Camping In Northern Nsw With Dogs

oceanaussi

OH and I want to go camping at the end of Feb for a week. He wants to go to Northern NSW amd I have the task to find a suitable place. The caravan parks at Wooli and Minnie Water allow dogs but it looks pretty restricted to take them anywhere. All we need is a caravan park, beach and a Pub. Any ideas on where to go??? :thumbsup:

Edited by oceanaussi

OH and I want to go camping at the end of Feb for a week. He wants to go to Northern NSW amd I have the task to find a suitable place. The caravan parks at Wooli and Minnie Water allow dogs but it looks pretty restricted to take them anywhere. All we need is a caravan park, beach and a Pub. Any ideas on where to go??? :thumbsup:

Hi there, I would love to know some places in northern NSW to go camping with our dog too. The only place I know of and can suggest is about 4 hours north of Sydney, and that's the Manning River in Barrington Tops. Half of it is state forest and there's a great (but very basic) camping ground there where you can bring dogs. It's right on the river and it's just beautiful. The other half of Barrington tops is national park and dogs aren't allowed there, but if you're into 4WDing there's plenty of tracks in the state forest part, lots of beautiful drives, if that's your thing.

Good luck with the holiday! HAve fun :thumbsup:

South Ballina - camping grounds allow dogs and there is a great beach

Dunbogan, just south of Coffs.

Coffs also apparantly has a good caravan park in the middle. "Dog people" stay at the showgrounds and "abnormal people" stay in the caravan park side. They are basically side by side and its a walk to the beach. I think the place was Coffs harbour caravan park.

Sleepy little place. Laurietown across an inlet (bridged) has woolies etc.

Many caravan parks will not allow dogs if you are renting cabins/caravans. They will allow dogs if you have your own accomodation (tent/caravan). Some say only "small dogs". But for many of those I also managed to say they were obedience trained show dogs and got away with four on tour. I also had the dog trailer which helped me for the number. The "Big 5" group has a policy of no dogs. Try "Family caravan park group" and there was one other, but cannot think of their name right now. We just came back late last year from two weeks away with four border collies and a trailer.

The problem with Nth NSW is all the national parks. You cannot take dogs in. That was one thing we found an issue while away. If you liked sitting on a beach and chilling, fine, but if you wanted to go look at something you then become limited.

Mooney Mooney beach just north of Coffs, great little council owned caravan park & camping right on the shorefront !

the managers are so welcoming of dogs and its heaven for them, sandy estuary for romping & safe swimming & endless beach.

My wolfies just about climb out the windows with excitment when we pull up there !!!!

fifi

Thanks Mystikview, we only wanted to go somewhere around 3-4 hours away. We mainly want to go to the beach. Might go for a drive around but we could leave the dogs at the caravan. We have our own caravan. Can you take the dogs to the beach at Minnie Water/Wooli?

fif, the only Mooney Mooney I could find was near Gosford which would be way to far. But you say north of Coffs. :cry: Do you got a webpage or contact details? Thanks!

I'll second Moonee. I'm originally from up that way and Moonee is awesome, plus they have recently built a shopping centre there so you don't have to go into coffs. There are lots of little beaches all up and down there also and many of them allow dogs - Sandy Beach is a good dog beach, dogs are allowed up the north end of the beach.

OH and I went camping at Iluka (left the dogs at grandmas) and when we got there we were surrounded by dogs, made us feel a little guilty at leaving them behind.

Another about 15minutes south of coffs is North Beach Caravan Park, it is right on the banks of the Bellinger River and a short walk to the beach. It's a cute little town with a corner shop and a bowling club.

• 1 month later...

Oki, we're booked in at Moonee Beach Holiday Park and will be arriving this Friday. I can't find any information where I can and can't take the dogs... :laugh: When I go to the beach from the caravan park, is there an offlead area? If not where would be the closest one? Thanks!

Oki, we're booked in at Moonee Beach Holiday Park and will be arriving this Friday. I can't find any information where I can and can't take the dogs... :laugh: When I go to the beach from the caravan park, is there an offlead area? If not where would be the closest one? Thanks!

Arrawarra, which is north of Moonee has an off leash beach & allows dogs - right on the river & looking in to the ocean.

Just for another trip - we go to South Ballina a lot (the park nearest the beach) & has changed owners & they are great - verrrry dog friendly. I spoke with the owner about creating an area where dog owners could put their dogs when they want to go out ( a kind of creche area) & he thought it a good idea. Also I guess if you get to know others with dogs sometimes they may babysit for you. We also love going to Iluka as the Clarence Head Cara Park is very doggie & the water & pub are 150m away. All flat so don't have to drive anywhere - lovely walk along the river inlet in front of the pub. The beach is a fair walk but worth going as is off leash too.Mullumbimby has a little area on the Brunswick River at the Mullum Leagues club where you can camp on the river & has a small golf couse as well. Bit of a drive in to town but worth a w/end here too - turn right just before you get in to the town. Another good spot inland is "The Gorge" - is a farm at the head of the Clarence River - absolutlely beautiful (no pub tho'), a magic place. The last few kms are a bit rough but worth it - acres of pristine river to camp on & can walk or take a canoe or tinnie to the waterfalls. Was anly $15 per nite per carload so very reasonable - they bring firewood & pick up the rubbish. Their dogs sometimes come & say hello & are lovely too.Would love to hear of other places in the Northern Rivers as well as we are in Lismore & like different places. Hve fun. :laugh:

We usually just take them straight out the front to the estuary & beach out the front of the caravan park. I think there are some off & on lead areas, but over the years, every time we've been there dogs are running free on the beach area.

fifi