Pet Store That Provides A Rehoming Centre For Awl

mita

We're always talking about the need for education re responsible & knowledgeable pet care.

A Brisbane pet store that won't selll commercial puppies & kittens, is now providing practical education re pets during 2010.

It already provides space & facilities for rehoming AWL Qld cats & dogs (with their adoption procedures).

Entry fee will be donated to AWL. And people will get a gift voucher to spend at the store.

Location is Mitchelton, which is a north-western suburb of Brisbane.

I'd like to see purebred information/education in stores like this, too.

Education Series

Ø 6.30-7.30pm last Wednesday of the month

Ø $5/person (profits donated to Animal Welfare League)

Ø All attendees* receive a $10 gift voucher to spend at Pet Headquarters *attendees that have paid

January 27th – Grooming

(tools, nail clipping, ear cleaning, shampoos, muzzle acceptance)

February 24th – Health Care

(vaccinations, fleas, worms, heartworm, ticks)

March 31st – Nutrition

(premium vs supermarket vs natural, ‘fussy’ eaters)

April 28th – Natural Therapies

May 26th – Pocket Pets

(rats, mice, guinea pigs, hermit crabs)

June 30th – Backyard fun for the home alone dog

July 28th – Aquarium Setup

(equipment, initial setup)

August 25th– Aquarium Maintenance

(water changes, medications)

September 29th – Reptiles

October 27th – Birds

(nail clipping, wing clipping, enrichment, cage size, exercise)

November 24th – Which pet is right for us?

BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL

33 Blackwood St

Mitchelton Q

PH 3354 1966

Edited by mita

What a great idea, and a generous fund raising offer from the pet store. I think it's a good way to raise awareness in the general public, who might not go searching for information but if they see that the pet store they pass and/or stop into regularly is providing the information for them hopefully people will take up the offer and learn something. Even if the sessions are only basic information, they might stimulate questions and discussion and encourage people to research further.

We often eat go out for breakfast in Mitchelton and can't remember when I last went but we had to go to the pet store to look at fish with my 6 year old. And at the time they had kittens there for sale, well I suppose not kittens young cats already desexed. The girl said they were going to be getting dogs that had come from a pound/rescue organisation which I thought was absolutely fantastic. At first I wasn't going to buy anything in the store because they were selling cats but when I found out they were fixed up and where getting dogs in to be adopted/rehomed. I thought it was really good of them. :laugh:

Let's hope this is the way of the future and all the pet stores that sell back yard bred animals get phased out of selling them.

I wish they did it here in SA, but unfortunately pet shops and BYB go hand in hand on the money trail.

Let's hope this is the way of the future and all the pet stores that sell back yard bred animals get phased out of selling them.

I wish they did it here in SA, but unfortunately pet shops and BYB go hand in hand on the money trail.

Not all Blue Fairy and some of us have tried for years to help rehome rescue cats and dogs - it isn't us stopping it - maybe contact the RSPCA and AWL. Sometimes death rather than rehoming is easier.