I'm A Bad Mum...

Today I was giving Sashy her nail trim... accidently went too far back (first time ever) and the blood started pouring out. I got some tissues and applied pressure until the bleeding stopped, then I soaked it in warm salty water, then sprayed on some doggy Betadine. Is this all I need to do? Can it get infected? Do I need to wrap or secure it in any way to stop dirt and germs getting in?

Probably dumb questions - but it's the first time I've almost hacked her paw off (exaggeration - but I feel damn awful :laugh: ).

Poor bugger doesn't like clipping nails at the best of times... but she deals with it. She gave a yelp and looked at me with the most hurt expression - but still she forgave so quickly and allowed me to play nurse... bless her.

Anyway, anything else I need to do?

Thanks!

(From the worst mum in the world today)

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Just keep an eye on it. If it starts to bleed again a home remedy if you have nothing else is push the nail into a bar of damp soap. It's a wound so it has the potential to get infected, but it's pretty unlikely and will heal very quickly - but she'll probably play on it for ages!

I would avoid walking her in muddy areas or in paddocks where there has been stock or lots of wildlife for two or three days.

ETA: You're not a patch on me - the only time I've managed to do this was on a 2 week old baby puppy which screamed like I'd hacked her leg off, and of course her mum wouldn't speak to me for a week - worst of all it was a white puppy and it did look like I'd chopped half her paw off :laugh:

Edited by Sandra777

Will do, thanks Sandra777. It's not too far back and didn't really bleed for too long - doesn't seem to be bothering her (other than the sooky la-la face she is pulling :laugh: ).

I will keep putting some Betadine on it for the next couple of days, and clean it in salty warm water to ensure it doesn't get infected.

I don't know who'll be more scared the next time I go to cut them, me or her!!

ETA - hacking off the paw of a cute lil puppy :laugh: yep, I don't feel so bad now at all! The toe that I cut on Sash is actually white too, so it looked pretty darn messy :laugh:

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Will do, thanks Sandra777. It's not too far back and didn't really bleed for too long - doesn't seem to be bothering her (other than the sooky la-la face she is pulling :laugh: ).

I will keep putting some Betadine on it for the next couple of days, and clean it in salty warm water to ensure it doesn't get infected.

ETA - hacking off the paw of a cute lil puppy :laugh: yep, I don't feel so bad now at all! The toe that I cut on Sash is actually white too, so it looked pretty darn messy :laugh:

Haven't clipped Rusti's nails yet and are there any tips on the best way?

CAREFULLY!

My best advice is to clip off very small pieces at a time. Firstly, have a look underneath and see how far approx you will need to cut before you get to the 'quick'. You can see this clearly from underneath (i always lay Sasha down on her side so it's easier to do this and comfortable for both of us). I only put a short piece of the tip and clip, then do a re-check to see if more needs to come off, or if it's close enough. If more needs to come off, I only put a fraction of the nail in and again clip and check. Bit by bit has always worked for me (and no one ever showed me how to do it so I'm no expert) - but I found that small clips at a time will keep you out of trouble.

The problem I had today is that I didn't follow my own advice and got cocky - one needed quite a trim so I stuck it in a bit too far trying to get it off... That's what I get for not being as careful - I wouldn't blame her if she didn't love me today - but she does. Gotta love a dogs forgiveness.

ETA - oh also, and not sure if this is right but it works for me, once you have measured how much you want to cut - cut firmly. I find if I hesitate or cut too slowly or gentle the nail breaks a bit and it seems to disturb Sasha a bit (not hurt her but she will look up at me). So carefully judge how much you will cut, then cut in a nice clean firm and quick action.

Edited by Kelly_Louise

I would actually avoid cleaning it - that will only disturb the clot. If the betadine is spray on then use it if you want, but I'm not a big fan of constantly "cleaning out" most wounds, it usually doesn't do anything except disturb the body's efforts to heal.

I wouldn't wash it all the time, it needs to dry out.

I would push the nail inot a bar of soap, or get Potassium permangenate (Condy's Crystals) from a Pharmacy , put a damp cotton bud in to cellect the crystals, then firmly apply to the nail. It stings a little but will stop any bleeding, it an antiseptic and was used for a long time for treating wounds.

As a side note it is used to make Chesnut horses go a nice Liver chestnut colour!

It isn't the end of the owrld, don't make a big deal about it or Saha will play on it bi time the next time.

Best bet - if you do cut a nail too short- is keep acting as per normal, if not bleeding badly keep trimming the nails on that foot, then place Condy's on it and continue trimming nails on the other feet. Do not pat, console or baby, business as usual.

We have all done it at one time or other, dogs that move, taking a bit much off etc.

It started bleeding again last night, so tried pressing it into the bar of soap as advised. Worked a treat - although Sasha didn't like it one bit (but tolerated it). It looks quite good today so have not done anything with it - will just keep an eye on it.

Am going to finish the rest of her nails today (only got through one paw yesterday) and will do it without fuss etc. I was going to finish them yesterday but thought if I pushed the matter it might make things worse - so gave her a break and start again today.

I guess I've just not seen the rush of blood everywhere and it scared me too - I felt awful, but apart from the bleeding it's not too bad and looks like the rest of her nails today (although a bit shorter LOL).

She's a good egg, although she doesn't like certain things she tolerates me doing them without fuss and knows i wouldn't hurt her. It's amazing the bond that can be formed in a year :o

Thanks for the advice guys :o

Will do, thanks Sandra777. It's not too far back and didn't really bleed for too long - doesn't seem to be bothering her (other than the sooky la-la face she is pulling :o ).

ETA - hacking off the paw of a cute lil puppy :o yep, I don't feel so bad now at all! The toe that I cut on Sash is actually white too, so it looked pretty darn messy :happydance:

Haven't clipped Rusti's nails yet and are there any tips on the best way?

Hey Seven, if you can ask the vet to show you (if you're there for any reason) that's always good.

Definitely invest in a proper pair of doggie clippers. I also trained Archie to 'stay' while i do it and preferably after he's had a good run or play and is tired. He now will actually lie down will I do it, I tell him stay and give him treats every now and then too.

You can also get him used to clippers and treat him a few times if that helps.