My Active Dogs

newfsie

Newfoundlands? Oh yes, complete couch potatos.. NOT. Usual story.. make one as fat as a pig and keep it unfit and it will hardly move.

Maybe people forget the role they were developed for.. and still perform to this day.

1.jpg

Water_rescue_dog_Italy_Sics_01.jpg

dog-photographer-of-the-y-2009.jpg

I love seeing Newfoundlands involved in water rescue. The Third Photo is of a Leonberger, also fantastic to watch in the water.

I love Newfies. I had a girl years ago and was devestated to lose her at not quite 6 years old to poison :thumbsup: Her father used to participate in the agilty demos at the Sydney Royal. He'd run against a Papillon :) It was lovely to watch. He didn't look like he'd fit through the tyre but he did :laugh:

I would love to get my Newf into agility but the instructors at my old obedience school were always so negative because he wasn't a kelpie or border collie! I guess people who don't exercise their Newfs might get the impression that they're lazy because they lie around a lot when they're at home, but really then you're just dealing with lazy owners!!! My boy goes for two walks a day and now that he's full grown can keep up with any of the other dogs at the park!

I would love to get my Newf into agility but the instructors at my old obedience school were always so negative because he wasn't a kelpie or border collie! I guess people who don't exercise their Newfs might get the impression that they're lazy because they lie around a lot when they're at home, but really then you're just dealing with lazy owners!!! My boy goes for two walks a day and now that he's full grown can keep up with any of the other dogs at the park!

I would not recommend agility for a Newf under ANKC rules. It's a big ask for such a heavy dog to jump so high. If you only wanted to train for fun, you'd be welcomed at our club and could jump a lower height but quite a few of the obstacles would be a challenge for a Newf to fit on/through.

I would not recommend agility for a Newf under ANKC rules. It's a big ask for such a heavy dog to jump so high. If you only wanted to train for fun, you'd be welcomed at our club and could jump a lower height but quite a few of the obstacles would be a challenge for a Newf to fit on/through.

We train only for fun and not under any rules.....I think we are just there to give the serious guys a laugh, whilst they are getting their breath back. I would give it a go if and when we are allowed to have lower jumps. Annabelle loves to climb and the see-saw, it is her joy. But I will not put her on any scrabbles, which are too slippery or high. And her all time favorite are the tunnels.

You can make your own newf style course like we have at home :cry: