Lensbaby And Buying Lenses From The United States

carebear

does anyone have the lensbaby lens? i really want the composer and was checking online and i can get it for almost $200 cheaper by buying it from the US rather than online in australia (can't seem to find a stockist in brisbane)

just wondering if anyone has one? and whether anyone thinks it's ok to buy a lens online from the US?

I buy a ton of stuff from the US and have never had a problem. You may want to contact the company as some will require a photocopy of your credit card, though I haven't been asked for that in a long while.

I don't have a lens baby so can't help there.

Has anyone every purchased a camera from US?

I think you have to be careful with anything over $1000 as you might get slugged duty for it. Maybe GayleK can give us some info on that.

Also before you head down that route have a look at DWI it's heaps cheaper for cameras than any other online Australian site, AnnieK put me onto it. You might find it compares favourably with importing from the US once shipping and insurance is factored in.

Edited by Kirislin

Yep, bought my 30D last year from B&H in New York just before they discontinued it. It was under AUD1,000 so I didn't get hit with duty but you will if the price goes above AUD1,000. It arrived in 3 days!

Yep, bought my 30D last year from B&H in New York just before they discontinued it. It was under AUD1,000 so I didn't get hit with duty but you will if the price goes above AUD1,000. It arrived in 3 days!

and am I right in thinking it's like a grey market, if anything goes wrong with a camera bought OS Canon Australia wont cover it in the warranty period?

When buying anything you have an option of US warranty which any Canon importer in Australia will cover. You can buy a slightly cheaper grey market item which you need to return to B & H for repair http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/USGrey.jsp

I purchased a lens there recently, but wondered if it is too risky with a camera and the potential for damage.