Furry Paw Pads

Teebs

I know I'm in WA so probably won't help you but I've seen flax seed oil for sale at a few pet supply stores here. One called Better Pets and Gardens and one small business one so maybe give a few supply places a ring?

My old girl has this hairy foot thing on 3 of her paws, we used to treat it with soaks and cream but it doesn't go away, just stops it getting really hairy, so now I just trim it down as much as I can and it's fine.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The moogoo scalp cream is great for fungal infections as well :rofl:

As to the dorito smell...i've always assumed that was just healthy cat/dog feet smell - all my cats paws smell of corn chips and have clean healthy paws (between pads etc) and same with the dogs if they haven't been treading in mud...but have clean healthy skin etc between paw pads. Curious...i'll have to keep a closer eye on them...lol...i love the corn chip smell of their feets! :)

this is a bad smell, normally if i sniff their paws, i can smell it, but this time I can smell it when he is sitting on the other side of the room! Very Strong

Mim, tried the pet shops, none had any

• 2 weeks later...

Update for those who were interested.

Managed to get a cheap dremel (thanks whoever posted that link!) so nails are being done a little most nights.

Not much difference in his feet at all...

BUT - tonight we had a huge storm, heaps of rain... he can now hardly walk, he wont let me touch his feet and they smell again :o

At least I know water makes them worse, I guess it has been so dry here that I havent noticed before!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but Pure MSM helps Keratosis in humans so may be something you may like to try. Moogoo has MSM in it if you have any.

This has been an interesting thread because Dante has pads like that and he has allergic skin disease but he doesn't lick his feet, I thought he was just odd.

Edited by sas

I sent my friend an email last night, this was her reply:
your dog paws have got keratosis - this is just a term for inflammation of the pads/nails/skin in general - thousands of causes and symptoms. in this case it looks as though the pads are kept too moist - probably half from overlicking, but i'd say an underlying fungal condition. it can also cause excessive toenail growth and toenail abnormalities - deformation and curling the wrong way/sideways, etc. if there is any redness or swelling between the toes as well this is pododermatitis - often starts fungal and gets secondary bacterial infections.

best treatment - soak feet in malaseb wash (you can get it from petbarn!!) once daily. dilute down 1 part malaseb to 9 parts warm water and soak for 10 minutes once a day. then dry off feet and apply cannestan cream (like us for tinea) once daily. if licking heaps, use vicks vaporub over the top - tastes disgusting and may deter him, or will have to bandage/use socks taped to leg to stop him getting to feet. try and keep them dry/clean.

you could also add flaxseed oil to diet - liquid 1/2 teaspoon once daily with food, can prob get thru petbarn too.

if can't manage all this, next best thing is betadine ointment smeared over pads twice daily, and try not to let lick off, but won't work as well.

I know what Keratosis is in humans and I really don't think this is what you're experiencing, I've done a bit more research and I don't think it's the same...

kp-main_Full.jpgMSM - Moogoo cream does help this condition.

This photo is a minor condition, it can be worse than this.

Edited by sas

I found this:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/dermabreed.htm

Naso-digital hyperkeratosis is characterized by an increased amount of horny tissue originating from and tightly adherent to the epidermis of the footpads and/ or nasal planum. It is an idiopathic disorder, most commonly occurring in older dogs. There is no sex predilection but the American Cocker Spaniel may be at higher risk. The nasal planum, which is moist, soft, and shiny in normal dogs, becomes hard, dry, rough, and hyperkeratotic, especially on the dorsum of the nose. Fissures, erosions, and occasionally ulcers can develop.

The digital hyperkeratosis involves the entire surface of all the pads but is most pronounced at the edges of the weight bearing pads and on the accessory carpal pads. The hard, cracked pads contain excess keratin, which makes walking painful. Fissures and erosions add significantly to the discomfort.

The diagnosis is made based on the clinical findings. If the naso-digital hyperkeratosis is present along with other skin lesions then a skin biopsy should be taken to confirm the diagnosis and to rule out other disorders that can also produce excess keratin in these areas.

Treatment can involve the mechanical removal of the excess keratin with a scissors or blade. Caution needs to be used since aggressive treatment can remove the normal protective layer and predispose the nose and pads to lacerations. Topical treatment includes hydration and the application of a keratolytic agent such as salicylic acid.

Then this: http://www.flealess.org/irishterriers/info...rkeratosis.html and the explanation: http://www.flealess.org/irishterriers/info...icdiseases.html they say it's a genetic issue.

Edited by sas

Question....for people who have dogs who have feet like this, is your dog an allergic dog?

Yeah! Asher has just developed this in the last couple of weeks... I'm thinking it is fungal as he's been chewing and the roughed up patches on his pads have changed colour... Normally he gets yeast down in the toes, between the pads, but maybe he's been licking the pads more this time?? We normally use Lamisil, so I will start using that on his feet and send the photos to our Derm anyway and see if we need to bring him in.

I've not seen it before: Zayda used to get fungal infection when she was much younger with her Allergies, but it was down between the toes again, not on the pad.

Dante has had it for as long as I can remember and he's been an allergic dog since 3 months old.

Be interesting to hear from others too!

Dante doesn't touch his feet though.

Edited by sas

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but Pure MSM helps Keratosis in humans so may be something you may like to try. Moogoo has MSM in it if you have any.

This has been an interesting thread because Dante has pads like that and he has allergic skin disease but he doesn't lick his feet, I thought he was just odd.

Angs had it.

Dante doesn't touch his feet though.

Asher doesn't normally either: the infection happens and THEN he'll lick when they are uncomfortable... so its not the licking that causes the infection in our case (assuming that this new thing is also infection)... Before we got Asher on antihistamines his whole pads would just peel away, again he didn't bother that UNTIL it got bacterial overgrowth... so maybe Dante has something similar in that the pads are growing /sloughing, but without the over growth... I know antihistamines weren't useful for him though, so that's obviously not the solution for you...

Edit: to make more sense

Edited by zayda_asher

Rained again yesterday, feet smell today... wish i could keep water proof boots on him!

The infection Zayda used to get in her feet was fungal... again in our case it was related to allergies, but it was in the wet weather that it would happen... We used to dry her paws well after being out and rinse coat with resichlor. This prevented it flaring due to being damp.

• 2 years later...