Walking The Dog Log

Daisy

Max has had a biliary scare and we've not been walking since Monday. I also no longer have an internet connection at home so will only be able to post intermittently until I move. Max is fine now and so I will probably resume our amble around the block every morning tomorrow.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Phew!! The malinut and I have just completed week 1 day 1 of the c25k (couch to 5k's jogging) program, I am a bit of a nerd so I got the iPhone app... we had tried last week but I bombed out about 20mins into the 30min workout :(

Rather proud of myself right now, the malinut could prolly run for another 3hrs but I am bleeping knackered! LOL

well done :thumbsup:

I am just about to head out for a walk, I have been away for 5 days and have had people coming and feeding the dogs, but they haven't been for a walk, so i am sure they will be happy to get out :)

Hi everyone,

I remember when this topic started - great to see it's still going - good work Daisy! :confused:

I probably walk Pete 4-5 days a week, it can be so hard to find the time when you're worrying about a million other things, or when it's cold and still dark in the morning. The worst thing for me personally is that when Pete walks its like he is on a mission to sniff out every single dog/cat he can - he's always stalking around for them and when he finds one he gets so revved up (all playful - with the dogs anyway - would hate to see what would happen if I let him chase a cat) but it makes walking rather unenjoyable if I go when others are out with their dogs..

Was all set to jog off eater eggs this morning but it's very wet in Adelaide today so I think we'll have to settle for a morning in, hopefully we'll get out this evening if it clears..

Hi everybody

I have been following your logs since January and finally have found the right moment to join in.

My girl is a 6 month old german shepherd and although I think she is good most of the time I am having some adventures with her on our walks. I crate her inside my townhouse which has a small yard out back. She is a spoilt pooch but I am quite strict and have high expectations about her manners. I'm walking her twice daily and we have regular visits to the local off leash beaches but these activities are carried out with mixed results. When I just read Pete the dog's post I could totally relate.

I want to thank you all for writing so honestly about the issues you encounter and the ways you deal with them. I have read other forums where people keep complaining about bad mannered dogs and I am afraid my exuberant puppy is one of those dogs. She gets in the face of every dog she meets, and although she no longer barks in their face, (with excitement) she is still too big and she threatens them I'm sure.

So I hope you don't mind if I jump in every now and then with a question; I really think you are a great group of positive dog owners who understand that not everyone has the perfect dog and we aren't all perfect owners/trainers

Hi abby dog, great to have you join us! :thumbsup: And don't feel bad about your dog's manners, I have a few problem dogs here - I always think that if I only had one or two I could spend more time with them and they would be better behaved. But I love them all, and we just do our best! My two easiest dogs to walk are my greyhounds, Clyde and Ryan, they are extremely well-behaved, but no credit to me , they were like that when I got them ;) Then there is Ari the whippety mischief maker, she is ok when walking by herself, but if we take one of the other dogs, she HAS to be in the lead at all times - thank goodness she is only very light, because if she was stronger I am sure I would get dragged along behind. And Dozer the staffy cross is the worst puller of the lot! He pulls so hard he wheezes most of the time - I really must look into a harness or something, but wouldn't you think he would realise eventually that a walk would be much more pleasant if he didn't half choke himself! And last but not least, Hugo the foster dog! Hugo is not too bad, except when he sees a tree (MUST pee on every tree!) or another dog (MUST go play!). And soon we will have another foster boy added to the family, a brindle greyhound cross that I am thinking of naming Steve.... or maybe Mike... watch this space! :thumbsup:

I was going to join you, but Kenny realised what I was doing & stopped me, he said he is quite happy with a quick walk to the front of our house & a sniff around, then straight back inside to snooze. ;)

c25k week 1 day 2 complete... Once again the malinut is wondering why we don't keep going, and I am ready to fall over!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would like to keep posting results, kinda makes me accountable and I am taking the malinut with me lol... would anyone like to join me? There is an iPhone/iPod app available, and also one for those who have Android phones (who get it free, lucky buggers lol) and more info can be found here... http://www.c25k.com/

edit to say - I would make a separate thread in this mystical off-topic I keep hearing about, but I can't access it yet....

Edited by Jake-K9

don't worry about taking over, you are more than welcome to post in here :mad I have been out with the greyhounds this afternoon, as I finished work early today. I am starting to get worried though, as I really really HATE winter, and i know that when the days get shorter and the weather gets colder it will be VERY hard to get out and walk, i am one of those people who really does hibernate in winter :)

A good set of thermals might help with winter outings? I have been looking at some Under Armour gear ( http://www.underarmour.com/ ), but I haven't managed to come up with the spare cash to order from the US yet (as I can't find anywhere that stocks what I want locally :/ ). I have bought some Heat Gear (stuff for when it's hot) from them previously, a singlet and compression shorts to wear under my uniform, and it's definitely good! No more sitting around feeling sticky after some exertion at work :) No experience with the Cold Gear yet but I have heard good things about it :)

thanks for that Jake-k9 :laugh: But I think it is a psychological thing more than anything. I am so much more active during the warmer months, even my house does not get cleaned as often over winter, all I want to do is snuggle up by the fire!

And keep posing away.... there is already a couch to 5k thread in off-topic that you could join.... I think you need 150 posts to be able to go in there :)

HI Daisy. What are the prerequisites for joining the Dog Log? :p :cry:

I can relate to the cold thing, of course it is never cold here so I have no excuse! I think the heat is worse, in Darwin the dogs were only able to have 10 min walks most days (heat) and were stuffed! I can see why there are a lot of overweight dogs there. The ground is scorching too....

So, where do I start? :laugh:

Go walk your dog and then post about it! :P

The weather here in Bris has been warmer the last few nights, but very humid during the early mornings, I made the mistake of leaving my car opened up the other night (as I am never far from it), and when it came time to head home in the morning everything was soaked, seats, steering wheel, gearstick was even wet LOL :/ Good thing I have the sort of vehicle that a little water doesn't bother...

Go walk your dog and then post about it! ;)

That's about it :cry:

You can jut pop in and say hi now and again, or log your walks every day, or even better tell us if anything funny or unusual happens on your walk :thumbsup:

A while back I was lamenting that nothing eventful ever happens when I go walkies.... then I think it was the next day that I managed to trip up a gutter, bruise hands, graze knees, really hurt my big toe.... just goes to show you should be careful what you wish for :thumbsup:

it was so cold when i got up this morning :laugh:

but with the help of trackies, some thick woolly socks and a scarf, Hugo and I still made it out for a walk :laugh:

eta, weather.com.au says it is 0 degrees here at the moment :rofl:

Edited by Daisy

BRRR! Daisy you really do need some nice warm wooly thermals LOL

It's around the 11* mark here in Ipswich already, and it's only gunna get colder as the night goes on :(

Decided to get off my arse and do c25k week 2 day 1 to warm up some, managed to complete it, YAY! :D