Groomer's House Call

W Sibs

I need to take Charlie to the groomers he is in desperate need to get a fur cut and nail trimmed. Also, I don't want him to look so patchy anymore ;)

My question is, Charlie needs to be carefully handle due to his sensitve back and my paranoia.. I was wondering if groomers will come out my way so I can keep an eye on the grooming and do the lifting?

I know dog washers do house calls but, is there such a thing as a groomer house calls?

If he's got a bad back I would be verryyy careful entrusting him to someone (as you are).

I am so swamped atm so couldnt do it myself. However if you wanted you could bring Charlie to me on a day where I'm working on my own and do him yourself with my guidance.

Also happy to show you what to do so you can do him yourself in future.

Otherwise ask your vet to do it where the nurses will just shave him off. The job will probably look dodgy but at least they will understand the care he needs.

I wouldnt presume a vet nurse is any more skilled being a vet nusre & being a good groomer with handling skills is 2 different things,a good groomer has a better skills on how to handle a dog for grooming than most vet nurses,

We groom plenty with bad backs but if the dog has an issue you need to get it groomed more regular so it is easier on the dog.

We did two today with chronic back issue,most dogs groomed come in with various issues so your dog isnt unique but at this time of year its simply crazy.

You can get mobile but some dogs react worse when there owners are there which makes the job harder & more stressful for the dog,they try to jump,pull or play up which means the handling is more excessive than without the owner

If he's got a bad back I would be verryyy careful entrusting him to someone (as you are).

I am so swamped atm so couldnt do it myself. However if you wanted you could bring Charlie to me on a day where I'm working on my own and do him yourself with my guidance.

Otherwise ask your vet to do it where the nurses will just shave him off. The job will probably look dodgy but at least they will understand the care he needs.

Thanks Clyde!

If isn't so close to Christmas and I had some free time to travel up north, I would take you up on the offer about you teaching me how to groom Charlie for sure!! ;) Although I'm scared of cutting Charlie's nails though..

My next opinion was going to the vet so they can shave him off...

Who did him before? If you were happy with them and explained his situation I'm sure that would be fine.

However, learning to do him yourself is probably best in the long term. That way you can space the whole grooming process out over several short sessions.

I wouldnt presume a vet nurse is any more skilled being a vet nusre & being a good groomer with handling skills is 2 different things,a good groomer has a better skills on how to handle a dog for grooming than most vet nurses,

We groom plenty with bad backs but if the dog has an issue you need to get it groomed more regular so it is easier on the dog.

We did two today with chronic back issue,most dogs groomed come in with various issues so your dog isnt unique but at this time of year its simply crazy.

You can get mobile but some dogs react worse when there owners are there which makes the job harder & more stressful for the dog,they try to jump,pull or play up which means the handling is more excessive than without the owner

Charlie has been groomed before and he is really placid and easy going. Just paranoid that the groomer will lift him up the wrong way...

Who did him before? If you were happy with them and explained his situation I'm sure that would be fine.

However, learning to do him yourself is probably best in the long term. That way you can space the whole grooming process out over several short sessions.

There was a place.. but I'm not happy with them ;) they don't listen to instruction well... and he came home with a mild yeast infection, because they left his ears damp :rofl: also the cut his little mohawk he use to have...

I just wanted to say what a lovely offer.

where are you located? if you were in melbourne you are absolutely more than welcome to come to my place and i could groom him with your assistance...i have a few customers who like to stay and watch/help me groom their dogs.

Oh thanks for the offer.. but I live in Sydney :laugh:

Charlie has been groomed before and he is really placid and easy going. Just paranoid that the groomer will lift him up the wrong way...

Do you think his groomers would allow you to stay on premises (I guess this would depend on their insurance) so that you could do any of the lifting?

well, it was a hot weekend and I couldn't stand watching Charlie looking very scruffy, that I took out the sisscors and gave Charlie a fur cut!! I put him on the coffee table and started to cut his fur... I figured, I can give him a trim till he gets better enough and take him to the groomers :shrug:

Charlie was totally an angel about it. He just stood there while I snipped away, and he didn't even protest when I was snipping away his paw fur. He just watched me doing it. He does look a lot better, less scruffy

Just want to say how I have a new respect for groomers!!! It's hard work!! Charlie is easy dog, but I was thinking what if he was a snappy or badly behaved dog!! The job will be impossible for me to do.

Awww, poor Charlie. I would be wary of any groomer that doesn't let you hang around once you explain the situation. I've worked with groomers before that don't like owners hanging around - and for good reason, the owners would most likely not approve of the handling of their dogs. I let people come in or watch from the window, because I have nothing to hide.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience :thumbsup: It seems a LOT of groomers around at the moment ignore owner requests and just do whatever the hell they want!

Definitely any good groomer should be happy to work WITH you and help get him groomed. I generally don't like customers staying to watch mainly cos the dogs are often worse of their owners are around! BUT in saying that, I do have a few people who stay while their dogs are groomed, for various reasons. And if people want to stay and watch i'll talk to them about it first about why I don't like it, and that while they are always welcome to stay if they want to, they must sit in the one seat, not talk to the dog, or make eye contact with it; so the dog doesn't think it's about to be rescued by the owners! I have nothing to hide, but I do like to be able to handle the dogs without them scrabbling around to get to their owners too!!

I have had a couple of guys with bad backs that the owner showed me the best way to pick them up and hold them etc, and I'm happy with that and of course I'll do it their way!!

Ring around the groomers, and chat to them; you'll get a feel for how compassionate they are over the phone, and can always go from there; I don't think it'd make a lot of difference if you got a vet nurse to do it than a compassionate groomer.

And yes, there are some groomers who do home grooming in your own home, but not many that I know of.