Lost Nail On Front Paw

hilaryo

Help! My bitch has has lost a nail from one of her front paws. She is in so much pain. She can't even walk on the grass to toilet herself - I've been carrying her out. She tries to sleep but it must be throbbing. Is there anything I can do to help her?

To add to all this she is still feeding 3 week old puppies :o

Help! My bitch has has lost a nail from one of her front paws. She is in so much pain. She can't even walk on the grass to toilet herself - I've been carrying her out. She tries to sleep but it must be throbbing. Is there anything I can do to help her?

To add to all this she is still feeding 3 week old puppies :o

Head for the vet. If nothing else she might be given some pain killers that won't affect the babies.

You dont necessarily need to worry. It is not uncommon for dogs to pull a nail..... bit like with us and a fingernail. Hurts heaps but does settle down.

Have had quite a few dogs over the years do this (the problem with having dogs in pens). They are sore for a few days and you will see some swelling and redness around the nail area. Then the dog will just start to limp around carefully. After about 2 weeks the dog will seem pretty happy just a limp. After 3-4 weeks will be a big improvement.

I would avoid using any antibiotic when she is feeding the pups.

You can dip the foot in salt water to try and keep it cleaned.

depends on how much nail is ripped out. If it's exposed the toe bone you could have trouble if you dont get her to a vet and get AB's into her. Here's what my Pucky did earlier this year. I headed him straight to the vet within minutes of him doing it cause I could see it was potentially nasty.

IMG_3457.jpg