Rspca And Policing Dog Laws

sandgrubber

In WA, the RSPCA has made it so that the Police will not involve themselves with anything to do with animals after they were sued! Yes, the cops made a bad judgement, but in doing so they removed a threat that was endangering the lives of people (Very large kangaroo playing chicken on a very busy road).

I haven't heard of any cases about wrongful seizures of animals in WA. It is hard enough to get inspectors out to very obvious cases of neglect even with multiple complaits from several people.

Saying that, we did have an RSPCA inspector our to our property many years ago after our neighbour complained we (or at least my grandparents at that stage) weren't feeding our sheep enough. Inspector came out and told my grandparents to put the sheep on a diet...

"So I do think it is the people in the RSPCA that are the problem. But it does seem wrong that such a large area of governance is left to a charity rather than a government organisation."

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that last statement.

The R.S.P.C.A is the only organisation with enough clout seen to be working to improve things and actively working for animal welfare on a government level.The govt. is only too happy to listen to them first and last as it saves them having to do too much work in an area most have little understanding of.

I still believe education should come before any further legislation is considered. This won't happen unless people get off their butts and lobby for it,preferably with R.S.P.C.As co-operation.

I think R.S.P.C.A may well join in such action if people can offer constructive input and feed back on why legislation should be a last resort and how education could best be acheived (through schools)

Any alternative views to the R.S.P.C.As will need to be very well organised and vocal to be heard at all,but such an alternative could well work for every one.

So DON"T leave it up to the R.S.P.C.A

Edited by moosmum

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely there are enough voices on DogzOnline to mount a challenge to the RSPCA. What if people were to join up and run for office???

I agree completely. I'm afraid it's easier to just curse the RSPCA. In WA we don't find the RSPCA much of a problem (or are there people they've bothered who aren't speaking up). I'd guess that's historical accident, not a result of good organisation in the K9 community. I would say it's the VIC and maybe QLD/NSW people who need to mount a a challenge.

So I take it you haven't read about how people who were identified as members of a canine council were refused membership? Serious question. It is a bit hard to run for board if you aren't a member, and a bit hard to be a member if they exclude people from certain groups.

Surely there are enough voices on DogzOnline to mount a challenge to the RSPCA. What if people were to join up and run for office???

I agree completely. I'm afraid it's easier to just curse the RSPCA. In WA we don't find the RSPCA much of a problem (or are there people they've bothered who aren't speaking up). I'd guess that's historical accident, not a result of good organisation in the K9 community. I would say it's the VIC and maybe QLD/NSW people who need to mount a a challenge.

So I take it you haven't read about how people who were identified as members of a canine council were refused membership? Serious question. It is a bit hard to run for board if you aren't a member, and a bit hard to be a member if they exclude people from certain groups.

No I haven't. Where is this documented? Has it happened in WA? (We're a long way from East, often in more ways than km. When I did my PhD, one of the geography profs was fond of saying propinquity is the first element of causation.). Was there more involved than 'members of a K9 council' involved? Was 'being member of K9 council given as a reason for exclusion from membership?

Edited by sandgrubber

No I haven't. Where is this documented? Has it happened in WA? (We're a long way from East, often in more ways than km. When I did my PhD, one of the geography profs was fond of saying propinquity is the first element of causation.). Was there more involved than 'members of a K9 council' involved? Was 'being member of K9 council given as a reason for exclusion from membership?

Can't tell you which page, but it is in the main thread about Judy Gard, and was verified, NSW I think. As far as I know, no reason given and nothing more involved than the fact they were members of their dog CC. I hadn't heard about it until now either and was disgusted, but not surprised. I take it from your pro-rspca stance that you are somehow involved with them, only employees or the very naive could ignore all of the horror stories posted on DOL over the years.

Can't tell you which page, but it is in the main thread about Judy Gard, and was verified, NSW I think. As far as I know, no reason given and nothing more involved than the fact they were members of their dog CC. I hadn't heard about it until now either and was disgusted, but not surprised. I take it from your pro-rspca stance that you are somehow involved with them, only employees or the very naive could ignore all of the horror stories posted on DOL over the years.

Yes - I read that in the Judy Gard thread too, I think. But couldn't tell you which post or by whom. Maybe about half way through the thread? Or perhaps one third in.

JDavis ...... I too suspect Sandgrubber is an RSPCA employee, or has some connection. But I don't blame anyone who does work for them, to want to support the RSPCA, at least as far as the good that they might do. Especially as what is happening in Victoria is potentially worse than in other States. I'd probably feel like I'd been tarred as well, if I worked for them, and hurt that my own intentions are good, honourable and genuine, but that thoughts of this are washed away with the wrongs of an RSPCA in a certain state.

Are RSPCA's across the nation connected in any fashion? I would presume so. Otherwise they'd be a bit like franchises, wouldn't they? If they are connected, then the RSPCA's of other States should join to help remedy the "nut cracker" (quoting Mita's expression, I think) actions by the RSPCA here in Victoria.

And if there is a connection, then there MUST be a "head" some where ..... an overseer who has the responsibility of RSPCA policy and performance?

Even franchises have "oversee'rs" who draw up policy and govern performance.

QLD was pretty bad when I was up there as well. I searched the national site and could not find any avenue to make a complaint or any contact details other than for the standard stuff, plenty for giving them money though. My email asking rspca Vic how I go about making a complaint has not surprisingly gone unanswered, will have to send some more and BCC in some extra people.

Not WA.

This happened in NSW.

The cheques for their RENEWAL of RSPCA membership were returned to both the chief of the ANKC and the chief of DogsNSW.

Fact.

Are RSPCA's across the nation connected in any fashion? I would presume so. Otherwise they'd be a bit like franchises, wouldn't they? If they are connected, then the RSPCA's of other States should join to help remedy the "nut cracker" (quoting Mita's expression, I think) actions by the RSPCA here in Victoria.

And if there is a connection, then there MUST be a "head" some where ..... an overseer who has the responsibility of RSPCA policy and performance?

Even franchises have "oversee'rs" who draw up policy and govern performance.

RSPCA Australia (located in Canberra) is responsible for drawing up national policies for the RSPCA which are then endorsed and adopted by the State RSPCA reps. However, how these policies are them implemented and 'policed' are up to the individual States which operate independently and is also influenced I expect by their relationships with the jurisdictions that manage animal welfare within their States. More information follows copied straight from their website. I believe there is very limited ability for RSPCA Australia to oversee or govern the performance of the individual states which I expect can be a serious issue when some state level RSPCA's "overstep the mark" and damage the reputation of the organisation as a whole.

I was going to suggest that people consider becoming a member of their State RSPCA so they then have the ability to vote on the membership of the Board etc. However I was surprised to read that members of canine councils have been refused membership. I wonder if Government is aware of this and, if so, if it would affect their representation on government advisory groups etc.

The RSPCA is often represented on these groups as they in turn represent the 'Public' however if they in turn restrict their membership to ensure only their supporters are allowed in I don't see how this can be seen to represent the public.

What We Do

The RSPCA is a community based charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection.

RSPCA Australia is a Federation of eight independent State and Territory RSPCA bodies called member Societies.

RSPCA member Societies do much of the hands on work traditionally associated with the RSPCA such as the operation of shelters and the Inspectorate plus community education and fundraising.

RSPCA Australia is home to a strong science and campaigns team, with a particular focus on farm animal issues. RSPCA Australia is responsible for facilitating national campaigns and events and representing the interests of animal welfare with Government and industry across all areas.

http://www.rspca.org.au/what-we-do/how-we-...-ourselves.html

However I was surprised to read that members of canine councils have been refused membership. I wonder if Government is aware of this and, if so, if it would affect their representation on government advisory groups etc.

The RSPCA is often represented on these groups as they in turn represent the 'Public' however if they in turn restrict their membership to ensure only their supporters are allowed in I don't see how this can be seen to represent the public.

It's an anomaly, one of many.

Would be good to see somebody take a fresh look at things in 2010.

Souff

• 3 weeks later...

I have not read about this, nor do I find it easy to believe. I don't find it hard to believe that someone would misrepresent events with respect to RSPCA. I wrote to the RSPCA and asked. It took a couple months for them to reply. The reply is as follows:

Thank you for your patience in waiting for my response. Whilst I did not believe it to be the case that we refused membership to people on the Canine Council, I also wanted to check with senior management. I can confirm that in Victoria, we do not exclude anyone on the Canine Council or any breed association. Exclusion from membership is only based on exceptional factors such as a prosecution for cruelty – of course, this could apply to anyone.

If you have any further concerns regarding this matter, please do get in touch with the RSPCA in your local area.

I hope that helps to clarify the situation regarding membership in Victoria.

Kind regards,

Fiona Atkinson

Events & Membership Manager

RSPCA Graphic Logo Deleted here

3 Burwood Hwy, Burwood East VIC 3151 | W: www.rspcavic.org

P: 03 9224 2262 | F: 03 9224 2507 | E: [email protected]

So, either someone is not telling the truth, or the person who was refused membership was refused membership for reasons having nothing to do with being on a CC. As our law uses the concept of "innocent until proven guilty", the ball is in your court to offer evidence that people are refused membership because they are on CC's.

Edited by sandgrubber

Sandgrubber not wishing to be rude but please note that your response to the RSPCA refers only to Victoria. The people who were refused membership were from NSW. I do believe however that people have been refused membership in Victoria too with no reason given, these people did not have any investigations or prosecutions against them. I recall someone who was a well recognised member of the EFA had this problem too. Someone is not being completely honest.

Having said that, if they've said they'll accept CC members we all need to join don't we?!

Sandgrubber not wishing to be rude but please note that your response to the RSPCA refers only to Victoria. The people who were refused membership were from NSW. . . .

Having said that, if they've said they'll accept CC members we all need to join don't we?!

Not rude at all.

Sorry. Most of the DOL complaints about the RSPCA seem to be directed to the VIC branch, and there is a tendency in these discussions to tar the RSPCA as a whole for policies implemented in one state branch. I agree, it would be good if CC people would seek membership in the VIC RSPCA. [i'm in WA .. . haven't heard many complaints about the RSPCA here other than my own problem that they are not allowing chook-farmers to use recycled egg cartons for farm-sales].

If there is, indeed, a problem with the NSW branch not accepting CC members, why not embarass them the denial of membership -- which flies in the face of widespread Australian values?

Edited by sandgrubber