Obedience Troubleshooting

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I have to say that we have far more distractions in our trialling venues than there was in this clip :rofl:

I don't see how that changes anything, if the dog is working well in drive distractions won't make much difference.

I'm still learning about training in drive so some of this goes straight over my head but Banjo's food drive is a big . I actually have a dog that loves to work. Today I could barely get out the door as he was jumping up ready to work. Slightly off topic how many people keep a training journal? I started jotting down my thoughts after training yesterday and it was good to read it before training today just to recap.

Missed this post Tiggy!

Great idea! Its one of those "Know I should,but never do" thingys. I do however plan exactly what I want to train for before we start training.

A question for everybody - if using food in training - do you have it in your hand (right or left) or pocket right or left, or in a container and why?

Me - I have food in my left pocket only (as my dogs can crab and I find it worse if I carry food and reward from my right hand side and often carry a jackpot container in my right pocket.

Edited by Ptolomy

A question for everybody - if using food in training - do you have it in your hand (right or left) or pocket right or left, or in a container and why?

All and everything. I randomise. Food in both pockets. Food in Food Treat pouch. Tug down shirt. Tug in hand.

I sometimes have all. I sometimes have nothing. I sometimes have only one or two of the possible 'arrangements'. He doesn't know where something will come from, but what he does know is that it is about command compliance and looking at my face that will get him his rewards/drive satisfaction, not looking for where the goodies come from.

Just want to highlight a training mistake of mine that almost cost me dearly in the trial this week, which also relates to the current topic of reinforces and, in my case cues, causing problems.

I train directional cues from my head turns. I look left or right, and the dog preparing herself to move in the direction I look to.

When I was setting her up for the Change Of Position, as soon as I looked left towards the judge while being asked "are you ready", Brydee read the head turn as a cue for a left turn, and began to move back, for a left turn. She also became a bit confused and flustered, while I was trying to reposition her.

She is the first dog I have trained to cue from a head turn, so it was a valuable lesson for me. Lucky for me the exercise hadn't actually started yet, and she still ended up with a respectable score.

Havn't trialled for well over a year, so I was a little rusty too. Bad footage from crap camera sorry!

ETA: You will also notice that after being released from the recall, she went looking for her reinforcer (tuggie). Have to do some work on that one too.

Brydee at FOO Trial (Novice)

Edited by dogdude

All of the above just so they don't always expect a reward to come from the same place.

It's funny I never thought to change where I carry treats left/right etc but it makes perfect sense now I think about it :worship: . I have started using a container to treat from instead of always carrying the treats on me.

All of the above just so they don't always expect a reward to come from the same place.

Me too. Reward can come from any part of my person depending on what I am wearing or decide to reward with. Though jackpot marking end of work session always comes from the training bag away from work area. Jackpot for one is anything I pull out of bag and for the other food...

Another Question........ mostly to those who do not carry jackpot containers on you.

If you are getting some nice work - do you say jackpot and then run off to the container, or do you make you way over to where the container is and then say jackpot and give the reward?

Has anybody, other than me, had a dog run off to the car in anticipation of a jackpot? Or in Scoota's case - thrown a glove at me in a trial (twice) in anticipation of running off for his jackpot?

Jackpot is said as the work collar comes off and we race to the bag. Never give the jackpot with the collar on. Had Coco try to leave the ring once after a particularly energetic praise session after a good retrieve over obstacle looking for the bag so now it is as much the removal of the collar as the word I guess that indicates the jackpot is on..

Can replace the collar to pick work session back up if I want to conitinue training though I am a big believer in quit while I am ahead.

Edit cause I cant spell.

Edited by kathq

Another Question........ mostly to those who do not carry jackpot containers on you.

If you are getting some nice work - do you say jackpot and then run off to the container, or do you make you way over to where the container is and then say jackpot and give the reward?

Has anybody, other than me, had a dog run off to the car in anticipation of a jackpot? Or in Scoota's case - thrown a glove at me in a trial (twice) in anticipation of running off for his jackpot?

I do recall many years ago when Alex ran off for Blaize's jackpot...he always has had great anticipation...and a very good nose :rofl:

:rofl: Goodonya Alex. Hmmmm ok going to throw a spanner in the concept of "jackpots". Somebody who shall remain nameless (well ok maybe not Sue Hogben) posted on a list only yesterday about not being a big fan of jackpots and metioned preferring to increase the number of times the dog completes an exercise before it is rewarded. She also mentioned that jackpotting seems to be used as a way to get the food off the handler and so the dog continually things the food will be the end result of training.

So what are people's views on this. If people don't use jackpots what do they do.

And a further question, in light of the fact I have my baby entered in her first trial today fortnight (not obedience) what routines to people have in place for pre-ring and after they have finished. She hasn't really got an established pattern yet as we haven't done enough work in a ring setting for me to have worked out what works and what doesn't.

I say jackpot and then either run to the container or get one out of my pocket - again in the hope that they won't constantly move off to a bag or area where the container is always kept as sometimes I might have it on me and sometimes I won't.

I've not had any problems with Riv running off in anticipation of a jackpot but I did do some work with him on saying jackpot, clipping on the lead and then running to the container so he has got the idea that the lead being clipped on comes before we move off to get the jackpot.

She also mentioned that jackpotting seems to be used as a way to get the food off the handler and so the dog continually things the food will be the end result of training.

So what are people's views on this. If people don't use jackpots what do they do.

Not sure what is mean't by this? What does Sue think the dog should have on its mind for motivation?

I do recall many years ago when Alex ran off for Blaize's jackpot... :rofl:

and he survived to tell the story :rofl:

And yet another question.....

Does your dog actually know what a jackpot is - how do they react when you say the word???

and looking at Rivsky's post is there an age/stage/training level that you introduce a jackpot????

Just want to highlight a training mistake of mine that almost cost me dearly in the trial this week, which also relates to the current topic of reinforces and, in my case cues, causing problems.

I train directional cues from my head turns. I look left or right, and the dog preparing herself to move in the direction I look to.

When I was setting her up for the Change Of Position, as soon as I looked left towards the judge while being asked "are you ready", Brydee read the head turn as a cue for a left turn, and began to move back, for a left turn. She also became a bit confused and flustered, while I was trying to reposition her.

She is the first dog I have trained to cue from a head turn, so it was a valuable lesson for me. Lucky for me the exercise hadn't actually started yet, and she still ended up with a respectable score.

Havn't trialled for well over a year, so I was a little rusty too. Bad footage from crap camera sorry!

ETA: You will also notice that after being released from the recall, she went looking for her reinforcer (tuggie). Have to do some work on that one too.

Brydee at FOO Trial (Novice)

Firstly - goodonya for getting back into the ring - were you nervous???

At what point in setting up for the COP did you realise that your head turn was causing the issue? I am guessing people watching from outside the ring would have wondered what the hell you were doing - linning your dog up again and again. How will you deal with the judge standing to the side next trial?

Nice fast recall :rofl:

Where's the heelwork????

and yes put a new camera on your Xmas wishlist :rofl: