Anal Glands

RnB

Looking for any info and or experience of anal gland removal?

My bully cross originally had one gland infected after swimming in skanky creek.

Recurring abcesses and scar tissue later, plus a scare with an odd lump

Has made the vets suggest removal of them.

Two vets say that the operation may leave her somewhat incontinent?

Thru possible damage to muscles and nerves?

One vet, and one lady whos maltese had a succesful op have suggested cauterization?

The other 2 vets say this is perhaps an unsafer method?

I know that my dog ( a bully x) is extremely clean and exceptionally fastidious

(Borderline obsessive compulsive disorder) :D

Any such bum troubles would play with her head badly

We are just trying to find the best options and knowledge b4 we go ahead and carry out the procedure.

Thanx in advance

Nyena

There is always a (slight) risk that the vet damaged nerves and muscles, therefor you have a change of incontinence of urine and or feaces.

Look for a vet who has done the op before, pref. multiple times so he/she is expierenced in it.

Good luck

Hi,

I'm unfortunately a bit of an expert with anal glands :D

Is there any chance that you can get away with only having to manually express the anal sacs on a regular basis?

If so, this is probably better than surgery :)

If you want, I can e-mail you lots of info about anal glands (be warned; it is probably a lot more info than most can stomach :o ).

Peter D

Incontinence is a risk unfortunately and its not one that can neccessarily be avoided due to the close proximity of the nerves to the area. Theres a few different methods of doing the surgery which go in and out of favour but the results are much the same - it really depends on the preference of the vet doing the surgery.

If you can get away with regular manual expression thats good, but with chronic inflammation you may find that the anal ducts are blocked so that the sacs with be difficult to express anyway, despite normal secretory function. Could make the problem worse....

Unfortunately quite past the `somewhat` normal `maintenance`stage, of expressing alone.

Being 5 yrs and after the 5th bout of probs (due to scar tissue from abcesses)

The general consensus amongst the 3 vets is removal, I am for this too...its just choosing the best method suitable for her. Was thrilled to be given the cauterization `option`... (thinking it less risky and invasive). Only to be told the same incontinent probs could possibly occur, and the `cauterization` could go to far?

Interested to know of dogs that have had to live with having them removed...

The the next step is `who` to remove them and `how` best to for her :D

• 3 months later...
Hi,

I'm unfortunately a bit of an expert with anal glands :rolleyes:

Is there any chance that you can get away with only having to manually express the anal sacs on a regular basis?

If so, this is probably better than surgery :)

If you want, I can e-mail you lots of info about anal glands (be warned; it is probably a lot more info than most can stomach :( ).

Peter D

Ricey can you PM me some details about anal glands please?

Shelby thinks the carpet is better then the grass to drag her bum and it is making me feel ill.

Cauterisation is probably easier than surgical removal, but much more difficult to have any kind of fine control. Cautery is pretty non selective - anything in the way of the tip is fried.

Hi,my gsd had anal problems and was treated with some Flagyl tablets and Neocort cream,my vet has successfully removed anal glands from dogs as bum problems are very common in gsds.so might be worth putting it to the vet and seeing what they say.good luck anyway.

Hi,

I'm unfortunately a bit of an expert with anal glands :)

If so, this is probably better than surgery :laugh:

If you want, I can e-mail you lots of info about anal glands (be warned; it is probably a lot more info than most can stomach :) ).

Peter D

Ricey can you PM me some details about anal glands please?

Shelby thinks the carpet is better then the grass to drag her bum and it is making me feel ill.

Hi gemibabe

I will e-mail you :laugh: . I have an instructional booklet on how to express anal glands that I put together for a brother of mine that owns a pug (pugs are renowned for anal problems :) ).

Cheers,

Peter D

One vet told me not enough fibre, one vet told me too much?

Royal canin rep told me quality fibre needed?

Have fed Neena on BARF and Advance turkey and Rice Bics but always add Bonnie Lite as this helps her have bulk poop...touch wood ...she hasnt had trouble since?

Also .... more exercise helpsl

OMG i have never smelt anythng so bad, i was unfortunaty able to express amys glands whilst giving her a bath yesterday (there was no sticking fingers up anything). I have a very strong stomach but that was gross.

I have changed her food and included more bones so hopefully we have not more icky smells.

Just wondering Ricey as when I was trained to bath my dogs I was shown how to do the anal glands as gross as it is I thought this being normal bath time. I have only ever done my own dogs but thought this subject would of brought out all the dog owners I know its bad but I have seen worse things on this forum.

Edited by Lenni