Walking The Dog Log

Daisy

Had a small walk last night and just took them out for a quicky :( as we may not get out later as i have to go pic a stray staffy up from the vets. Aleast he was microchiped but the owner cant get him till tomorrow morning as he is working till midnight :rofl: This is all going to be new to Hudson as i dont think we have had a rescue come in since he arrived :rofl: .

Hope tho's that arn't feeling well get better soon.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been naughty.

I have been telling myself I will start walking Jet for half and hour each morning but sleep keeps taking over... my alarm goes off then I decided I want to sleep more! I have walked him for half an hour about 4 times last week in the afternoon though and this week once so far :(

I will go tonight though!

go jetty jet! :laugh:

Have been out with Hugo this morning. I don't start work till later today so we had a slightly longer walk, and we also did some training on the way. He is doing really well with sit and drop and I am starting to teach him a commando crawl :rofl:

I haven't missed a day just haven't had time to post on here, I now walk one morning on my own with the four dogs all on lead. The alternate day my husband is coming, so we have found a huge area on our own to let all the dogs off lead. They are loving it because I don't let them of much because oscar is unpredictable with other dogs.

So its all thumbs up from me

Edited by mish13

Daisy can you please add me????

I am shocking, and rarely walk Bosco. I made a vow that I would walk him EVERY DAY this year, and have so far maybe taken him twice. He is not the sort of dog to go stir crazy if he doesnt get a walk, but I know how much he loves it, and I always have an excuse, whether it be the weather, too tired after work, or just keep hitting the snooze button in the morning.

Now that I have outed myself, I might have that motivation to get off my a*** and actually not hit the snooze button, and get up and take my boy on the walks he loves and deserves!

Our 10-minute around the block turned into a battle of the wills yesterday. The morning round wasn't too bad but the afternoon was plain torture! Our trainer from the kennel club says I'm to stop dead when Max pulls, let him go to the end of the lead, and then wait for him to come back to me and to reward him when he comes back. Well, 10 minutes and about as many meters later both of us were frustrated as hell. I have tried the changing direction using a 90 degree turn where possible so as not to keep walking up and down the same 50 meters of road :cry: but it wasn't working - he'd just pull in that direction too.

Eventually we got started and things looked like improving ... when along comes a lady with a labrador on a harness and lead but totally out of control. Her dog was barking and growling and just about pulled her off her feet to try and get to us. Remembering what I'd read on DOL I was going to try and keep walking but the dog was pulling her directly into our path. To my right was an aggressive boerboel x behind a fence going ape so moving in that direction wasn't an option. To my left a normally quiet road was now busy. I got Max to sit, while she tried to get this horrible dog under control, eventually she managed by lifting it's front feet off the ground and pulling it away from us.

I had very little control over Max at this point, he only had eyes for this lab, he wouldn't respond to his name and he was pulling like a train to get to the lab. I was so frustrated - I'm obviously not doing things right. :laugh:

We'll have another go this morning, around the block at the Vet's where I have to go first thing to check on their new server.

Our 10-minute around the block turned into a battle of the wills yesterday. The morning round wasn't too bad but the afternoon was plain torture! Our trainer from the kennel club says I'm to stop dead when Max pulls, let him go to the end of the lead, and then wait for him to come back to me and to reward him when he comes back. Well, 10 minutes and about as many meters later both of us were frustrated as hell. I have tried the changing direction using a 90 degree turn where possible so as not to keep walking up and down the same 50 meters of road :( but it wasn't working - he'd just pull in that direction too.

Eventually we got started and things looked like improving ... when along comes a lady with a labrador on a harness and lead but totally out of control. Her dog was barking and growling and just about pulled her off her feet to try and get to us. Remembering what I'd read on DOL I was going to try and keep walking but the dog was pulling her directly into our path. To my right was an aggressive boerboel x behind a fence going ape so moving in that direction wasn't an option. To my left a normally quiet road was now busy. I got Max to sit, while she tried to get this horrible dog under control, eventually she managed by lifting it's front feet off the ground and pulling it away from us.

I had very little control over Max at this point, he only had eyes for this lab, he wouldn't respond to his name and he was pulling like a train to get to the lab. I was so frustrated - I'm obviously not doing things right. :mad

We'll have another go this morning, around the block at the Vet's where I have to go first thing to check on their new server.

that is awful for you

when we had big dogs the in thing to do was to train them at home

no walks til they had rudimentary manners on lead

i dont know if thats current anymore

but wed practise in the yard or down a hall with our goldie who grew up to be a big boy

but then again it took us only til his 3rd vacc to get him to walk quite well and then the distractions had to be fine tuned in training classes

one trainer with a boxer said to loop the lead round a tree if they pulled....or a pole so theyd stop dead

lately they seem to use a lot of food ...tiny morsel for every step literally taken at the heel but if your dog isnt food orientated of course you might need to use a squeaker or something that its interested in

good luck

perservere or pay for a personal trainer to help

i know someone who rescued a two yearold big dog which used to pull his arm out of the socket but a few training sessions improved the situation greatly

Thanks for the advice percyk...I'm going to obedience school at the Port Elizabeth Kennel Club and they have been most helpful and thing have really improved a lot.

We had a walk around the block at the Vets this morning because I had to be there early to check on the new server I installed yesterday. The first 10 minutes were horrible, and then he settled and walked beautifully the rest of the way. I guess it was the first third that was so bad. It also helped that there were no other dogs around to distract him. That particular walk normally takes 15 minutes - but it took us nearly 25 this morning. Oh well, it was better than yesterday.

This afternoon I took his lordship out to the archery range where he was able to run off-lead for a full hour, chasing grasshoppers, butterflies and anything else that moved. He even got to interact with some children - not an entirely positive experience for him but then you can't win them all. He's now stretched out half in his bed and half on the tiles asleep :) :)

glad to hear things went a bit better today cuch :)

Today was Dozer's turn for a walk. I really didn't feel great when I woke up this morning and it was tempting to stay in bed, but I wanted to walk Dozer as he is my sons dog and I am worried he may be missing Alex too. Dozer is not very dog social at times, so while I am at work he is kept seperated from the other dogs, and Alex used to be home more than I was and Dozey used to hang out with Alex most of the time.

Ok - was back at work so Rosie missed a couple of days but my daughter and I took her out this afternoon :D and I am determined to get back to morning walks when school goes back *sighs* 5.30 is NOT my best time of the day but it definitely wakes me up :D

Hi dog walkers, We went to the park last night, even tho it was still hot here :scold: just a quick walk to the pond and back really. Unfortunately we had a big scare with some borderline agressive dogs off leash and out of control where they shouldn't have been and I'm not sure if I'm going to be brave enough to go back any time soon :laugh:

My dogs are ok, but they were all tied into the back of the car (station wagon) with the boot up while I walked 20m and put a set of keys I had found on a post so that the owner might find them, there were no people or dogs in sight and it was warm so that is why I left the car open. Across the other side of the carpark is another park, it is no dogs allowed, not even on leash! and bushes block all view into there. A bully breed dog came barreling out of there right when I was at the furthest point from my car no owners in sight, first it came to me, but was not friendly, then it saw my dogs in the back of the car and went rushing over to them. By the time I got there my dogs were looking quite uncomfortable about this dog there checking them out and I did not like his body language. I was considering what to do, as I didn't feel comfortable takeing hold of his collar (first time I've felt scared of a dog in many years) when a 2nd bully breed came rushing out, and towards my dogs, he looked totally agressive, so I quickly reached up and closed the boot of my car, catching dog noses (including my own) before he could get to my dogs too. once the car was closed these dogs were madly jumping up on my car trying to find a way in to get at my dogs and I was making my way to the drivers door when they decided they couldn't get at my dogs and started approaching me :rofl: not looking friendly. I managed to get in my car just as I heard the owners calling these dogs (to no affect) and drove away quicly, I think I sped the whole way home. I can't stop imagining what might have happened if one of them had jumping into my car, or if I hadn't gotten the boot shut in time.

How awful, Casima! I get so angry with selfish people like that. They spoil things for everybody!

Max is teething and not coping well at all, his tummy is sore again today (I'm debating whether to go to the vet with him) and he's not eating. I've been struggling now for three days to get him eating - he is picking at the food and not even tinned food or roast chicken is really tempting him. I had him at the vet on Thursday and they said I was over-reacting and he won't starve...so....now I'm in a quandry - do I take him down there on a Sunday or not? He seems happy enough just not eating.

Anyway, we've not walked because of it - I didn't think if he wasn't eating it was a good idea to walk him. We've been doing our homework for dog school and a little playing in the yard. I'm not sure if I should drag him to school today either...I'm going to phone the instructor and ask her advice.

Casima that would have been frightening :eek: We seem to have new people moved in around the block, they have two large dogs, look like bull arab types, possibly just mixed breed 'pigging' dogs, but when I walk past the corner these two dogs go off, barking madly - and their gate is only around 4 feet high so I am not actually game to walk down that part of the street now. Maybe they are perfectly friendly but I just don't want to risk it! Especially if I have my whippet with me because she is only tiny, or one of my greyhounds as they have to wear a muzzle and wouldn't even have a hope of defending themselves if these guys did jump the fence :D

Sorry to ehar Max isn't feeling well Cuchulain ;) Hopefully he will pick up in a day or so. I wouldn't worry if he is only off his food for a few days, mine seem to all do that now and again.

I haven't been out for a walk yet today, i was doing some housework early this morning and then came down with a migraine. I ended up having a sleep for a couple of hours and am feeling a bit better, might go out later when it cools down.

Edited by Daisy

Well done everyone - and thank you Daisy for starting this thread - it does motivate me to go out for a walk because I feel good being able to add to it.

What a pain about the off lead dogs - I would have been very worried - I am very concious of walking ours where it is on lead only - Rosie's recall is unreliable and Earl is a bloodhound and only a pup still - but that doesn't stop some people

Took them down to the beach this morning - first time Earl has seen a beach - he wasn't really sure about it but paddled around a bit - Rosie got very wet and even swam a little bit - which was good for her :eek:

Havent had time to my self the past few days to check in but i have been getting the dogs out even if it did kill me at times :). Been dealing with a dog that was waiting for its owner to turn up and had to help out with some stupid ppl that didnt know what to do and there dog was having the puppy's now :) . they would not take her to the vet didnt wont to pay for it but they rang the vet to get phone numbers of someone they thought would pop in to help :) I think i need to learn the word no :)

Thanks guys, I'm not sure what I will do about excercising my dogs, maybe give it a few days then go back. I've been going to that same park for 4 years and that is the first trouble I've had, I've gotta remember to be more careful on weekends tho as the weekend dog idiots come out and are usually not so reliable as the weekday regulars.

Sorry to hear about the feral fence barking dogs Daisy, they sound scary too ;)

Cuch, I hope Max's mouth feels better soon and he gets back to eating :grouphug: no advice here as I've never had to deal with dogs not eating before.

Well, I managed to drag my sorry butt out of bed this morning at 5 to 6 and I took Bosco for an hours walk! It nearly killed me, and he was getting a little slow by the time we got home, but I'm looking forward to looking and feeling better in a few weeks time, not to mention that it will also do the world of good for Bos.

Thanks Daisy for starting this thread - I just hope I can keep it up now ;)

I took the 3 whippies for a walk last night in the cool, it was a lovely evening here, it was only a reasonably short one, because my old girl can't walk for too long, but the younger one could walk for hours, so I need to be doing 3 different walks, 1 with Skye, another with Flynn and Jazz, and then another with my greyhound, but it all takes so long, and it is so difficult to take one without the others. I have to sneak around collecting leads so the others don't hear............the joys of it all. ;)