K9 Pro Training In Drive

K9: Busy isnt the word lol, but sure I can still talk on the phone, usually have an hour a day so if you need to hear the voice & will understand better, shoot me an email & I will let you know a time. :(

& yes they are all great replies, but like I said, spend time with some of these people who have done the course & their enthusiasm will rub off on you, they all rock!

I have filled out my questionnaire and sent it back, so now I'll wait for the next step :rofl: .

The enthusiasm is already rubbing off on me - thank you to everyone for your great replies :)

As Huski said "I think more DOLers who have done/are doing the course with Steve need to post their videos!". For all the other people like me who never knew a course in "Prey, Food & Pack Drive" existed!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm glad this has come up. :thumbsup:

I did some basic work (several workshops and a lesson) with Darcy as a youngster and haven't looked back - she works really well for both food and toys. Has a brilliant recall, can call her off anything that moves (or doesn't!) regardless of what's going on. I love the fact that she's so reliable off lead and can handle distraction with barely a glance - with or without reward on me.

I'd love to get that kind of reliability on Zee, my 7 month old, and hopefully prove that Darcy is not the freak that several think she is. :thumbsup:

Zee at 7 months does ok with food except when there is the soccer ball on offer - and then she blatantly refuses the steak and will only focus on the ball. She's far drivier than Darcy was and I reckon it will do both of us good to revisit this and work through it in full. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't forget that I said I'd put up a video of Zuma - so here he is (we're using food):

Thanks for the video Rivsky, if I can get that sort of focus with distractions I'll be one very happy little vegemite :laugh:

Indi and I are waiting for our first module to arrive, and I for one, can't wait!!!!!

Let us know how you go, gsdog2 :D

I definately will - and thanks to you Huski for letting me know about the course in the first place. It sounds like it's exactly what I've been looking for, and everyone here who has either completed or are completing it are all so enthusiastic (I love all the video's).

Now I think I'll have to learn about uploading onto YouTube :eek:

Let us know how you go, gsdog2 :D

I definately will - and thanks to you Huski for letting me know about the course in the first place. It sounds like it's exactly what I've been looking for, and everyone here who has either completed or are completing it are all so enthusiastic (I love all the video's).

Now I think I'll have to learn about uploading onto YouTube :eek:

You're most welcome! It's a great course. I am sure you will love it. Can't wait to see how you guys go ;)

I'm interested in this course and I'd like to hear from any DOLers who've already completed it. I have a 12mth GSD female who literally goes nuts over "any" ball and I'd like to learn how to harness this obsession correctly as I'm only picking up bits and pieces from here and other sites on the net. I would like to trial her this year and have taken her to classes since she was 8 wks, but she's not half as keen to work there as she is when I take her to the park and use the ball when training.

Thanks in advance

I'd take her to your local IPO club, you'll learn more about training in drive and get better results

I'm one of Steve's failed students. Between me, easily injured dog, house reno's, broken video camera and now being pregnant... I'm sad to say I'm yet to move beyond module 1.

No real excuses... I just suck.

That said it has been great and Steve is wonderful and very helpful... I'm just an extremely poor student with a very willing dog.

I'd take her to your local IPO club, you'll learn more about training in drive and get better results

Have you done the K9 Force program, Yesmaam?

I don't need to pay anyone to learn about this stuff. "We" have been training this way for years. What Steve does is good for some but if you want first hand experience from people who are actually out there trialling dogs using these methods then go to your local IPO club. The focus in an IPO club is competition not programs that cost you money depending on what you sign up for.......

I don't need to pay anyone to learn about this stuff. "We" have been training this way for years. What Steve does is good for some but if you want first hand experience from people who are actually out there trialling dogs using these methods then go to your local IPO club. The focus in an IPO club is competition not programs that cost you money depending on what you sign up for.......

But if you've never done the course how can you know a local IPO club would be better for anyone considering it?

Would love to know if my local IPO would be happy to take on my beagle and I, give us the time and knowledge that Steve has. Are many of the instructors there experienced with the breed and happy to train in food drive not prey drive? And training at the IPO club is free?

Y: I'd take her to your local IPO club, you'll learn more about training in drive and get better results

K9: Hi there & nice first post on the forum.

Some dogs don't do so well in group environments & neither do some people. My program is not the be all & end all & it isn't advertised by us like it is.

It doesn't work for every person or every dog either, there are a number of reasons for this but we try very hard to get people the very best results we can.

S: I'm one of Steve's failed students. Between me, easily injured dog, house reno's, broken video camera and now being pregnant... I'm sad to say I'm yet to move beyond module 1.

K9: Hey Sparky, your not seen as a failure by me, just one waiting to get that moment. As you know there is no time limits either so I am ready when you are.

No real excuses... I just suck.

K9: Some of your videos show real improvement, I would not give up on yourself just yet.

That said it has been great and Steve is wonderful and very helpful... I'm just an extremely poor student with a very willing dog.

K9: Thanks Sparky, life gets in the way for everyone at times, & so it should! Take your time, look after your growing bundle of joy (& congratulations), I be here when you need me. :laugh:

There probably are some great IPO/schutzund clubs out there that offer as useful a service as Steve does to pet dog owners. However, the IPO clubs I've visited tend to train dogs specifically for the IPO exercises (not day to day obedience under distraction), and aren't that keen on investing time in people with no interest in competing (and fair enough, too).

So I guess it all depends exactly what you're after, and what type of dog you have.

I've done Steves's TID course with my previous dog, and me and my dog both got a lot out of it. We probably would have gotten a lot out of attending a good IPO club as well, but there weren't any local clubs that were keen to accept a handler with an arthritic middle aged staffy with no intention of doing IPO! :laugh:

Sparky, it took me and my old boy simply ages to move beyond module one, but once we did, he was dynamite. Keep at it!

Who says you have to use TID for competition anyway?

I couldn't give a monkeys about trialling of any type, but attending more than one of Steve's seminars has given me insights into ways of working with my pet dog that have improved both his and my quality of life.

Problem with clubs as I see them is they can way be too focused on competition, they aren't interested in people who have below average talent! Not to mention some of the how shall I put it "know it all" characters that you come across with their own "expert" value judgements usually based on their own limited experience with their particular breed and "it's right because I have been doing it this way for so long".

Steve doesn't care who you are or how bad or good you are he cares that you get the results you want out of your dog and that might not include being a trialling genius, competition is not the be all and end all of life.

ETA Hmm not to mention just having googled IPO that it is only open to certain working breeds. A lot of the people posting here about their successes with the program would be excluded merely by the breed of their dog.

Edited by Quickasyoucan

wow, what an amazing position for you to take based on zero knowledge of the course. i have never done any of K9's courses but boy does your arrogance speak volumes about your club and training method!!!