Puppy Mix Advice

mumsy

In regards to coat if all the breeds are what they think they are, it's likely you'd be getting a shorter coat. The coat may be quite thick though, on account of the lab. it's entirely possible that this dog will lose just as much coat as your goldy did... however opposite to some here, i find the short grey weimaraner hair easier to clean up than the long white strands of setter hair.

If it comes time to pick the puppy, make sure you observe the pups impartially before making your decision. Don't let yourself or the kids get attached to the cute naughty one chewing on your shoelaces if you don't think you want a full on, active adult, for example. But in addition to this, perhaps choosing a laid back pup might not work either since you want your hubby to run with it in the future. Perhaps ask the owner if they can start to observe the puppies temperaments now and give you an idea of what each one is like when time comes to choose. they may or may not do this and of course this is what sets registered, ethical and experienced breeders apart from BYBs. You haven't got a lot to guide you, because although they are all gundogs, temperament wise all breeds are quite different. Again, predicability lies in getting a purebreed, but to some degree you will be able to guage what these pups might be like as adults by observing mum and dad, and each pup impartially (stand back and watch them play).

Best of luck with your decision!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mumsy, I'd google "Vollhard Puppy Test" and ask if you can test the pups when they are 49 days old.

You need a 'stranger' and a new place to do the test. Your backyard might be the go. It's a useful indicator of the future character of the dog.

Thank you for all the good points.

The family are asking NO money for the pups. They aren't BYB, they are just uneducated dog lovers. I know this is the second litter for them. I think that because they aren't asking for money, they think it is just something nice to do.

I do understand all about BYB and resposible pet ownership. We also have cats. I don't encourage it at all but the pups are already here. I am not set on these pups at all but thought it deserved consideration. If we find a rescue dog, we would be in the same situation as far as info about parents etc.

I have sent an email to a couple of breeders about rescue animals but have not heard anything back.

Guest Kate_Summer

I wouldn't get a mix of those breed, labs & golden if I am not wrong usually are tested for hips & other things?

If you have a lot of money & are ready to spend it on a lot of unexpected vet bill, then adopting one is the way to go otherwise I would recommend you buy a pedigree from a well know Breeder & healthy bloodline.

Cheers

Edited by Kate_Summer

The difference is that a rescue will come wormed, vaccinated , microchipped ( which is the law ) and desexed . Ethical rescues will also do their best to match your puppy to your family and lifestyle and perhaps the most important thing is that they will be there to help you after you take your new dog or puppy home.

Guest Kate_Summer
Thank you for all the good points.

The family are asking NO money for the pups. They aren't BYB, they are just uneducated dog lovers. I know this is the second litter for them. I think that because they aren't asking for money, they think it is just something nice to do.

I do understand all about BYB and resposible pet ownership. We also have cats. I don't encourage it at all but the pups are already here. I am not set on these pups at all but thought it deserved consideration. If we find a rescue dog, we would be in the same situation as far as info about parents etc.

I have sent an email to a couple of breeders about rescue animals but have not heard anything back.

If they were really dog lovers I don't think that after the first time, they would have allowed it to happen again. Gently suggest that they get their bitch desexed.

I wouldn't get a mix of those breed, labs & golden if I am not wrong usually are tested for hips & other things?

If you have a lot of money & are ready to spend it on a lot of unexpected vet bill, then adopting one is the way to go otherwise I would recommend you buy a pedigree from a well know Breeder & healthy bloodline.

Cheers

OR get insurance! What do you suppose should happen to every dog that is large breed and dumped? Shoudl no one adopt them?

Mumsy - I would offer to pay for the bitch to get desexed as payment for the pup - but pay the vet direct

Cheers

OR get insurance! What do you suppose should happen to every dog that is large breed and dumped? Shoudl no one adopt them?

Mumsy - I would offer to pay for the bitch to get desexed as payment for the pup - but pay the vet direct

Yes, pet insurance is a very good idea!

Guest Kate_Summer

Cheers

Its not what I was saying, I'm only saying that they should make sure that they can afford all the hiccups, or in other words be prepared.

If you are thinking of it as a rescue with all the inherent risks that potentially come with it that is fine go for it. I do not like to encourage BYB's but these people are not asking for money so they are clearly not doing it for profit. I suspect the father of the puppies could be any entire dog in your area not necessarily the dog across the road so that is something to consider. But if you are fine with getting a puppy that could grow into anything then go for it. Not really happy that this is the second litter they have had (getting the bitch desexed after the first mistake would certainly have made sense).

IMO given it is raised in the house and is not in contact with umpteen other dogs it is probably safer to get this puppy then one from the pound as far as immediate disease issues are concerned. Anything after that is guess work as it is with all rescues.

We have had rescues and purebreds from breeders over the years and there is no guarantee one will meet your needs better than the other. Most of our dogs have been very special regardless of where they started life. We have only had one with significant behavioural problems and she came directly from a breeder, though some rescues have had health problems that had to be dealt with and that can be expensive. As far as how a puppy will turn out - a lot depends on you and the work you are prepared to put in to it. Sounds like a puppy going to you will get the care and attention it needs.

Your friend also having a puppy at the same time as you and from the same source means they can have contact/playtime with out you worrying about disease transmission. If you do decide on one of these puppies take it home via the vets and have it throughly examined and all required work done on it as you would with any other new companion animal joining your family. We have always had a vet visit before going home with any new kitten or puppy even from a registered reputable breeder - though in that case it is more a wellness check.

Goodluck with whatever you decide.

Thanks again everyone. Every day I do check the rescue section. I have been looking on pet rescue and have visitted a few animal shelters. I would dearly love a weimarana or a boxer, although my girls aren't fussed. We have also been looking at young adults as we aren't set on just a puppy. I will take all advice on board and no decision will be made without alot of thought. At the end of the day we are looking for a canine companion to join our family. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

:thumbsup:

Those pups sound ok to me. Parents are sort of similar types. If the pup is going to be coated, it should have some coat now.

ED, HD etc is a bit of a lucky dip, but if the parents are +2 and getting around ok, you'll just have to take your chances. Good idea about the puppy test, worth doing.

As long as the whole neighbourhood hasn't been in patting the pups, they probably wont have picked up any puppy diseases. Vaccinate after you take it. Get it vet checked for problems, heart, teeth etc as soon as you get it.

Pup will probably grow into a big boisterous dog, be prepared for that, do training, and all the right things. Sounds like they might be nice dogs.

I'd do it :laugh:

We will go and see the father of the pups tomorrow. He belongs to friends of our and apparently is short coated. The family who has him is lovely and has said he is a great member of their family. I will also talk to our vet regarding worming shots etc. and the time lines that will be followed. Thanks for the help everyone!

rememberdiesel.webs.com

I made this website because I have a BYB dog that although we did rescue (sorta) it shows the potential for what CAN go wrong and you have no backup of a breeder, health policy etc to help you in times of strife

if this is their second litter isnt it time they learned to desex the female ... producing more random pups in an already saturated random breed market is not just 'a nice thing to do' ... suppose it is when you spend no money on their health care or take responsibilty for what you produce

I completely agree with you about the breeding. Very irresposible from both families!! Some people just don't get it though. These people look like they have trouble feeding themselves never mind a house full of dogs. I by no means agree with what they have done!

Mumsy it sounds like you have good intentions and the fact that you are on here asking opinions is really great. Obviously the decision is yours but I worry that in your trying to be nice and taking one of these pups it will end up biting you in the a%$@ (not literally of couse :()

From the sounds of things your neighbours are nice people who simply have no idea, but you mentioned financially they are not too well off, so if something does go wrong with the pup they aren't going to be in a position to help you out (probably wouldn't any way) and having a pup fall ill on you can be a pretty sad thing for a family and especially kids. There is always a risk something will go wrong, but - as others have said - without the support of a breeder it could be that much harder.

As I said, I have a mutt and hes lovely and hasn't had any serious health issues so far, mostly likely nothing will go wrong, but the chances are higher than if you get a well bred purebred (and you'd probably end up spending more than the cost of a purebred in the extra vet fees of the free dog if something were to happen)

Good work on doing your homework and all the best :laugh: