Reactions To Vaccines

Red Fox

I am often reading here that dogs have had reactions to their vaccines.

Obviously reactions can vary quite significantly ranging from no reaction, to the dog being a little bit 'down', to the worst case scenario- death :D

I'm wondering if DOLers who's dogs have had a reaction to a vaccine could please list what the vaccine was, what the symptoms were and the final outcome.

I feel that it would be helpful for those of us who are trying to make a decision on whether to vaccinate or not and for those who choose to vaccinate, what to look out for.

Thank you

Kei had a similar reaction to his 12 & 16 week C5's Pip, only his lumps were golfball sized and took well over a month to disappear :thumbsup:

Had similar but that was because the vet didn't inject it in the right spot so the lump was just vaccine fluid..... Diesel just gets flat for an hour or so, Bundy don't know yet.

Thank you for the link Jed, I'm just in the process of printing it out now and will have a good read.

I am very unsure of what to do. Kei will be due for his 16 month booster in mid January.

My options at this stage are- 1. Triennial C3 vacc, 2. normal annual C3 booster or 3. no vacc and try and find a vet who will titer. My preference at this stage is option 2 followed up with titer testing if need be. But then I still have that horrible thought in the back of my mind 'what if I give him the needle and he reacts?'... I can't take it back :thumbsup:

c5 vax at just under 12 weeks. a couple of hours after his shot he was whimpering, didn't want to get up, was yelping when touched or picked up. He continued to whimper in pain through the night and was tender for a few days afterwards. His skin also went red all over.

c5 vax at just under 12 weeks. a couple of hours after his shot he was whimpering, didn't want to get up, was yelping when touched or picked up. He continued to whimper in pain through the night and was tender for a few days afterwards. His skin also went red all over.

Poor Oberon :thumbsup: I hope he is feeling better now Pixie Meg and has no lasting side effects.

Poor Oberon :worship: I hope he is feeling better now Pixie Meg and has no lasting side effects.

Much better now, i'd say back to normal. only time will tell. we gave him some Thuja (a homeopathic) thats suppose to remove toxins from his body.

Kei had a similar reaction to his 12 & 16 week C5's Pip, only his lumps were golfball sized and took well over a month to disappear :worship:

Had similar but that was because the vet didn't inject it in the right spot so the lump was just vaccine fluid..... Diesel just gets flat for an hour or so, Bundy don't know yet.

If this was the cause would the lump start off large and then slowly decrease or grow steadily for a week or two before very slowly going away over a 4-6 week period?

In Kei's case it was the latter both with the 12 and 16 week vaccs. The lumps were hard and slightly mobile beneath the skin. Both given by different vets and in different places ie, 12 week was given in the neck as usual, 16 week was given in his side slightly behind the front leg (after my breeder had told me that he should never be vaccinated in the centre of his neck/back area as the lump could be confused for DS).

My oldest when he had his vacc at 16 weeks, He had c5 and it was the final (so I think only k9 cough booster) we left the vets and within 1/2 an hour his face, eyes, nose, mouth etc was so swelled up he could hardly breath or see, we werent far from the vets so we raced back, at this stage Cooper breathing was quite shallow and I was in panic mode, the vet gave him an antihistamine injection and said it wasnt a commonly seen reaction but sometimes the k9 cough only vaccine can cause this type of reaction. It took a good few hours for the swelling to go down but he did come good eventually. The scary thing was when the vet said if we had of just taken him home and left him to his own devices he would have swollen up so much and would have died cause he would have suffocated from the swelling. Needless to say I was so nervous when I had the other 3 done and even now when they have any vaccinations I make sure they are with me all day.

• 2 weeks later...