Airedale Pup

ncarter

one of my friends has an airedale pup. She is 9 months old, beautiful dog. She is still very mouthy and mouths quite hard. To teach bite inhibition would squelling and carrying on like you were really hurt be the best way to go? I think my friend wants to nip this in the bud because the dog is 9 months old now. She also jumps on me and other guests. I just turned my back to her and said bah and she eventually left me alone. I think part of the problem is lack of consistency and not enough stimulation. They have got a trainer to visit and are trying to do the right thing. Im wondering if anyone had anymore tips

I would wait and see what the trainer implements before flooding them with info

all I can say is though, remember this is not a baby anymore. I would be implementing a tougher routine then you would on a baby and dont be afraid to put your foot down, airedales are not marshmallows :rofl:

I think my friend wants to nip this in the bud because the dog is 9 months old now.

It's a bit late to 'nip it in the bud', at nine months of age the dog is rapidly outgrowing puppyhood, I gently discourage my puppies from mouthing as soon as they start at around 5 or 6 weeks of age, putting teeth on human skin isn't tolerated around here at any time.

Airedales have strong characters, they are not usually soft dogs and a little aversion therapy may be in order. Wait and see what the trainer says, but I'd be giving her jaw a not so gentle squeeze or physically removing her by the back of her neck with a strong 'uh-uh'. Then walk away and completely ignore her.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree with Miranda - this should have been stopped while the dog still had its baby teeth.

What's the trainer advising?

Sorry I took so long to get back to this.

The trainer said the same sort of thing as I did, screaming as if your hurt when the puppy mouths and ignoring it etc. My friend says she is sick of the dog mouthing and jumping up on people. It isn't actually her dog exactly, its really her step-son's dog but my friend has to live with it, step-son hasn't put enough work into the puppy so its a whole family problem. Part of the problem I think is a lack of consistency from everyone in the house. Do you guys think this a case where it should just be tough love and consistent leadership or do they need to start to think about getting a behaviourist in?

With the jumping up I would turn my body and put my hip into the dogs chest if it were my dog and then ignore it. I havent spent much time with this dog but when she mouthed me I grabbed the scruff of her neck pretty hard and said 'bah' in a deep voice. This didn't deter the dog at all, it was like she thought I was just playing with her.

Edited by ncarter

I have only had the one Airedale so I am by no means an expert. But when he was little I did both the yelping and the growling "Ah ah" (as the yelping didn't seem to be working). I'd also give him a chew toy when he started biting to bite instead. It took a while but he evenutally got out of it. I used to have a terrible time with him jumping up on me when I would come home from work. When I came home I would totally ignore him until I was settled and changed and ready to pay him attention. (this was suggested by a behaviourist). It took nearly a year but now he no longer jumps on me when I come home. This was between one and two years so I don't think that it is too late for the jumping. Unfortuantely he still jumps up on everyone else though because they encourage him (despite telling them to ignore him when they first see him and acknowledge us first) so it would help if you could get everyone to be consistent. I think it just takes time...or my boy is just "special". They do need definate leadership and with mine, it doesn't matter how you scold him or how you angry you are, he thinks he has done the greatest thing in the world. From what I've read they do not learn well from negative or physical punishment/training.

Hope that helps some.