When Looking For A Puppy....

jess live die

I check all the shelter and rescue sites religiously, even though i am not currently looking for a new 4 legged friend (and next one i am pretty sure will be from a breeder).

Yes definitely. I searched the internet for weeks researching and looking at breeder's sites, getting a feel for their dogs and puppies and determining which breeder I felt was right for me. I found a fabulous breeder (she referred me here to DOL :cry: ) and my little boy is arriving on the 23rd of this month. I'm so excited :cry:

What did we do without the internet???

Are you talking about selecting a breed or finding a breeder?

I'd certainly be doing more to find a the right breeder than surfing the net.

selecting i like to see there sites before i look into them further

Some of the best breeders of dogs don't have websites Jess. My Whippet's breeder is one. I think he struggles to turn the computer on sometimes. :banghead:

I wouldn't restrict your searching to the internet. You want someone who's knowledgeable about dogs, not computers.

Have you selected a breed yet?

Edited by poodlefan

I wouldn't restrict your searching to the internet. You want someone who's knowledgeable about dogs, not computers.

Very good point - but isn't something like this just enough to get you wishing for puppy breath?? Warning - Exceptionally Cute Puppies / Dogs!!

ETA - I really think the above site is a great example of using the net to promote a fantastic breeder. If more people saw sites like this perhpas there'd be less MFs and MF mixes in pet shops? :banghead: They are everywhere these days.

Edited by LilDogsRule

Some of the best breeders of dogs don't have websites Jess. My Whippet's breeder is one. I think he struggles to turn the computer on sometimes. :banghead:

Many of the more experienced breeders do not have web sites. They know about dogs not computers, as poodlefan pointed out. Many of the very swish looking web sites are set up by breeders I would not send my worst enemy to. A good web site does not equal good dogs.

When looking at web sites things to keep in mind as a general rule, are:

Good breeders - list dogs by their registered name as well as their pet names, have pedigrees and health stats for all dogs, have stacked photos (not just heads and pet photos), have litters sired by dogs not owned by them, have details of some of the their dogs achievements, make mention of their retired/past dogs, don't make sweeping statements about how great their dogs are, don't charge more for different colours.

Bad breeders- list dogs by their pet names only, don't have pedigrees available to view, use their own stud dog/dogs to sire all litters, only have head or relaxed photos, have lots and lots of cute puppy photos, don't mention anything about achievements, focus on selling puppies not promoting the dogs in their kennel, often tell you how wonderful they and their dogs are, use bad photos with captions saying how perfect the dog is, make no mention of what happened to all their older dogs, sell puppies to anyone with the money and ship via internet orders without meeting the buyer.

Web sites are handy for checking out a breed but finding a breeder needs to be done on a more personal level.

oh no i havent the breeder i found wasnt on the net i looked in yellow pages and asked around from people who have these breeds and read up lot of breeders before i found one that i just felt was right

[

oh no i havent the breeder i found wasnt on the net i looked in yellow pages and asked around from people who have these breeds and read up lot of breeders before i found one that i just felt was right

What was it about this breeder that made you feel that way? What do they breed?