Capstar For Fleas

kayla1

Edit: I find Advantage useful for 'sensitive' dogs, Frontline or Advantix for tick protection, Revolution for more 'washable' flea prevention with heartworm. The ability to kill fleas is quite similar but they have different characteristic and benefits.

Do you use all of these? I use Advantix on my dogs every 15 days. Do I need any other flea protection, particularly since they play with other dogs in the dog park?

Use all of them together? No, that's not necessary.

There are just different characteristics to each product that mean you might choose one over another for a particular dog.

Edit: I find Advantage useful for 'sensitive' dogs, Frontline or Advantix for tick protection, Revolution for more 'washable' flea prevention with heartworm. The ability to kill fleas is quite similar but they have different characteristic and benefits.

Do you use all of these? I use Advantix on my dogs every 15 days. Do I need any other flea protection, particularly since they play with other dogs in the dog park?

Use all of them together? No, that's not necessary.

There are just different characteristics to each product that mean you might choose one over another for a particular dog.

Thanks Rappie. I've seen a few people use flea collars with Advantix. Which is why I was wondering if Advantix by itself is not enough for flea protection.

Fran,

I ordered the Permoxin from Vet n Pet direct, fast delivery...

I am looking for a anti-flea treatment that kills before the flea bites, is there such a beast? Gilly has a real bad allergy to flea bites, so if there is something that I can use it would be great.

I am looking at Sentinel and Revolution... Comfortis is on the list cause the vet mentioned it,,,

For both Sentinel and Comfortis the fleas do need to bite the animal. Sentinel works differently to Comfortis so it's worth reading up on insect growth regulators.

I have a question about Capstar - it says that I can give it to a puppy over 4 weeks as long as she's more than 11 kg! So does that mean I can't give it at all, or could I give Luuka (4kg) a quarter of one or just nope not at all? She doesn't seem to be flea-ridden it's just that she had a bit of a bite at her tail before and I'm paranoid.

Oh of course, god I am silly, of course it's the bigger one for boofhead here! I just bought the one the vet told me to without thinking it was kg weighted :mad Will grab the smaller one sometime, am going to start her on Comfortis when she is 14 weeks.

capstar is designed to be used in conjunction with sentinel as sentinel doesn't kill all life stages of the flea cycle. From memory Sentinal stops flea eggs from hatching but doesn't kill the adult flea....thats where capstar comes in...Usually during the summer months it is bundled free with the sentinel packs

If it's a serious problem i would probably use the frontline spray, you can use it on puppies from 2 days of age and it lasts for 8 weeks it's also great for spraying bedding and kennels - Excellent at killing fleas - much better than the spot on treatments out there

Fran,

I ordered the Permoxin from Vet n Pet direct, fast delivery...

I am looking for a anti-flea treatment that kills before the flea bites, is there such a beast? Gilly has a real bad allergy to flea bites, so if there is something that I can use it would be great.

I am looking at Sentinel and Revolution... Comfortis is on the list cause the vet mentioned it,,,

Neem Oil is good as a repellent. Put it in warm rinse water. Smells a little bit, but with a girl with a flea allergy, I am prepared to put up with that. It also helps to stop the skin drying out.

On top of this, I use Advocate one fortnight and Advantage the other, so she is done fortnightly for fleas. Really bad in Brisbane for fleas this year, and I also use Capstar for a couple of days when she is bad to try and get some control.

Hello all

I am using Advantix on my Shih Tzu and Shih Tzu/Maltese and they are both covered in fleas! Seems like a waste of money to me.

My sister gave me a packet of Capstar to try, but it is for large dogs, would a 1/4 tablet be ok for my little dogs?

Thanks,

Conway

i have alwys used sentinal on my dogs, i like it as they swim in the lake everyday, it also covers heartworm so easy.

however got a new bully a few weeks ago and he had flea's, so i gave him a capstar, i also gave the other 2 one, just to be sure, my dally had the runs for 2 days, and cattle vomited twice. :laugh:

the vet told me spot on's were best, so i looked at them all, and have ordered revolution, as it does them all too. so going to give the bt that, and keep the other 2 on sentinal, bully doesn't swim :confused: