Tear Stain Removal

Zug Zug

My bichon has always had tear stains on his face, and a yellowed bit under his chin from drinking as well. I've never worried about it, but I am getting into the whole grooming thing at the moment and thinking about giving it a try.

He is an old dog (12yo) with fairly sensitive skin (minor problem from time to time). I can use the whitening shampoo with no probs.

2 choices with tear stain removal that I can see - covering it up (with chalk etc.) and tear stain remover (which I assume is a bleach but I'm not sure.

Do either of these option hurt the dog? I really don't want to put anything near his eyes that could be painful or inflame his skin.

Thanks. And thanks showdog - on reflection I think you're absolutely right. It hasn't bothered me for the last 12 years, so why worry about it now?

Thanks for the tip Hesapandabear (did I spell that right?). Deep down I guess I had my doubts about this anyway. This has helped me make my mind up.

there are 2 other options... scissor it out from infront of the eyes... or a dilutedsolution of lemon juice and water carefully applied with a cotton tip.. The lemons acidity will slowly remove the stain. But really like someone else said at 12yrs old and with the little staining your bichon has I wouldnt worry too much... Just try trimming the fur away and that will cause less irritation and less fluid. Hes very cute!