Dogs Eye Sight

Hi,

Need to start this post by saying I am not convinced there is a problem but I am not convinced there isn't also.

I have an appointment at vet but feel it might be unneccesary.

My 18mth old Collie sometimes barks at us like she does not recognise us, She will bark at people coming in the door. Not ideal but not the end of the world. BUT, we will walk into her sight and she barks at us like it is a stranger. It is always in the same environment.Same room, lighting etc. Outside it's fine. when I say the same environment I mean, she is in the rumpus room and we will walk into her view and bark at us like she does not know us. She has the natural light coming in behind her which may cause a glare I am not sure.

I know dogs see things differently, as in movement etc but is there such a thing as long or short sightedness in dogs???

I need to add, she is a blue merle collie with a bi eye. (really don't know if that makes a difference)

Have to add, she is from a reg breeder and full CEA etc eye tested and cleared.

ta

Edited by Colliewood

Ask a veterinary ophthalmologist to perform retinoscopy on your dog to check for short sightedness. It is a short painless procedure that is done without sedation or anaesthetic and checks the focusing ability of the eyes.... 'cos dogs can't read the chart!!

We find this is can be a cause in cases like yours. Often though, there is no visual impairment and it is a behavioural issue.

All the Best,

N.

Ask a veterinary ophthalmologist to perform retinoscopy on your dog to check for short sightedness. It is a short painless procedure that is done without sedation or anaesthetic and checks the focusing ability of the eyes.... 'cos dogs can't read the chart!!

We find this is can be a cause in cases like yours. Often though, there is no visual impairment and it is a behavioural issue.

All the Best,

N.

Thanks Elfin,

calling the opthalmologist back tomorrow (he did the CEA check) to get appointment.

I agree with you that more often it is likely to be a behavioural issue but it is very different barking to if a new person / stranger came into the house. It is genuinely like she does not realise it's us. There is something odd about it. She NEVER barks at us in any other situation, eg attention seeking. I would not put up with that. They are pretty well adjusted dogs.

ta