Low Fat Diet For Beagle

Good Morning,

I'm after some advise regarding my Beagle, Jodie. She will be two years old at the end of April and is what the vet calls "plump". I'd call her fat. I'm not sure what I can do to change her diet to reduce her weight but still keep her full? The problem I am having is if I reduce the amount of food she receives she then starts eating my other dog's poo. I'm pretty quick to clean up after toilet in the yard but if they go when I'm at work then obviously I am not there to clean it up until alot later in the day.

This is what Jodie eats each day:

Breakfast - half a cup of kibble (science diet light)

Dinner - cup of mashed up brocoli and cauliflower, 3 small chicken necks

I used to be bad for giving her tib bits but have stopped it for the last two months and have noticed a difference (she is starting to get a waist line).

I was wondering if I should maybe only give her chicken necks once a week and change them for some sort of mince?

She gets regular exercise. 20 minute's on lead walk every morning and each night its about an hour of exercise. Half hour walking to the park and half hour of free roam around the park.

Any advise you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

Claire and her fat Beagle :laugh:

Good Morning,

I'm after some advise regarding my Beagle, Jodie. She will be two years old at the end of April and is what the vet calls "plump". I'd call her fat. I'm not sure what I can do to change her diet to reduce her weight but still keep her full? The problem I am having is if I reduce the amount of food she receives she then starts eating my other dog's poo. I'm pretty quick to clean up after toilet in the yard but if they go when I'm at work then obviously I am not there to clean it up until alot later in the day.

This is what Jodie eats each day:

Breakfast - half a cup of kibble (science diet light)

Dinner - cup of mashed up brocoli and cauliflower, 3 small chicken necks

I used to be bad for giving her tib bits but have stopped it for the last two months and have noticed a difference (she is starting to get a waist line).

I was wondering if I should maybe only give her chicken necks once a week and change them for some sort of mince?

She gets regular exercise. 20 minute's on lead walk every morning and each night its about an hour of exercise. Half hour walking to the park and half hour of free roam around the park.

Any advise you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

Claire and her fat Beagle :laugh:

Since you are already giving her some raw as in the chicken necks, why don't you consider a full raw diet? I have just googled Science Diet Light ingredients and you would be very surprised what is in it. Yuk. The first is ground whole grain corn. Dogs need meat. There doesn't seem to be any meat in this diet, only meat by products and meat flavours. Give her what a dog needs. You will be surprised just how small a quantity you need to feed and the poops will be small because the body utilises what is being fed. I'll bet her poops are big. There are many raw feeding groups where you can go for advice.

Sounds like you've already solved the problem. Now all you need to do is keep up your new habit.

From a dog trainer's perspective, I avoid any food with corn as it's main protein source. Being deficient in the amino acid l-tryptophan, it can cause behaviour problems.

If a vet said your dog is "plump", she's probably obese. Vets tend to understate weight issues to owners.

Feed her LESS. Separate her from your other dog if you have to. Eating poo isn't as bad for her health as being overweight anyway.

Broccoli and cauliflower are both cruciferous vegetables that can cause suppressed thyroid function in dogs. I would not be feeding them on a daily basis. Interestingly one of the symptoms of a depressed thyroid is weight gain.

Mashed pumpkin (no butter) would be a better option. Necks would be better than mince.

I'd swap the broccoli and cauliflower for pumpkin, feed less kibble and fewer chicken necks.

But what she needs is less food overall.

Edited by poodlefan

My girls were on the big side at 14.2kgs each and as one has HD, I decided it was time to get some weight off. We swapped to BARF and haven't looked back. They are maintaining a weight of 12.5kgs each and look fantastic.

I'm also for you swapping to BARF and trying to get weight off.

Thanks guys.

I'll cut the kibble out and give her vegies in the morning and one neck. Then vegies and two necks for dinner.

I didn't know about the brocoli and cauliflower causing suppressed thyroid function! :laugh: Thanks Poodlefan, will definately be swapping over to pumpkin.

Are carrots and apples alright? Both dogs LOVE bits of chopped up apple and carrot

Thanks guys.

I'll cut the kibble out and give her vegies in the morning and one neck. Then vegies and two necks for dinner.

I didn't know about the brocoli and cauliflower causing suppressed thyroid function! :laugh: Thanks Poodlefan, will definately be swapping over to pumpkin.

Are carrots and apples alright? Both dogs LOVE bits of chopped up apple and carrot

They are OK but pretty high in sugars. Your pudgy girl shouldn't be getting ANY treats. If you want them for training her, take them out of her meal ration.

I would suggest you mix up the meat ration with other small RMBs. Some red meat is beneficial for a dog's diet.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks guys.

Chicken necks are not enough variety. They are mainly bone and the dog needs meat. I feed the bone part of the meal in the morning and in the afternoon, I give a variety of meats that I buy from my own butcher. As long as you select the leaner meats, as well as kangaroo and perhaps goat, you can't go wrong. Putting her on the BARF diet is probably not a bad idea either, but you need to read up and study. It's not as hard as you think. I feed vegetables raw in a mix that I put through my food processor. These include a small amount of broccoli, beetroot, zuchinni, carrot, a small amount of cabbage and cauliflour. I microwave sweet potato and cut into pieces and mix through the shredded vegetables. I make up a very large bowl full and portion this out into containers and freeze. The dogs love it. Fruit tends to have a bit too much sugar, so could add to the weight problem.