Question About Foaming / Frothing

princesszelda

Since Bella hurt her shoulder on Xmas we haven't taken her out walking (on vets advice). We decided today to take her out to a new spot since she was doing so well. When we got there she was sooo excited - jumping up, wanting to go everywhere. She wouldn't sit and have a drink and we noticed she was frothing or foaming at the mouth. We freaked out cause we have never seen this before with Bella and had only heard of it happening with dogs with raibis ( sp?)

got her back in the car, got her a drink and she calmed down right away. Should we take her to the vet or could she just have been overexcited?

Sometimes dogs which are excited or anxious will drool, and champ their jaws- therefore frothing like an espresso machine :laugh:

This may have been the case...

how about trying just walking her from home ..and see what happens ? The calmer she is- the less likely she will do something silly and hurt herself again. if she is walking in familiar areas, with you ,on leash, all should be relaxed :rofl:

edit to add- we do not have rabies in Australia!

Edited by persephone

Thanks for the reassurance. After we got her settled down we took her to a nearby park that she is very used to & she had a great time (no foaming at the mouth).

I think the worst bit of the experience was the look at some random guy gave us when she had foam on her chin...!

Thanks for the reassurance. After we got her settled down we took her to a nearby park that she is very used to & she had a great time (no foaming at the mouth).

I think the worst bit of the experience was the look at some random guy gave us when she had foam on her chin...!

Well.............Being a newfie owner, my life is full of drool when my dogs get exited.To the point I don't get exited :rofl: and a lot of my friends and the people at the kennel club expect it.

Katy and Annabelle don't drool that much, except when it is hot, but my previous boy Zacky and my gorgeous girl Abbey drooled buckets. I never went anywhere without a towel. It does tend to be a bit of a giant breed problem. It is why I have a sticker on my car "Droolz Cool" :laugh:

Wierdly my dalmatian girl does it all the time. She doesn't drool but she does have that espresso froth Persephone so eloquently referred to :)

She looks like she has a funny white bubbly beard on her face, it's quite hilarious. I've never known or heard of a dally doing that before LOL and I sympathise with the OP - the first time I saw her do it (when she was an adolescent) I thought she'd swallowed poison or something - but no, she's just happy.

Edited by spottychick

Glad to hear your dog settled down quickly. When reading your question my first thought was bloat I have saved my previous great dane twice when she had bloat the first time she had strings of drool hanging from her mouth which wasn't normal for her. By knowing what bloat was and signs and symptoms and by knowing my dog so well I was able to pick it up the second time just by looking at her lying on her rug. You need to act quickly if your dog bloats to help with their chance of survival. I am not trying to worry you and it may never happen but I would suggest you look it up and have an idea of what signs and symptoms you may notice. As for drool, you can't beat it I have to clean it up constantly and see it as part of the dedication of a great dane companion.