K9 Pro Training In Drive

I'm interested in this course and I'd like to hear from any DOLers who've already completed it. I have a 12mth GSD female who literally goes nuts over "any" ball and I'd like to learn how to harness this obsession correctly as I'm only picking up bits and pieces from here and other sites on the net. I would like to trial her this year and have taken her to classes since she was 8 wks, but she's not half as keen to work there as she is when I take her to the park and use the ball when training.

Thanks in advance

Edited by gsdog2

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have completed it... although I don't think you will get to trialling this year if you start it! If you're anything like me or Huski (on this forum, who is almost finished) it's taken us something like 12 months to reach the fine tuning/proofing stage with our dogs!

I love training in drive, can't wait to get another puppy so I can do it all over again. But I will warn you it's hard work and a bit different to 'normal' training programs. I highly recommend it to anyone with a high (prey or food) drive dog. A good way to I guess test it out a bit is to get along to one of Steve's workshops and see it in real life.

For a bit of an idea on the training involved and also a bit of the final outcome check out my youtube channel (or Huski's as she has more videos than I do!). My link is: http://www.youtube.com/nicoleleyden and you can probably find Huski's in the youtube thread.

Best thing I have ever done, Ed is a different dog, as Seita said it takes a while, if you want to do it properly, but the time is worth it to get the results

ETA I think in a way its better (for someone like me) to get all the info from one person, I was researching on the net, and starting bits and pieces, and pretty much confusing myself but the structure of Steve's program was great, and left me with not too many ways to get it wrong

I understand Ed alot better in general than I used to, and its even carried over to Molly, though she could really do with doing the whole program herself, but I can read her better now

Edited by shoemonster

Hi gsdog2,

I have a 2 year old GSD that I am currently doing the distance training with. I am only on module 3 -seem to be going at snail pace at the momement :laugh:

I highly recommend doing the training with your dog. Mica and I have learned a LOT doing this package.

I had to start right from the beginning and get Mica into the idea of toys = good. She had heaps of prey drive, but due to my lack of knowledge wasnt chanelled properly from a young age. We went to obedience school of course but werent allowed toys, so it wasnt a real success with a dog that isnt that interested in toys.

The Training is very comprehensive and will give you a good understanding of both 'how' to train your dog but also 'why' you are doing what you are doing. I think for me the most inavaluable aspect of it is Steves ongoing support. He is always available to answer any questions and tweek the training if something isnt going well.

Despite my lack of experience, Steve has been able to guide me though every step, and so far I havent come accross an issue that he wasnt able to explain and assist with. I do remember being very frustrated at the start of the training when she would have off days, or wouldnt work out of her comfort Zone, but with everything I have come accross Steve has helped me address it and move forward.

Oh and the best bit is Mica LOVES the training, and looks foward to it everyday. I enjoy it to.

ETA. I have just read the other replies, and yes it does take a while to do. Im slack and am only part way through after 6months.

Edited by laeral

Does anybody think its worth attempting with an older dog :laugh: . Obviously I am not about to pull her out of the ring for 12 months as she doesn't have that sort of time on her hands but have been wondering if it might be of some even limited benefit.

9 Shoemonster but certainly doesn't look 9 and we won't be back in the ring for a few months as I won't trial her in the warmer months as I am wasting my time. She is still just as food driven now if not more then she has ever been. Actually she has a reasonable amount of prey drive too I am discovering at the moment. Bought about by competition with Kenz and no training at the moment :laugh: . She doesn't approve of missing out while Kenz is getting all the attention and if that involves working for a toy then so be it.

Was only some far fetched idea I had since Kenz isn't starting the TID stuff until after the Adelaide seminar well possibly a few weeks prior - Steve wanted to see and assess what was happening with her before we did too much :laugh: .

I completed the distance module on training in drive with Steve from K9Force. I can highly recommend the course and find Steve very personable, always prepared to help and an absolutely wealth of knowledge and experience.

My bitch Dyzney had very little drive, as for many years I had been quashing any drive during training, as part of the way I had always been trained years ago.

Although Dyzney was titled in several different disciplines, I could not get into the obedience ring because of our heeling. All my years of lack lustre heeling training had made any dogs I was training very flat during heeling patterns, and this is why I wanted to do the course. I had heard about training in drive, and thought it might be the key to fixing my problem area.

And it was!!

Dyzney is now 6 and a half, and finally at the end of last year I entered our first obedience trial with her. She passed and won the ring. Since then we entered 2 others passed one with a high score and bombed the other, (my fault).

I am dying to get to Hastings for our next trial as I hope to get her titled then.

It is amazing how she works now. We use food drive with Dyz as that is her main drive area. She heels with focus and is super keen.

I am now inspired again to get back into obedience and am training my young lad in drive also.

Enjoy and good lyuck if you decide to go ahead with it.

Edited by dyzney

Thanks everyone for the quick replies -

Seita it was huski who suggested the course. I didn't realise there was a course on prey drive :laugh: .

(love the clip by the way :wave: )

shoemonster I'm the same - I've picked up bits and pieces, but I seem to end up with more questions than I do answers

laeral one of the reasons I'm interested in the course is because I'm going to "need" support. I like to idea of someone there to answer my questions when I lose my way :laugh:

How long is a module (for a slow learner :rofl: )

I completed the distance module on training in drive with Steve from K9Force. I can highly recommend the course and find Steve very personable, always prepared to help and an absolutely wealth of knowledge and experience.

My bitch Dyzney had very little drive, as for many years I had been quashing any drive during training, as part of the way

dyzney she has heaps of drive at the moment, and that's my concern, how am I going to handle it?

My bitch Dyzney had very little drive, as for many years I had been quashing any drive during training, as part of the way

dyzney she has heaps of drive at the moment, and that's my concern, how am I going to handle it?

The training in drive course is not only for developing drive as in my situation, but to harness and control it. You speak to Steve about your concerns and he will design the programme specifically to suit your needs.

My boy has plenty of drive also, and he is responding well to the training.

I think you would be thrilled you did it. :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the quick replies -

Seita it was huski who suggested the course. I didn't realise there was a course on prey drive :laugh: .

(love the clip by the way :wave: )

shoemonster I'm the same - I've picked up bits and pieces, but I seem to end up with more questions than I do answers

laeral one of the reasons I'm interested in the course is because I'm going to "need" support. I like to idea of someone there to answer my questions when I lose my way :laugh:

How long is a module (for a slow learner :rofl: )

You go at your own speed. Steve gives you exact guides of what you need to do, so you are not left wondering. and if you don't understand anything, you email or call him. I was on the phone to him a lot in the beginning. He was really helpful and never seemed to mind taking time to explain things.

I think from memory I got through the first one in about a month. Without going into to much detail, you will need at least 3 weeks for this one.

I have slowed up a bit as over winter I was really busy, then a snake bite (Mica), then illness (me) so I guess it has taken me a while to get through 2 modules. I am now well and truly stuck and trying to work my way around it. I need to contact Steve and get some help. :laugh:

It really depends on how your dog repsonds (and you for that matter!) and how much training you put into it. There really is no time frame, and is different for each dog I am guessing. You could get though it heaps quicker than me.

For those that have done the training how did you go with the attention/focus stuff? I cant for the life of me get Mica to look at me. very strange as she will normaly look me in the eye no worries. She will happily stare me down for 3 minutes waiting for her dinner, or will focus on me to get out the door etc. But this is a different kettle of fish. I will be asking Steve for his help but cant hurt to ask here as well to get some opinions. :laugh:

gsdog, why don't you just send Steve an email and ask him some of your questions and see how you go with that for starters or even give him a call.

:laugh: Best idea.

He is really easy to talk to on the phone and will take the time to answer all your questions.

Hi gsdog2,

I have a 2 year old GSD that I am currently doing the distance training with. I am only on module 3 -seem to be going at snail pace at the momement :laugh:

I highly recommend doing the training with your dog. Mica and I have learned a LOT doing this package.

I had to start right from the beginning and get Mica into the idea of toys = good. She had heaps of prey drive, but due to my lack of knowledge wasnt chanelled properly from a young age. We went to obedience school of course but werent allowed toys, so it wasnt a real success with a dog that isnt that interested in toys.

The Training is very comprehensive and will give you a good understanding of both 'how' to train your dog but also 'why' you are doing what you are doing. I think for me the most inavaluable aspect of it is Steves ongoing support. He is always available to answer any questions and tweek the training if something isnt going well.

Despite my lack of experience, Steve has been able to guide me though every step, and so far I havent come accross an issue that he wasnt able to explain and assist with. I do remember being very frustrated at the start of the training when she would have off days, or wouldnt work out of her comfort Zone, but with everything I have come accross Steve has helped me address it and move forward.

Oh and the best bit is Mica LOVES the training, and looks foward to it everyday. I enjoy it to.

ETA. I have just read the other replies, and yes it does take a while to do. Im slack and am only part way through after 6months.

It sounds like something during the training might be stressing or confusing Mica, to make her want to look away, or not look at you... but definitely one for Steve, I am really not sure exactly.

I have never had an issue with focus as such, so have not had that hurdle.

Sounds like you really have come a long way. sometimes we feel like we are slow or slack, but when you look back over what you have achieved, I am sure you have a lot to be proud of.

:laugh:

I am glad both you and Mica are over your illnesses.

Edited by dyzney

It sounds like something during the training might be stressing or confusing Mica, to make her want to look away, or not look at you... but definitely one for Steve, I am really not sure exactly.

I have never had an issue with focus as such, so have not had that hurdle.

Sounds like you really have come a long way. sometimes we feel like we are slow or slack, but when you look back over what you have achieved, I am sure you have a lot to be proud of.

:laugh:

I am glad both you and Mica are over your illnesses.

Thanks Dyzney for the encouragement.

I agree with something not being right. She will actively look away from me which is totally not like her. Not sure what is going on.

Until I speak to Steve I havent really been pushing the issue, just working on other stuff.

gsdog, why don't you just send Steve an email and ask him some of your questions and see how you go with that for starters or even give him a call.

:laugh: Best idea.

He is really easy to talk to on the phone and will take the time to answer all your questions.

After the great replies I've had (not one negative :rofl: ) I will contact him tomorrow - only I didn't realise I'd be able to speak to Steve (he sounds like a very busy person ;) )