K9 Pro Training In Drive

Huski, thanks for that.

Daisy is working extremely well. It is so hard to get continual focus from Beagles, like you say, just to keep her nose up is a chore in itself. You have done a great job. I can see that this time next year you will have at least one title beside her name and be on your way to CD also.

Her biggest distraction seems to be when she speaks, cute but. :thumbsup:

Well done. You must be very pleased. :rolleyes:

I agree dyzney. Huski and Daisy certainly are a good recommendation to start the TID course ASAP :)

If I can achieve half of what they've achieved I'll be very happy.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huski, thanks for that.

Daisy is working extremely well. It is so hard to get continual focus from Beagles, like you say, just to keep her nose up is a chore in itself. You have done a great job. I can see that this time next year you will have at least one title beside her name and be on your way to CD also.

Her biggest distraction seems to be when she speaks, cute but. :eek:

Well done. You must be very pleased. :D

I agree dyzney. Huski and Daisy certainly are a good recommendation to start the TID course ASAP :)

If I can achieve half of what they've achieved I'll be very happy.

Aww thanks guys :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

Daisy's not there yet but I know she will get there eventually.

You can see the difference in her if she's not working in drive, she lags or has her nose to the ground and is very easily distracted.

When she's working in drive it's so easy to do distraction training, she doesn't look twice at other dogs and forgets about the smells on the ground. And as you can see she does like the sound of her own voice too :) :)

The only regret I have is not starting her on it sooner!

Agree with other people’s comments – it’s fantastic. Best thing I could do with my dogs.

I spent ages on the first module because even though Annie had a high prey drive for birds and small creatures, she had no interest whatsoever in toys or balls. So it took months to build her drive for toys and then transfer it to something that could be used. Annie is only 5kg and we now use a small i-squeak ball. She lives for her training sessions.

Oh yes we a had a little problem with this as well. I still haven't been able to get the same attention from Mica that she would pay to say the chickens, and I'm not sure that I ever will. Probably just I'm not that good a handler, or she was older when we started??? Dont know.

Please, no regrets Huski.

I believe everything happens in the correct sequence and order in our lives. There is a very valid reason that you started it when you did as with me. Any sooner will not have been the right time for you. You were ready to open your eyes to accept something new when you did, and not a minute sooner or later.

:)

Actually, I just thought of something I could throw in here. This is a photo taken towards the end of last year at club training night, prolly October or November. The 2 handlers on the far right are myself and my husband. I am handling Jag who was approx 12 months or just under at the time and OH is handling Dyzney. This is a photo of all the members there on the night, so mixed class levels.

You can see how distracting it was lining all these dogs up together, and if you know anything about adolescant Rottweilers (particularly male entires), you will know that they can be full of themselves and quite a handful from about 6 months through to 3 years of age, :thumbsup:

Anyway, my point is, demonstrating how well focused Jag and Dyzney are in the photo and I credit this to training in drive.

Edited to add... not taking anything away from all the other beautiful dogs there, that may just have been having a moment :rolleyes:

post-27202-1262650354_thumb.jpg

Edited by dyzney

Great focus on both of them Dyzney :)

Do you train them both in food drive?

You're right about the no regrets thing, Daisy has only just turned three, so she's not that old yet :thumbsup:

Edited by huski

Husk, I only train Dyz in food drive. Jag has his "binney" which is his motivator (a rag), but he will pretty much switch into drive for anything that remotely resenbles a toy as long as it is newish.

Jag is not big on food much at all, hence why we don't use food drive for him.

And absolutely, Daisy is so young.

I still can't believe that I finally got Dyz into the obedience ring when she was closer to 7 than 6, and even then I only did it for a bit of a joke as other members were egging me on to do ot just to support the club and put in an entry. Sometimes I wish I had done it sooner, but then remember what I just told you :) Sure Dyz has titles in several other disciplines, but I had missed obedience for a while, so glad we are back into it again.

I am unsure how far I will worry about going with Dyz, but am using this more as learning for me to perfect things for Jag.

Edited by dyzney

K9: Thanks to all you guys that have mentioned how happy they have been with the results & those that posted your video's & pics.

I am really pleased with the program in its current state of development, all the programs I run are always under development so that they stay up to date with my most current strategies etc.

I initially had a lot of difficulty coming to terms with running these programs over the internet & began this by only having a module to help develop drive when I was going to be working with people one on one, sort of gave them a head start before the lesson.

Through great feedback from my early participants and a lot of time dedication on my part & also a lot of research & development with dogs I work with here at home, I was able to create a basic template for a number of programs, then with initial feedback we get from the first questionnaire sent out, I can personalise the program to suit the specific dog, handler & goal.

Once we get started then its feedback - feedback - feedback and constant tuning by me to work toward the end goals.

I have to say though that the people who have told of their results through this program are the real stars, they put in the work, give the feedback & train the dogs.

They make my job easy & deserve the credit.

I also love it when I travel to say Qld & get to see the dogs work right in front of me, like I was able to in my last workshops in Qld.

I saw Huski & Seita runhttp://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?act=post&do=reply_post&f=9&t=185863 their dogs and I think it was easy to see how very proud I was of their work. I still get emails from people months later now raving about how happy & motivated both Daisy and Ella were!

I also got to see some of Dysney's, Laerals & Kayla1s work when I was in Melbourne doing private consults and again, lovely to see the actual results in front of me. Again dogs that loved the work!

Seen plenty of Shoemonsters Ed as well, Super Ed (as I call him) transformed into a machine right in front of me (on video), driven dogs just really thrive on this program.

I will try & add some answers to individual questions now...

Best thing I have ever done, Ed is a different dog, as Seita said it takes a while, if you want to do it properly, but the time is worth it to get the results

ETA I think in a way its better (for someone like me) to get all the info from one person, I was researching on the net, and starting bits and pieces, and pretty much confusing myself but the structure of Steve's program was great, and left me with not too many ways to get it wrong

I understand Ed alot better in general than I used to, and its even carried over to Molly, though she could really do with doing the whole program herself, but I can read her better now

K9: Yep I really think that you will never understand a driven dog until you help the dog achieve drive satisfaction too, puts the final tick in the box for a lot of people.

L: I had to start right from the beginning and get Mica into the idea of toys = good. She had heaps of prey drive, but due to my lack of knowledge wasnt chanelled properly from a young age.

K9: This is the case with many dogs, they dogs genetic desire for drive success ends up helping the dog learn behaviours we would rather they didnt, so best to start with a young dog with no drive history, then write the book!

But Mica is just more proof like Dyz that its never too late!

D: My bitch Dyzney had very little drive, as for many years I had been quashing any drive during training, as part of the way I had always been trained years ago.

K9: It is pretty standard still for people to jump on drive the minute they see it, as it is usually linked to bad or hyperactive out of control behaviour.

When we train in drive it is still hyper active, just controlled good behaviour, 2 minutes looking at Seita's vid will demonstrate that.

GSDog2: Seita it was huski who suggested the course. I didn't realise there was a course on prey drive :) .

(love the clip by the way :rolleyes: )

K9: The course is on Training in drive, I run them for all positive drives, Prey, Food & pack & Yep Ella's work is awesome.

shoemonster I'm the same - I've picked up bits and pieces, but I seem to end up with more questions than I do answers

K9: Most people are the same, & it isnt anything wrong with the info, its that its a number of programs mixed together leaves holes.

Making mine work meant every step needs to be done before problems set in, so getting the order right for each dog is the key.

Some dogs we put in the release early, other later, depends on 4 major points.

laeral one of the reasons I'm interested in the course is because I'm going to "need" support. I like to idea of someone there to answer my questions when I lose my way :thumbsup:

K9: Each module prob gives you about 30 - 40% of the info you need, the rest comes from me through back & forward emailing etc.

You must keep emailing me every week so I can keep tuning.

So we will be stuck with me lol.

How long is a module (for a slow learner :) )

K9: I think our site says 4 months, not many are running to that schedule lol, there is no time limit.

G: dyzney she has heaps of drive at the moment, and that's my concern, how am I going to handle it?

K9: You dont handle it, you direct it, enjoy t & teach your dog how to use it.

R: I've just started my 10 month old on this (we're doing food drive) and really like what I'm seeing already and definitely have no complaints so far

K9: lol why would you Zuma is a machine!!!! I am pretty excited about this one & were only just started!!!

G: After the great replies I've had (not one negative :laugh: ) I will contact him tomorrow - only I didn't realise I'd be able to speak to Steve (he sounds like a very busy person :( )

K9: Busy isnt the word lol, but sure I can still talk on the phone, usually have an hour a day so if you need to hear the voice & will understand better, shoot me an email & I will let you know a time. :hug:

& yes they are all great replies, but like I said, spend time with some of these people who have done the course & their enthusiasm will rub off on you, they all rock!

Luvdogs: I have 2 questions, is it all positive training? and how much does it cost?

K9: There are usually no corrections, we need to preserve as much drive as we can get & rule of thumb is corrections reduce drive.

There is the removal of the reward, which is in fact an aversive to a driven dog, but we move in incremental steps to allow the dog to learn how to win more often.

We wont break your dog :hug:

G: That's the thing Huski she is ball obsessed, her life revolves around balls, any ball! But that's where the difficulty is for me, trying to get some sort of handle (can't think of a better word :hug: ) on this obsession she has. We have three dogs and I have to lock the other two up to throw the ball for her because she's so worried they're going to get to it first! When I train her I have a vest on with huge pockets to "hide" the ball and she watches my "pocket" waiting for the ball to appear. To me that's a great sign and I'm glad she loves the ball so much, but I need someone to guide me as to what to do with all this drive.

K9: Part of a complete program is to consider all things, for example my 2 shepherds are trained to work in drive for an orbee ball, my 6 year old boy who has watched Dad train the dogs walks out with the same ball I use to drive my dogs.

The dogs will not trigger on the ball in his hands, or any one else's hands.

Drive is triggered by "trigger phrase + me" not toy or other prey.

I dont have to have the toy, move the toy or the dog believe the toy is there to have drive.

Also, can I still go to our other classes? I really enjoy them, it's a really nice group of trainers (and dogs) and I'd hate to give it up

K9: In some cases with some dogs yes.

D: I can now show her the chicken wing outside the ring, take her in her class and complete it, then let her have the win afterwards (remote reward) and she is fired the entire time. focused on my like never before, happy, fast working and responsive.

K9: Yep remote rewards are one way we teach the dog that the reward does not have to be seen on the handler.

D: hehe huski, I don't do video, I am camera shy :laugh: Steve and I have an "in joke" about it too. He is always asking for one, but knows by now that he won't get it.

K9: Never say never....

Kayla1: Annie is only 5kg and we now use a small i-squeak ball. She lives for her training sessions.

K9: 5 kilos of power though lol, she has awesome drive!!!

Ok I think more DOLers who have done/are doing the course with Steve need to post their videos!

Kayla1, Rivsky, Dyzney, laeral - would love to see some other dogs getting stuck into drive work :hug:

Steve:

I have to say though that the people who have told of their results through this program are the real stars, they put in the work, give the feedback & train the dogs.

Couldn't do it without the great program you designed :hug: And all the assistance you provide! :laugh:

Ok I think more DOLers who have done/are doing the course with Steve need to post their videos!

Kayla1, Rivsky, Dyzney, laeral - would love to see some other dogs getting stuck into drive work :confused:

MMmmm dont know about that, I have some shameful videos. For some reason I have mostly been filming stuff that we are getting wrong to show Steve.

I dont know if I have anything I would want anyone to see :)

Wow! I didn't realise how many DOLers are doing/have done the TID program :)

MMmmm dont know about that, I have some shameful videos. For some reason I have mostly been filming stuff that we are getting wrong to show Steve.

I dont know if I have anything I would want anyone to see :eek:

I dont know about that Laeral, a few weeks ago I asked Steve to send me a video link where the TID training was being done absolutely correctly and with good technique so that I could get a visual on exactly what I should be doing ........he sent me a link to yours :thumbsup:

I do believe that I could "out shame" you in the video department right now :laugh:

I dont know about that Laeral, a few weeks ago I asked Steve to send me a video link where the TID training was being done absolutely correctly and with good technique so that I could get a visual on exactly what I should be doing ........he sent me a link to yours :thumbsup:

I do believe that I could "out shame" you in the video department right now :laugh:

:p :)

Well I spat the dummy this afternoon (not at the dog!) and was on the verge of giving up. Just dont seem to be getting anywhere at the moment. Her sits are getting slower not faster, how that works I dont know.

Allright I will be brave, heres the link -

She was very distracted with something in the paddock. We are just at the learning heel stage.

As I looked back at it its no wonder the poor girl won't look at me :) I was trying to bend down near the orbee to get her to transfer her gaze to me, kind of intimidating. She must think Im a nutter.

I have one Im trying to upload to YouTube which is just plain comedy. I am sending it to Steve as a "look at this please help" :eek:

I have seen one of your links Husky on heel work, you are inside I think in it. It looked good to me :rofl:

She has great drive Laeral!! I wish I had a dog with awesome prey drive :laugh: (well, I do, but he refuses to tug :eek:).

I have one Im trying to upload to YouTube which is just plain comedy. I am sending it to Steve as a "look at this please help"

PMSL I am literally doing the same thing right now!! Just waiting for the damn thing to upload :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys!

Wait till you see tonights one, there were some bugs that she was just dying to chase. Talk about mind not on the job. I think my shoes came off at one point to :thumbsup:

I think we need to see yours now SekretKai and Rivsky :laugh:

Thanks Guys!

Wait till you see tonights one, there were some bugs that she was just dying to chase. Talk about mind not on the job. I think my shoes came off at one point to :thumbsup:

I think we need to see yours now SekretKai and Rivsky :eek:

I am subscibed to your channel Laeral (and also Huski's), so shouldn't be too hard to find :) I'm not quite ready to embarrass myself here on DOL yet :laugh:

I only wish that Kei had half the drive that Mica has!