My Dog Had A Fit

dunnwarren

The wonkiness you refer to is called ataxia. One of the many side affects of phenobarbital (PB) is ataxia. Your dog, being the age she is, will not have epilepsy and only further testing will find out what is causing the seizures. Seizures can be due to disease (cancer and similar), toxins (insecticides and insect bites) and trauma (a bump on the head). It could be a tumour or growth anywhere on her glands in any part of her body, a growth on the brain, liver issues and many other possibilities.

I am surprised that the Vet put her on PB so quickly. Normally, they would wait to see if there was going to be a pattern or more seizures. I can understand why you would be hesitant in putting an aged dog through the test and I also understand the costs associated with these tests.

The wonkiness you refer to is called ataxia. One of the many side affects of phenobarbital (PB) is ataxia. Your dog, being the age she is, will not have epilepsy and only further testing will find out what is causing the seizures. Seizures can be due to disease (cancer and similar), toxins (insecticides and insect bites) and trauma (a bump on the head). It could be a tumour or growth anywhere on her glands in any part of her body, a growth on the brain, liver issues and many other possibilities.

I am surprised that the Vet put her on PB so quickly. Normally, they would wait to see if there was going to be a pattern or more seizures. I can understand why you would be hesitant in putting an aged dog through the test and I also understand the costs associated with these tests.

He probably put her dog on PB so quickly because seizures can be very dangerous, especially in an aged dog.

Epilepsy can come on at any age, it does not always rear its ugly head in young dogs. Epilepsy is not a clarified "disease" either, it is a label given to seizures of unknown causes. Horrible, horrible condition to have or to witness.

He probably put her dog on PB so quickly because seizures can be very dangerous, especially in an aged dog.

Epilepsy can come on at any age, it does not always rear its ugly head in young dogs. Epilepsy is not a clarified "disease" either, it is a label given to seizures of unknown causes. Horrible, horrible condition to have or to witness.

I have never ever heard of epilepsy in an aged dog and it is not something a Vet would even consider I wouldn't think. The most common onset time of epilepsy is usually between the ages of 18months - 4 years.

I know personally what it is like to live with a dog with epilepsy. I have a Pug that was diagnosed with epilepsy more than 5 years ago. I live and breath epilepsy, it's causes, the new research and the old research. Althoguh, I am far from expert.

Edited by ~Anne~

Just an update, Bonnie went for a short walk with me to the kennels tonight, and although she's not completely steady on her back legs she is nowhere near as bad as she was this morning. She even ran a little way, not far though lol she's really not into too much excercise more the couch potato type. It's just so good to see her being able to walk without falling over.

Am glad for this, D. Seems it was the med dosage causing the wonkiness. What happens now? Is your Vet going to adjust the meds, or has he advised to keep her off it, or what?

Hope your girl gives you many more months and years of joy and happy life :)

Thanks Erny, I have to ring my vet tomorrow before I give her more meds, guess he will tell me then what to do next. Im just glad she is a bit better. I certainly wont stand by while she suffers, then I will be making the hard decision, I just hope I have her with me for a bit longer.

I just wanted to say I hope your dog is doing better, it's an awful thing to see a dog have a seizure.

Our Lab Sampson had one about two weeks ago, he is by no means an older dog either..he's just 18 months old. We rushed him to the emergency vet and were given several possible causes but for us it's a wait and see game if he has anymore we will get further testing done but at this stage it was a one off.

Keeping your girl in my thoughts and prayers.

Very sorry to hear about your dog i know how horrible and distressing it is.

We lost my little dog last night, she had just started having seizures yesterday. She was a 15yr old maltese with mammary tumors and spread into her liver, spleen and was going downhill slowly though still happy and would trot after the neighbors cat etc.. This was diagnosed 6weeks ago and we were told she didn't have long.

Yesterday she had a turn of sudden limping and quite distressed so into the vets in the morning for pain relief. She then had a suspected unwitnessed seizure after we got home and it was horrible, she had settled nicely and i thought she was sleeping comfortably. She came stumbling into the kitchen to find me crashing into walls, her back end kept going, she couldn't walk strait just stumble and fall over, then she started circling and walking into walls. She wouldn't let me hold her kept struggling to go, incontinence, panting and crying etc. Very distressing. Back to vet, she had lost her vision (perfect before) but had started coming out of it as in acknowleding our presence and walking bit more normally. Vet suspected brain tumor as some of the behaviors (gorging on water past week but normal tests of kidneys) pointed to this and told us prepare for her to go by friday. After much discussion we took her home to say goodbye and give her final love and cuddles. She settled ok, still panting but didnt seem to distressed and would sleep quietly. She had another seizure late that night in front of us lasting ages and came out of it very very distressed so it was time. Took her to the emergency vets and let her go.

I havent cried so hard that whole day since we lost her mum a year ago. Feel numb now.

I rang my vet this morning and she is now on 1/4 tablet morning and night. He says it might take a few days for her body to get used to the tablets. So now just keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh Legz I am so sorry to hear of your loss, I had to have our 15 1/2 yr old papillon put to sleep a few months ago, it's just heartbreaking even though we know we are doing the right thing by them. That is why Im just not ready to lose Bonnie yet but if we have to then we will. I have no doubt you have thought the same as I have "why oh why don't they just go to sleep and not wake up" :laugh: Your story has made we wonder, Bonnie seems to be drinking more then usual, not excessively, just more then normal, or am I just watching her more closely?

Legz, I am so sorry to hear about your little one. :(

I rang my vet this morning and she is now on 1/4 tablet morning and night. He says it might take a few days for her body to get used to the tablets. So now just keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh Legz I am so sorry to hear of your loss, I had to have our 15 1/2 yr old papillon put to sleep a few months ago, it's just heartbreaking even though we know we are doing the right thing by them. That is why Im just not ready to lose Bonnie yet but if we have to then we will. I have no doubt you have thought the same as I have "why oh why don't they just go to sleep and not wake up" :mad Your story has made we wonder, Bonnie seems to be drinking more then usual, not excessively, just more then normal, or am I just watching her more closely?

Increased thirst is another side effect of PB, this will also correspond with an increase in urine output. It is important to note though that the increase may also be related to something else, just as the ataxia may also be.

Other side effects of PB include - restlessness, increased appetite and an increase in aggression in some dogs. I haven't heard of the aggression being very common though but all other side effects are very common. Your dog may also experience nausea and the PB should always be given with food.

It must also be given every 12 hours as the drug drops dramatically in their system after 12 hours and they are at risk of seizure again.

PB can take up to 3 months to settle in the system, not days as your Vet advised. We usually see the body adjust to any new dosages within about 3 weeks though in our dog.

Edited by ~Anne~