Feeding My Amstaff Pup

cesc04

I feed three meals a day until six months but some pups may drop down to two earlier if they start refusing meals. I then feed two meals until 12 months maybe then feed once a day. What are you feeding? If you feed dry I'd recommend feeding two meals a day as an adult but if you're a raw feeder like myself you can feed once a day.

Your breeder should have provided you with written information ( as per the canine council requirements ) about your pups diet and the number of feeds etc.

I tend to judge the feeds by the weight of the dog and how fast they are growing. I would cut back to two now, but if you see the pup leaning off a little too far during a growth spurt, then give a little extra meal until things even out again.

Some of my adults are still on two meals a day, they are the high drive, highly active dogs that need it. Others here cope fine and hold their condition with just one meal.

Thanks for the advice guys. He loves his food so i guess ill keep him on 3 a day till 6 months. I am feeding him raw beef with rice and veggies.

Cheers

This is not a balanced diet. It's calcium deficient for a start. If that's all your pup gets, expect major bone and joint issues.

I'd highly recommend you introduce a good quality puppy kibble or at least feed chicken wings and meat on the bone. I suggest you head over to the Amstaff breed thread and ask people experienced in the breed for their advice on a good diet. Didn't the pup's breeder give you one?

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks for the advice guys. He loves his food so i guess ill keep him on 3 a day till 6 months. I am feeding him raw beef with rice and veggies.

Cheers

:laugh: I hope this isn't what the breeder recommended. Totally unbalanced diet for a dog, and especially bad for a growing puppy. No calcium in that diet! Also, feeding one type of meat alone can sometimes trigger allergies to that protein or a sensitivity to it - especially in bull breeds. I would be feeding the widest range of protein I could at this age (think everything from chicken to camel to horse) but introducing each protein on a schedule so if he reacts to one you know which one it is! Dogs can't use carbs as easily as we can and can't digest vegetables at all unless they are cooked to a mush or pulverised.

Please get some expert advice from the Amstaff people on here - quickly :laugh:

chuck the beef mince. Your diet is still deficient. Minced carcasses, yup good on the right track there, never feed protein without a calcium source especially in growing pups! Also rice and veges, dont boil the bejesus out of the veges.

Have a look up BARF diet, there are plenty of threads here with the proper ratios :laugh: Sometimes pups can grow too fast/knuckle over on the wrong diets and it can happen quite fast especially during growth spurts. Puppy diet is very important, you dont have as much leeway as with adult dogs!