Car Harnesses

Red Fox

Can anyone recommend a good quality car harness?

I need something strong that will fit a large deep chested dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback), will be comfortable for longer trips, won't slide around (ie end up sideways) and will still allow the dog to move around a little -stand up/sit down/lay down/turn around etc- while still keeping him secure.

Can't fit the crate in the car so that's out.

I have an EzyDog harness but have found that it just slips around too much and I am constantly adjusting it. Have thought about buying one of the Black Dog harnesses but they look a little complicated :laugh: and the straps seem very thin...

In the past we have used a 2" padded leather buckle collar clipped to one of those attachments that you buckle into the seatbelt clip and a hammock style seat cover. It does the job but I'd like something more secure for longer car trips, plus I worry that it wouldn't be safe in the event of an accident.

Edited by SecretKei

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RuffWear Webmaster Harness

The ruffwear webmaster harness is absolutely fantastic! I have one for my hard to fit sighthound (deep chest, slim waist), and it doesn't slip at all!

It's extremely secure, and comfy for him to wear as well (has padded bits to prevent chafing).

I've had heaps of issues trying to get a good quality, fitting harness for him but now I've found it!

Although not strictly a car harness, I guess you could get a seatbelt attachment for it to clip to the loop/ring on the harness :laugh:

Can anyone recommend a good quality car harness?

Try this web site.

http://www.d4dogz.com.au/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=2078

We used one of these for a large labrador.

They clip into the exisitng seat belt so can even go in middle of back seat.

We also got one of the car window bumpers as well.

There is probably other types on the market as well.

Good luck

The ruffwear webmaster harness is absolutely fantastic! I have one for my hard to fit sighthound (deep chest, slim waist), and it doesn't slip at all!

It's extremely secure, and comfy for him to wear as well (has padded bits to prevent chafing).

I've had heaps of issues trying to get a good quality, fitting harness for him but now I've found it!

Although not strictly a car harness, I guess you could get a seatbelt attachment for it to clip to the loop/ring on the harness :laugh:

Ruffwear harness looks great :rofl: wish it wasn't $90 though :laugh:

A few questions about it- how hard is it to get on and off? Do they have to step into it and does that back strap get in the way at all for boys (if you know what I mean lol)

I need something that is quick and easy on and off while still being comfortable. I can't walk my boy on a harness so it would be strictly for the car only.

Wow - love the look of the Ruffwear Harness! Hey Kei also check out the normal car harness section on the same website - their harness' for car travel look great too. They cross over at the chest and between the legs. I dont harness my girl (RR also) anymore coz the harness slipped, she got twisted up in it and it was more painful than useful! However these look very good, so I will be investigating more! I want to start putting our two in the back of our dual cab which has a canopy, but I still want to restrain them somehow.

Rat

Wow - love the look of the Ruffwear Harness! Hey Kei also check out the normal car harness section on the same website - their harness' for car travel look great too. They cross over at the chest and between the legs. I dont harness my girl (RR also) anymore coz the harness slipped, she got twisted up in it and it was more painful than useful! However these look very good, so I will be investigating more! I want to start putting our two in the back of our dual cab which has a canopy, but I still want to restrain them somehow.

Rat

Ooohh I like the petBuckle harnesses :laugh:

...still pretty pricey though :rofl: I'll have to see how things are after Christmas as money is a little tight right now :laugh:

Ruffwear harnesses are the best I've found - they are a little pricey but definitely worth it.

They're easy to get on if your dog knows shake. It goes on over the head and then you tell your dog to shake and put it's paw (it's the left one if you're looking at the dog) over one of the straps, then it just clips up.

I bought Zero the palisades pack which is a backpack as well as a harness, the packs just unclip if you want it to be a harness. Here's Zero in his:

Front on (with packs on)

IMG_5213.jpg

Side on (with packs on)

IMG_5220.jpg

Side on (with packs off) - you can see where it clips underneath him in this:

IMG_5238.jpg

ETA: I should add that Zero doesn't have a problem toileting in his harness - the strap doesn't sit far enough back for it to be a problem. :laugh: Oh and the handle on the top of it is brilliant - dogs should come with an inbuilt harness!

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Those harnesses look great but I dont have a spare $90 just at the moment! I've been a very naughty mummy the last 2 short trips and let Sophie just jump in and go as we've got the hammock back-seat protector, and as soon as she jumps in the back seat of either of our cars she just lays down and goes to sleep! She couldn't be less interested in looking out the windows or anything - she just nods right off till we turn off the engine - like clockwork, haha. We bought a Kramar car harness for her and she just gets horribly tangled and it irritates her and makes her squirm and wriggle compared to her dead-dog impersonation when we just let her sleep on the backseat. I'm just worried about her safety though in the instance that someone hit us - she won't fly into the front because of her backseat hammock but i'd rather have her secure. Will have to investigate.

Although not strictly a car harness, I guess you could get a seatbelt attachment for it to clip to the loop/ring on the harness :eek:

Ruffwear harness looks great :rofl: wish it wasn't $90 though :laugh:

A few questions about it- how hard is it to get on and off? Do they have to step into it and does that back strap get in the way at all for boys (if you know what I mean lol)

I need something that is quick and easy on and off while still being comfortable. I can't walk my boy on a harness so it would be strictly for the car only.

Yep, like Shell says the ruffwear harness is easy to get into and out of, and pricey but definitely worth it!

It was the only one of it's kind that I found was firm fitting, didn't slip and slide but was still comfy....and the belly strap doesn't interfere with my boy's wee wees :D

Oh and it also looks cool :laugh:

We use a blackdog harness. It's really easy to put on, but I found the seatbelt connection concept to not be secure enough (besides, Pepper learnt how to step on the seatbelt button and undo it).

So we attached a loop to the ring behind the middle seat of the car, and connect that to Pepper's lead. It does twist around and get under her body sometimes, and the harness itself does tend to slip to the side a bit, but she's getting better at not getting caught up.

I guess what I'm saying is... they aren't ideal, but they can work, and are a bit less expensive than the Ruffwear. (I'll be looking at Ruffwear for next time perhaps :eek: )

3895979891_5376cf2243.jpg

Edited by Pepper and Jax

I found the Ruff Wear Harness here for $75 http://www.twobigdogs.com.au/ruff-wear-web...er-harness.html :)

Still much more than I wanted to spend, but a good price in comparison to the other websites I've found...

Looks like they only have it in Medium too which should fit Kei going by the size chart (he is right in between -will either fit a medium adjusted to the biggest size or a large right at the smallest and the Waggle site say's to go for the smaller size...)

Has anyone shopped here before?? Are they okay to deal with??

I've recently been looking into this myself, after someone pointed out a loose dog in the car (even behind those gate things) can turn into a projectile in an accident. Which honestly scared the crap out of me. It seems that some people recommended not using a harness that goes up high around the dogs chest, as if you break suddenly, the harness can severely damage the dog's trachea. that being said, it was advised by the vet endorsing this particular harness. The link is http://www.bebopusa.com/subcat/secure_fit_...ess_system.html

I like the way the Roadie crosses over at the front. I wonder how well it would fit a deep chested dog though as it says that it comes in 7 sizes but is non-adjustable :laugh:

I do think that the Ruff Wear harness might be the way to go for us, I'm just trying to justify spending so much money on something we might only use a few times per year! Though that handle on the back looks like it would be very handy -I really like that idea!

For those that have the Webmaster Harness- How strong are those clips though? Are they plastic? I'm always a little paranoid that a plastic clip wouldn't hold up under strain ...but I guess with 3 of them it would lessen the chances of it coming apart??

Also, can you purchase the backpack part seperately later on?

Shell, I LOVE Zero's palisades pack :rofl: What size did you get for him? I presumed Kei would be a large, but with the size chart looks like he'd be better off with a medium.

SK: I've ordered from the Two Big Dogs website before. The delivery of the item was held up (by the courier company, not the vendor), and the Two Big Dogs lady was so lovely, helpful and apologetic (despite it not being her fault), that I would definitely order from them again if they had something I needed.

SK: I've ordered from the Two Big Dogs website before. The delivery of the item was held up (by the courier company, not the vendor), and the Two Big Dogs lady was so lovely, helpful and apologetic (despite it not being her fault), that I would definitely order from them again if they had something I needed.

Thanks :rofl: I always worry about ordering from somewhere I have not dealt with before. I just saw the Two Big Dogs banner up top of one of the DOL pages too so that helps :laugh:

Okay, so after scouring the internet for reviews I've decided on either the PetBuckle Harness (looks like it would be great for the car, very secure, easy on and off + nice and strong) or the Ruffwear Webmaster (looks like it would be the most comfortable of those I've seen, well made, near impossible to escape from and well, it just looks cool :laugh: )

I was heading towards the Webmaster since it's something that can be used outside of the car too and I think that Kei would be comfortable sleeping in it during long car trips. However a few of the US sites that I have come across said that it's not recommended for car travel :laugh: Anyone know why this would be??

Also, has anyone tried the PetBuckle harness? and how have you found it?

Edited by SecretKei