Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I didn't get to see the news footage, bummer!

The most "damage" I came home to was next door's palm tree had yet another dead branch in my yard. I am throwing them back over. Speaking of palm trees and neighbours, can anyone offer any advice on what I should do? They have this palm tree in their front yard on the fence line which overhangs my backyard, and it must be that time of year that those berries start forming because the branch bit has opened up now, exposing berries that I am sure will ripen and start falling in my yard in the coming months. Now we know Labs eat anything and these berries have caused nasty blockages in dogs (some resulting in death :rofl: ), so how would I approach the subject of having them removed with neighbours I have barely spoken to? The most we've said is Hi on passing, and I'm too shy to approach them about it :rock: The tree is too tall to take a normal ladder to it to hack the berry pod down. I spent several hundred dollars getting a palm tree in my own yard removed before I moved in to ensure the dogs could not ingest any of the berries, and now I have the neighbours one to worry about! I HATE PALM TREES :D

Hmm Lexi got a blockage from eating an orange palm berry at it cost me $1800 but luckily I had a dog at the end of it. I know you don't want to but you really need to discuss it with the owners, or get your dad to :)

My Dad's more of a wuss than I am :cheer::laugh: Really not sure what to say to them. I can't suggest they get it cut down as that costs money :clap: But I'd go them halvsies just to get rid of the damn thing, even though I don't have the spare $$! Did I mention how much I hate palm trees? (and living so close to others).

The most "damage" I came home to was next door's palm tree had yet another dead branch in my yard. I am throwing them back over. Speaking of palm trees and neighbours, can anyone offer any advice on what I should do? They have this palm tree in their front yard on the fence line which overhangs my backyard, and it must be that time of year that those berries start forming because the branch bit has opened up now, exposing berries that I am sure will ripen and start falling in my yard in the coming months. Now we know Labs eat anything and these berries have caused nasty blockages in dogs (some resulting in death :rofl: ), so how would I approach the subject of having them removed with neighbours I have barely spoken to? The most we've said is Hi on passing, and I'm too shy to approach them about it :rock: The tree is too tall to take a normal ladder to it to hack the berry pod down. I spent several hundred dollars getting a palm tree in my own yard removed before I moved in to ensure the dogs could not ingest any of the berries, and now I have the neighbours one to worry about! I HATE PALM TREES :D

Hmm Lexi got a blockage from eating an orange palm berry at it cost me $1800 but luckily I had a dog at the end of it. I know you don't want to but you really need to discuss it with the owners, or get your dad to :)

My Dad's more of a wuss than I am :cheer::laugh: Really not sure what to say to them. I can't suggest they get it cut down as that costs money :clap: But I'd go them halvsies just to get rid of the damn thing, even though I don't have the spare $$! Did I mention how much I hate palm trees? (and living so close to others).

I would advise talking to them as the Council cant do much unless the tree is dead or dangerous, and only as a last resort.

Have a look on the Legal aid website for your rights.

Oh and I would explain to them the danger to your dogs as well, so that they may remove it under sympathy perhaps.

Edited by RoxyNHemi

The most "damage" I came home to was next door's palm tree had yet another dead branch in my yard. I am throwing them back over. Speaking of palm trees and neighbours, can anyone offer any advice on what I should do? They have this palm tree in their front yard on the fence line which overhangs my backyard, and it must be that time of year that those berries start forming because the branch bit has opened up now, exposing berries that I am sure will ripen and start falling in my yard in the coming months. Now we know Labs eat anything and these berries have caused nasty blockages in dogs (some resulting in death :laugh: ), so how would I approach the subject of having them removed with neighbours I have barely spoken to? The most we've said is Hi on passing, and I'm too shy to approach them about it :D The tree is too tall to take a normal ladder to it to hack the berry pod down. I spent several hundred dollars getting a palm tree in my own yard removed before I moved in to ensure the dogs could not ingest any of the berries, and now I have the neighbours one to worry about! I HATE PALM TREES :rofl:

Hmm Lexi got a blockage from eating an orange palm berry at it cost me $1800 but luckily I had a dog at the end of it. I know you don't want to but you really need to discuss it with the owners, or get your dad to :cheer:

When your parents are there ask them to chat to the neighbours, in all honesty though if they dont want to remove it then I am not sure if you would be able to do anything as it is in their yard. Its a hard one, almost like the problem I have with my neighbours and their kids throwing the snacks they dont want over the fence to Mason who is allergic to most food!!!

We lost power last night but it was back on by 7.15pm, a bit of rain, that was about it really.

Poor OH left early this morning to drive back to Newman for work, decided to get petrol in Wubin (270km from Perth) because he has a fuel card and uses the BP there, got to Wubin with an 8th of a tank and none of the servos are working because their power is out :rofl: He had 20L in a jerry can and was going to go back south to find a working servo to fuel up, hopefully in Dalwallinu. Haven't heard back from him yet :D No news is good news :laugh: The next town north is about 150 km away.

Can you put some sort of temporary fence up to block that part of the yard? I've resorted to star pickets and chicken wire fencing at times when I've wanted to block mine from a certain area.

The most "damage" I came home to was next door's palm tree had yet another dead branch in my yard. I am throwing them back over. Speaking of palm trees and neighbours, can anyone offer any advice on what I should do? They have this palm tree in their front yard on the fence line which overhangs my backyard, and it must be that time of year that those berries start forming because the branch bit has opened up now, exposing berries that I am sure will ripen and start falling in my yard in the coming months. Now we know Labs eat anything and these berries have caused nasty blockages in dogs (some resulting in death :laugh:), so how would I approach the subject of having them removed with neighbours I have barely spoken to? The most we've said is Hi on passing, and I'm too shy to approach them about it :D The tree is too tall to take a normal ladder to it to hack the berry pod down. I spent several hundred dollars getting a palm tree in my own yard removed before I moved in to ensure the dogs could not ingest any of the berries, and now I have the neighbours one to worry about! I HATE PALM TREES :rofl:

I think you are allowed to cut anything from your neighbours trees, if it is hanging over your side of the fence. Same thing would go for a palm tree with a bunch of berries .... if it was about to drop, you can have it cut out yourself. But only what hangs over your side of the fence.

I don't think I have to worry about WP disputing the power has been off for 12 hours. It is nearly 24 hours and they have no idea when it will be back on :thumbsup: Will have to move one paddock of horses when I get home as their water will nearly be gone. The others are luckily on gravity feed water supply.

I don't think I have to worry about WP disputing the power has been off for 12 hours. It is nearly 24 hours and they have no idea when it will be back on :thumbsup: Will have to move one paddock of horses when I get home as their water will nearly be gone. The others are luckily on gravity feed water supply.

It must be quite serious because they have been telling everyone who phoned them today that they are not taking any general enquiries, only talking to those with power out issues!

Hope it's back on for you soon mirawee.

Hey GR what did you do puppy wise with your vaccs? Say ive had the 8 week and 12 weeks ones, I was thinking about getting a third one done because of the parvo this year but maybe just the parvo only one? do most vets do these?

Guest RosieFT

RS yyou could mention to them that those palm berries bring rats, big rats that can climb the palm trees and feast on the berris mmmMMMMMM. On the up side, rat hunting could entertain your dogs while you are at work though ;-)

I hate palm trees, they are ok while they are small but they soon get so high they give no shade and just drop berries. I don't see the point myself. Pity it is not low enough for you to remove the berries.

amypie - hope your OH doesn't have to back track too far!! what a pain. what is it about men that they like to push the car so close to empty though? I get paranoid if it is anywhere below 1/4... DH just says, oh you can go HEAPS more kms on that!

hope power is restored soon for you guys! so annoying.

Hey GR what did you do puppy wise with your vaccs? Say ive had the 8 week and 12 weeks ones, I was thinking about getting a third one done because of the parvo this year but maybe just the parvo only one? do most vets do these?

My pup had 6 week and 10 week shots only, and he will have a booster at 12 months, then 3 yearly after that unless I decide to titre test them.

When only giving two vax, you need to have a particular vax (so I was told by the vet). So if your pup has already had 2 vax without discussion with the vet about not doing anymore, I would say you will need the third booster. Talk to your vet first before you decide anything anyway.

Hey guys do u know any dog training classes that are run during the week or on a Saturday around NOR. I can only find clubs that are on Sundays and i cant do sunday training :thumbsup:

How far north of the river?

I only know Cloverdale - which is not NOR I know, but you might travel if you couldn't find anything else.

eta, I meant to add that Cloverdale do training on Monday nights.

Edited by Golden Rules