Neutered Male Query

Sonic

No, but I too will be interested in the replies.

When my 6 year old intact beagle was a youngster and I took him to dog off leash areas he would always hump the desexed males. I think the younger age the male was desexed the worse he was with them. I always imagined it must have something to do with their scent but really have no idea.

Edited by hilaryo

My boy was neutered at the age of 4 so he wasn't a youngster. It's something I've noticed with my entire males in the past though, that they are overly interested in neutered males. I have him booked in to the vet tomorrow so will ask the question.

Does anyone know why this is? I find entire males are trying to mount him constantly, even going so far as to go past my entire female to get to him.

The other dogs are rude and are trying to dominate him.

Your entire female would probably tell them off if they tried this on her so they don't bother.

No idea,

I had 2 boys, 11 months apart in age and without fail dogs would always hump the same boy. He would tell them off and ty and get away but it never stopped it. I asked a vet behaviourist about it as well when at a seminar and they couldn't answer why it was either.

And I don't take the "they wanted to dominate him" as we could be in a group of 15 or 20 dogs and he would be the 1 singled out. It could be dogs we knew well or dogs we had never met. Older dogs, younger dog, bigger dogs, smaller dogs. There was no pattern to it except that it was always Reagan, never Ricky or any other entire or desexed male there. It happened all his life, I owuld always have to watch out as he got older and had back end problems to protect him from other dogs wanting to hump him.

I am wondering if the loss of testosterone has feminised him. Do male dogs have estrogen? If so, perhaps the complete lack of testosterone but presence of estrogen makes him more appealing than an entire bitch who will carry some testosterone in her system. Anyway, that's just my theory?!? :rofl:

He is not a submissive dog and does not take this mounting behaviour with good grace. The dogs that try mounting him pay no attention to my entire male or my entire bitch. I would have expected dominance behaviour to be more directed at my entire male.

Edited by Sonic

He is not a submissive dog and does not take this mounting behaviour with good grace. The dogs that try mounting him pay no attention to my entire male or my entire bitch. I would have expected dominance behaviour to be more directed at my entire male.

Some dogs only pick others they can dominate.. or think they can.

He is not a submissive dog and does not take this mounting behaviour with good grace.

As PF says .... some will dominate because (a) they believe they can AND (b) because they think the other dog gives them a reason to (eg. because their own position might be questioned if they don't).

Some other dogs pick on the more submissive dogs because they are the ones they know they can dominate, so they like to 'put their stamp', so to speak.

My desexed male dog also gets humped quite often. He is a BIG tall boy and has dominant body language but is very passive and easygoing.His most common response to getting humped is to turn around and play bow at the offender..... :rofl:

I am wondering if the loss of testosterone has feminised him. Do male dogs have estrogen? If so, perhaps the complete lack of testosterone but presence of estrogen makes him more appealing than an entire bitch who will carry some testosterone in her system. Anyway, that's just my theory?!? :rofl:

From what I read many years ago, you're on the right track. Once a male is neutered other males see them as female. Can't remember if it said to do with the lack of male smell once done.

It's nothing to do with sexuality.

It is a dominance posturing by the other dogs. Some dogs particularly attract that.

Hi Erny

Do you believe that entire males trying to mount bitches is also dominance and not sexually based?

Hi Erny

Do you believe that entire males trying to mount bitches is also dominance and not sexually based?

If you're trying to get me to say that mounting is never sexually related, I won't say that because that would be silly. To answer your question, it is possible that entire males mounting bitches can be dominance based and not sexually based.

My boy will try and hump other boys, not because he's Gay or anything else sexual, he's a rude brat who likes to get the upper hand with other dogs, a behaviour I don't allow to occur.

We had an Airedale girl that tried to hump pretty much every dog she ever met. Male dogs used to get very confused, because if it was another male dog they would have obviously reacted and stopped it, but since the culprit was a female quite often they didn't know what to do. It was very hard to get rid of this, she was quite stuborn.

Edited by felix