Fatty Lump.

t a i l s.

Hey everyone,

I'm having her taken to the vet on monday but I would like to ask the DOL community what they think.

Tinkerbelle is a "Australian Bulldog" (pretty much from what I know and can tell, she has Stafforshire Bullterrier, Bullmastiff and English Bulldog in her).

Her first birthday is on the 24th of December and I am concerned about a lump that recently 'popped up' I mean that in a literal sense aswell, I only happened to notice it being there a few days ago, and being a shortcoated dog and the size of it, I'd say I would have noticed it as soon as it occured.

I did some research on google, and I'm fairly sure that it's just a Lipoma or a fatty tumour but what I'm most concerned about it the fact she is not even a year old and they've already started occuring, I read that Lipoma's are rather common in older aged dogs.

I've taken photos today, as she seemed to have hurt the lump and actually removed a large portion of skin. It hasn't caused her any discomfort at all, I honestly don't think she's even noticed.

I am able to touch it and apply water to clean it and she doesn't bat an eyelid.

There is now a much, much smaller one on her right hindleg which also hasn't caused any problems.

2agvord.jpg

here you can see it in proportion with her body, 'tis fairly easy to locate.

51ydyx.jpg

71r9dz.jpg

and I had to add one of her spooning my laptop, lol.

332no6a.jpg

It looks like it has ulcerated... if it has, it will need antibiotics...

OK now from my point of view, ALL lumps should be aspirated to be sure that they are just 'fatty lumps'... The vet takes a fine needle and withdraws a few cells from the lump and checks them out under the microscope.

I wish I had insisted on this with Ollie's lumps when they first started showing instead of just taking the vets word that they are more than likely 'fatty lipomas'...

you can't google a lump, you need to have a needle put in it, pull some cells out and see what it is exactly. If it's iffy, take a biopsy and have it properly identified by a laboratory :laugh:

Anything that pops up that fast needs to be seen by a vet ASAP, from the looks of it it could also have a fluid component

Doesnt look like the fatty lumps my 3yo gets all over her. She has had one on her back near her tail and one near her neck burst and both cleared up after I got all the fatty cheesy type substance out. I did show my vet the last time we went in and he said they are sebaceous cysts. I clean them up with Betadine.

From your pics they do not look the same, (the cysts my dog gets can be moved around if you feel them) are you sure your dog hasn't got a grass seed and its got infected. Have you bathed it? Is anything coming out of it? Unusual place for a S cyst.

I would also be concerned that this is on the joint and that another one has popped up at another site on the leg. Limbs are quite uncommon places for lipoma's and they don't usually occur in dogs so young too.

Definitely off to the vet to find out exactly what they are, IMO.

Thanks everyone.

Her vet was extremely suprised at the size of the lump and yes it turned out to be an infected grass seed.

$267 later they had removed a grass seed from the smaller lump on her hind leg that wasn't even a mm long. Argh!

And they weren't able to find the larger front one so hopefully it has fallen out.

I'm glad it's over and we know the cause but jjeeeeeez Belle, how did you manage to get one we didnt even find.

This is the second time she has been to the vets for grass seeds, and after the first whenever we left the house for a walk we checked her all over for grass seeds.

You're driving me nuts Bill.

Lol

Thanks everyone.

Her vet was extremely suprised at the size of the lump and yes it turned out to be an infected grass seed.

$267 later they had removed a grass seed from the smaller lump on her hind leg that wasn't even a mm long. Argh!

And they weren't able to find the larger front one so hopefully it has fallen out.

I'm glad it's over and we know the cause but jjeeeeeez Belle, how did you manage to get one we didnt even find.

This is the second time she has been to the vets for grass seeds, and after the first whenever we left the house for a walk we checked her all over for grass seeds.

You're driving me nuts Bill.

Lol

Trot down to your local horse supplies shop and get yourself some silicon based Show Sheen or Show Silk. Spray it liberally over her body and legs every couple of days. Not only will it make her nice and shiney, it will help stop grass seeds adhering to her coat.

Pesky things aren't the? :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Lilly got a grass seed abcess under her chin a couple of years ago, she was 10 at the time and she reacted to the GA and had to have her heart restarted. :(

She has a long coat so we are so vigilant checking her everyday now, since she is 13 now and the surgery would be even riskier.