugh: I like using my shower cos it has the shower attachment like a hose, best thing ever :happydance2::happydance2: and to think when I got the bathroom renovated I almost went with the cheapest shower head that stays put! So glad I upgraded :laugh:

I just have one of those shower attachments in the bath. Works well though!

Yeah I had one of those, they did the job! Millie would just try jump out of a bath so I like the shower so I can lock her in :happydance2: Plus there is no bath in my house! I wouldn't be without one of these shower heads in future houses though, they are fab for cleaning the shower, too!

Thank you for the advice all!! Much appreciated :happydance2:

I have sent off my first enquiry so will see how things go :happydance2:

Hydrobath, my mom loved getting our first cav washed in one of those! he was so hairy and when he was finished he'd be like a like fluffball LOL

obviously is it rude to ask the cost of the dog!!

Hi Jodie, welcome! :happydance2:

It is a tad strange having to be so careful about what to put in an email to a breeder, especially when you have read some of the threads here! :happydance:

The cost of a dog should be no different to any other question you ask, it's actually quite important I think.

I was at training the other night where a 6 month old Rotti was playing with my 6 month old. The owner asked how much I had paid for my puppy and when I said $1100, she said that's why they went to a BYB to get their puppy. I started to tell her all my other dogs had had variaous health problems and this one was hopefully less likely to but she wasn't interested.

People can either afford a properly bred dog or they can't. No point in wasting anyone's time.

Hope you find a nice breeder soon and can start having fun with your pup. Are you SOR, or NOR? There's a great puppy school SOR (Armadale way) that beats everyhitng else around. www.trainapuptime.com

Look forward to seeing photos when you get pup! :happydance2:

Edited by Golden Rules

Ok cool I will aim to get there just after 6pm, then on friday, do you think there will be food etc???

I have not even asked how much my new pup is going to be setting me back yet :happydance2: names for this week are Grayson, Trend and Rane.

Ok cool I will aim to get there just after 6pm, then on friday, do you think there will be food etc???

I have not even asked how much my new pup is going to be setting me back yet :happydance2: names for this week are Grayson, Trend and Rane.

"names for this week" :happydance2: I'd be interested to hear what the going rate is Candice when you find out. It jumped $200 from my original enquiry and deciding to go with her to actually being puppies on the ground.

There should be some food I'd imagine, if not on the lower oval, definitely at the canteen on the top oval.

I'll see if I can find time on Friday to do some baking, any suggestions from peoples?!

The owner asked how much I had paid for my puppy and when I said $1100, she said that's why they went to a BYB to get their puppy.

I'm surprised their pup was "cheaper", BYB's usually charge as much as registered ones! And the main reason they go for a BYB is cos they can get one now and don't get screened. Each to their own, eh? :happydance2:

Thanks Golden Rules! We're actually waaaaay South of Perth, down here in Bunbury :happydance2: So that training school is a little out of my way!! LOL

How old should a puppy be before you taking him to training class?

Names... my son (who is 11) has decided that "Spike" should be the name of our new pup. I'm not too sure!! He's also written down Boris... *sigh*

I don't have a coated breed but I would still like to buy one of those dryers with a hose attachment! Ruby can stay damp for hours even after many towel rub downs and taking a hair dryer to her. Millie dries in no time. My next dog will possibly be coated so it won't go to waste if I splurge one day! But I rarely bath the dogs anyway :happydance2:

i have a Dryer for Misha but i also do sunnie after has had a wash and he dries in a matter of minutes with the dryer its soo handy!! Good Ol' Ebay!

The owner asked how much I had paid for my puppy and when I said $1100, she said that's why they went to a BYB to get their puppy.

I'm surprised their pup was "cheaper", BYB's usually charge as much as registered ones! And the main reason they go for a BYB is cos they can get one now and don't get screened. Each to their own, eh? :happydance2:

Yeah our friends paid $750 for there chi x that they got, I paid $1000 for Mason Pason 2 years ago so I am expecting it to be around $1500 maybe, as I have seen labs advertised anywhere from $1200 to $1700 here in Perth.

Thanks Golden Rules! We're actually waaaaay South of Perth, down here in Bunbury :happydance2: So that training school is a little out of my way!! LOL

How old should a puppy be before you taking him to training class?

Names... my son (who is 11) has decided that "Spike" should be the name of our new pup. I'm not too sure!! He's also written down Boris... *sigh*

I would take them from 8 weeks, mine only went from 12 weeks as I was paranoid about him catching anything before his vacs had kicked in.

That is most of the dog owning population! At our local park, where there are sometimes up to 20 dogs there at any one time, I could count on one hand who bought their dogs from registered breeders.

It's quite sad and I don't see it changing any time soon.

That is most of the dog owning population! At our local park, where there are sometimes up to 20 dogs there at any one time, I could count on one hand who bought their dogs from registered breeders.

It's quite sad and I don't see it changing any time soon.

I also dont see it changing GR .....

I am still in 2 minds about a pup, I want one but I want it to sleep through the night and be fully toilet trained before it comes home :happydance2: I have to remember that the new one should not be as bad as Mason, because he was allergic to his food he got up like 6x a night for the toilet. ......