Flies

SarasMum

My GSD is constantly harrassed in summer by flies. One day of not putting some sort of deterrent on her and her ears have been bitten badly. I have run out of fly prevention stuff and need to get some more today.

Any suggestions? She is inside as much as possible while I am here. I have to leave her for a few hours outside this afternoon (she cant be trusted inside alone unfortunately), any suggestions to keep them at bay until I get home?

Edited to add I only have human stuff here atm, Rid, Aerogard.

Edited by SarasMum

I use RepelX, it is long lasting and I only apply once a day to keep the flies at bay.

I also get the yellow topped fly traps from Bunnings and hang them on the far corners

of our yard and we really don't have a fly problem anymore - I have to change to traps

every 6-8wks but it is bliss not being harrassed by flies when you go outside.

I agree that crating this afternoon might be better than leaving her outside with the flies.

Instead of buying fly traps make your own and it will cost you nothing. I get a 2ltr coke bottle, cut the top off where it starts to round off, invert it back into the bottle, put a hole either side, but a few prawn shells or any type of meat into the bottle, cover with water, hang up with a bit of wire. flies go into it and can't get back out, when full just throw away and make another.

The human stuff will work - we used a lot of Roll on Aeroguard here.

Really? I wasnt sure if it would be toxic or not. I have Aerogard in a little pump pack. I dont want to spray it on the ends though where she has been bitten, it might hurt.

Go to a saddlery or rural supplies and buy a tube of Septicide. It's an antiseptic cream with built in insecticide.

My old GSD had a dreadful problem with flies. Septicide was wonderful. It had a lasting effect, seemed to last a few days keeping the flies away once it was applied. Highly recommend it. :laugh: Also, it had a great healing effect if the ears had already been bitten.