Can Dogs Recognise Different Breeds?

mongo1

Gee, how many times I have heard when a small dog yapps at mine:

"Sorry but he does not like German Shepherds". Never mind that my "monster" German Shepherd is on a leash and their little s..t is dancing around him.

I feel like these dogs are racists against mine :laugh:

:(:rofl: ;) You'll be pleased to know my Big girl loves GSD's :(

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that dogs do prefer their own breed, or another breed they've had positive experiences with. My papillons love each other and are always excited to see another pap, and they really love poodles because we've always had one. They love our big silver standard, to the point where he's nervous to go to the toilet because they all hover around him when he's busy.

However, although he likes the paps he goes absolutely mad when he sees another poodle or plays with his siblings on visits. The only kinds of dogs my paps don't like are terriers, especially staffies or bull terriers. If one of them goes past our trolley at a show that's when they get really nervous. Great fun in general specials where the toys are next to the terriers! Wonder if others have had a similar experience.

My dearly departed Hoffman had a real hate session with a GSD that beat him up and he could recognise german shepherds at any distance ever after, even if they were mere silhouettes on the horizon. Other dogs of similar size made no impression at all.

Gee, how many times I have heard when a small dog yapps at mine:

"Sorry but he does not like German Shepherds". Never mind that my "monster" German Shepherd is on a leash and their little s..t is dancing around him.

I feel like these dogs are racists against mine :bolt:

My Border terriers love GSDs :) Caber especially (Ziva is friendly but a bit more stand-offish when on leash, wheras Caber just wants to play play play!).

Actually, Poor Caber, as he loves fluffy dogs- he is fascinated by Shelties but most Shelties don't appreciate his forward nature, and many growl or bark at him... which only serves to get him MORE excited :laugh:

He doesn't like dogs that snuffle, either such as Pugs and bulldogs.

He is also untrustworthy with Staffords and AmStaffs, with the latter being next to us in group specials, I used to worry but fortunately he's now trained enough to just ignore them and focus on me instead :confused:

One thing I never understood though, was Caber hates black Newfoundlands- however he grew up with a black Newf who he got along with perfectly. He doesn't mind other coloured Newfs or other large black fluffies?? Weird :laugh: but that's Caber for you... nutso.

Don't know about other breeds but I think beagles definitely recognise other beagles.

I would agree with the labs/goldies too. I think they play in the same boisterous way. It was always great to see either another lab or a goldie at the park when my two idiots were young because I knew they could get the kind of play they needed without upsetting the other dog (generally). I've noticed that my Pointer is also drawn to other labs at the dog park - probably because he's familiar with the way that they play - he speaks fluent Labradorian.

I think they can... give Sasha a line up of 100 dogs, and she will without doubt be able to pick out the 1 lab in the pack...

Why? Because Sasha's best friend is a lab called MJ - so she thinks every lab, regardless of size, colour, age, sex etc is a future best friend :D

She just loves labs...