My Dogs Have Killed A Snake And Eaten The Head

Chocolate

Does anyone know whether a dog is okay after eating a snake head. I've found a dead brown snake near them and they have clearly been chewing it from the head down the hole head is gone. I'm worried as to whether the venom in the head could be harmful. Anyone with knowledge please respond.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK venom does nothing in the digestive track. It moves around in the lymphatic system. Usually stomach acid messes things like venom up pretty good.

ETA Otherwise Kookaburras and Jabirus would be dying of envenomation all the time. Lots of animals eat snakes, and all of them can still die of snake bite as far as I'm aware.

Edited by corvus

I'd be calling he emergency vet and asking them?

So would I. And if they suggest you get on down to see them with your dogs, take the rest of the snake with you for ID purposes. Let us know how you get on.

Does a snake need to be alive for venom to be injected? IOW, is it possible for any part of the mouth to be accidentally injected prior to ingestion?

Edited by Erny

Logically, snakes can bite without envenomating, so it would follow that it's highly unlikely accidental envenomation could occur with a dead snake. BUT, I wouldn't bet on it. A cranky snake may well have venom on its fangs when it died. A shallow scratch with a venom-containing fang is probably not gonna do much, though.

Again, animals eat snakes all the time. That's why they have all those warning signs they use before they bite, like flattened neck and hissing and rearing up.

ETA Otherwise Kookaburras and Jabirus would be dying of envenomation all the time.

but I don't think they crunch the heads first? They go down pretty well intact- mouths closed...THEN get worked on in the gizzard.

A dog may very well crunch the skull and open up the venom glands....

Thanks for replies guys. I rang emergency and they've told me to bring them in as they will most likely have been bitten. I'm going to go down now.

Good - I'm glad. It's what I would do. Better to err on the side of caution rather than guessing that your dogs are not affected. Don't forget to take the rest of the snake with you.

Gives me cold shivers but if it was a while since you found it, they more than likely havn't been bitten, hopefully, cause I live 5 houses form the vet and when my old GSD girl was bitten by a brown , well we thought she had, as she had blood all over her, and the vet said "Cant of been a brown, as she would of been dead by the time I got there. :)

As it turned out the snake had bitten her, the blood, though was from the snake, and yes it was a brown, as I had t go back and get it, :) and when I got it back the vet said Oh gee its not dead yet :) anyways the vet found that the fang was still in her nose, thats how quick she was, the fang was ripped out, and I have been told that there is a pad in the top of the mouth that when it bites down,it pushes on that pad and that releases the venom, so that is why it seems that she survived that attack, it obviously hadnt pushed down on that pad thingy .

I have also been told that even dead snakes should be treated with care, as if you do happen to get scratched by the fangs you can still get bitten( as such) but then dont know how true that is because unless you touched the pad thingy you wouldnt get the venom in/on you so not sure about that one. :D Unless as someone said the angry snake may of pumped some out into the end of its fangs :D

God I hate snakes :)

Good luck and hope your dogs are OK.

We're back from the emergency vet. The dogs are okay so far. I have to check they can walk okay and are normal every hour she said throughout the night. Apparently symptoms can take up to 24 hours to show. My past experience has been that the dogs react within a fairly short time if they've been bitten but appently it depends on where they were biten etc.

I think I'm going to take out pet insurance for sure. The emergency vet fees are so high. It was $300 just for the consult and tests costs a further $400. Then if your dog needs anitvenom you're looking at $2-3,000.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Glad all is okay Chocolate.

My rule of thumb is see my dogs withing striking distance of a snake and bolt to the vet hosptial.

You may get there and they are fine, however that extra time I leave it until they show signs could be the difference between life and death.

That is one of the exact reasons I have taken out pet insurance.

Far out!!!! $300 for a consult!!????!!!!! That is one super expensive vet!!! I hope your dogs are ok....sounds like they will be. Fingers crossed.

We're back from the emergency vet. The dogs are okay so far. I have to check they can walk okay and are normal every hour she said throughout the night. Apparently symptoms can take up to 24 hours to show. My past experience has been that the dogs react within a fairly short time if they've been bitten but appently it depends on where they were biten etc.

I think I'm going to take out pet insurance for sure. The emergency vet fees are so high. It was $300 just for the consult and tests costs a further $400. Then if your dog needs anitvenom you're looking at $2-3,000.

Thanks for your help everyone.