My Active Dogs

newfsie

I have had a few newfs..............I had a discussion with someone who told me in no uncertain terms that newfs are just quiet lazy lie-about dogs, who do nothing.

I have owned newfs since the eighties and all of mine have been active dogs. We keep them quiet, whilst growing (if possible) but after that it is hiking, obedience and natural agility.

So I out out some pics to show him and thought I would post them

A lot of people think newfs are quiet gentle giants who lie around doing nothing.............:laugh:

Not so clean puppy..........Always busy puppy swims three times a day

2178462940048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

They just don't lie around quietly......Climbing newf, favorite pass-time

2417792480048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

2340850290048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

2528928080048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Crossing a log bridge

2613263100048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

2031747260048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Running newf..........With no reliable brakes = injured owner knees

2782203890048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Great photos, I love Newfies! :laugh:

I don't see why they wouldn't be active since the breed was traditionally used for very physically demanding tasks.

In my experience it is not uncommon for outspoken "experts" on a breed, to have never actually owned the breed :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It happens a lot with Jack Russell Terriers too.

Lovely pictures!!!

We had a Newf at the daycare I used to work at....he loved nothing more than "crazy time" with the fast dogs :laugh: He was a bit "lumbering" compared to the kelpies, but he gave it his best shot!!!!

There is a newf that walks around the lake near us - and he is certainly one of those lazy, gentle giant kinds. He doesn't walk so much as 'amble' along. He looks like he wouldn't break a trot if his bum was on fire, happy to take life at a leisurely pace :laugh: But OH so loveable, snuggable, and such a gentlemen.

Although he looks much bigger than your newf, and I suspect maybe a bit more 'rotund'.

I think people confuse 'calm' with 'lazy'. Also with some breeders aiming purely for a massive size their dogs do lack the necessary agility :rofl:

Beautiful photos :rofl: :rofl: though I am now sitting here with tears streaming down my face- I miss my old boy so much.

ETA: the running shot reminds me of what I used to love doing with Spike. It would totally freak passers-by out but I would walk away from him at the park, then call him and he would come BOUNDING over, flews flailing, looking all the world like a grizzly bear, then he would ram into me and I would fall at the same time (stunt fall :laugh: never had an injury), then he would lick me and flop down beside me with a big stupid grin on his face.

Edited by SpikesPuppy

Wow what gorgeous dogs, and fantastic photos. I especially like the one of the two sharing the stick, lovely and nice to see some action shots.

I must admit I was one of those under the impression that Newfs were a bit 'lazy'. Not anymore. I guess they are as active as their owners eh?

Guest belgian.blue

Lovely photos .. There is sometimes a Black Newf at the dog beach and I can't help but stare at him/her.

Do they require much grooming? How much do they shed on a daily basis?

Edited by belgian.blue

Lovely photos .. There is sometimes a Black Newf at the dog beach and I can't help but stare at him/her.

Twicw a year they have this major "blow-out ...Tumbleweed time, But I groom mine at least weekly and trim bellies in Summer and it is no worse then our GSD's and Scotch Collies

Grooming at least once a week-took me about 2-3 hours each session because there is alot of 'ground to cover' so to speak, and you must do it in layers right down to the skin as the undercoat is soft and fuzzy and will matt if ignored. During the twice yearly coat change I found I was grooming about half an hour every day/second day on top of the weekly session. However in the middle of summer when the undercoat was at it's least profuse the grooming for the body would drop to about an hour-1and a half hours per week as I didn't need to spend so much time with the slicker.

They shed quite alot, and the undercoat is fairly light so it floats around and gets into things :) but IMO, once shed, the hair is pretty easy to collect and vacumn (as opposed to smooth collie coat which is short and therefore more difficult to pick up from carpet). They drool, and mine wore a bib or had his chest groomed each day (bristle brush and spray on shampoo). Their coats tend to be rather oily and some people don't appreciate the feel- or the smell (they don't stink IMO but they do have an odour because of the oils).

Over summer I shaved a 'racing stripe' down Spike's belly as it a) gave the burrs & grass seeds one less spot to cling to and b)helped to keep him cool. I also kept his feet trimmed (underneath and between the toes on top of the foot) and in grass seed times I trimmed the fur from his hocks and on the front legs, upto the 'heel' pad.

(This was my experience with a neutered male)

Edited by SpikesPuppy

love the shots, Newfies are an awesome breed. One of my friends had some Newfies, and she used to tell how she was driving down the Hume Hwy, with the Newfie in the passenger seat, and a car pulled up beside her newfie looked out at the driver, then turned his head away (as if bored), and the look on the other drivers face was priceless. Your dogs look incredible too

Newfoundlands? Oh yes, complete couch potatos.. NOT. Usual story.. make one as fat as a pig and keep it unfit and it will hardly move.

Maybe people forget the role they were developed for.. and still perform to this day.

1.jpg

Water_rescue_dog_Italy_Sics_01.jpg

dog-photographer-of-the-y-2009.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

Newfoundlands? Oh yes, complete couch potatos.. NOT. Usual story.. make one as fat as a pig and keep it unfit and it will hardly move.

Maybe people forget the role they were developed for.. and still perform to this day.

1.jpg

Water_rescue_dog_Italy_Sics_01.jpg

dog-photographer-of-the-y-2009.jpg

This is my 6 month old baby starting her water training

2967080050048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

See Katy's water training post http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=188019