6 Day Old With Colic

scrappynsuzie

Hi guys.

I have a litter that is 7 days old today.

As I live out of town and have to travel 45 minutes to the vet my question is, One of my puppies has colic and i have to take her to the vet. Do i take the other two puppies and the bitch as well or do I just take the sick one.

I have been battling the colic for 24 hours now, using heat, Braur colic drops, tube fed the puppy, Being a Saturday I think I need to get expert advice now, rather than later tonight. The vet thinks she probably needs buscopan, but as I have to drive to town to get the buscopan, he would like just to check the pup out while I'm there. I forgot to ask him about taking the whole family in, (he is seeing a horse with colic at the moment &I can't contact him to ask him),

Hoping someone can give me a speedy answer.

Thanks in anticipation

narrellle

Better to take the whole famuly and not have needed to, than to only take the pup and Mum be needed!!

thanks gigit. I ended up taking everyone. All the pups were examined as the vet hadn't seen them since the ceasar last saturday night. He was pretty chuffed to see how well they all looked. Puppy 1 with colic had an enema to ensure no blockage, given some antibiotics as her temp dropped yesterday, given an injection for anti-spasmodic and at the moment seems settled, but we all know with colic it can come back at any time.

Also was started on infacol drops, which according to the vet is the american number 1 treatment for neonatal colic in puppies.

I guess, I feel a little better having her checked out, and letting me know that I am doing ok with them.

thank you for answering

narrelle

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up about my puppy.

When she was 6 days old she had colic, took her to the vet and treated, showed some improvement for a couple of days, then disaster struck. Cried and screamed all night when she was 11 days old. Nothing could stop the pain or screaming for longer than 1/2 hour. took her back to the vet thinking I'd have to have her put down. X-ray attended and showed her whole abdomen whited out,- peritonitis. We decided to try to save her and our wonderful vet, started her on antibiotics, he took her home with him and gave her sub-cut fluids and injectable anti-biotics overnight. She had two full days in hospital, has been home now for over a week on antibiotics, (last day today). the vet nurses decided she needed a strong name to pull through, so they named her Queen Oprah, (After Queen Latifah and Oprah Winfry), two very strong women.

She has put on weight, has opened her eyes, and is up walking about (better than her well brother and sister). She still weighs significantly less than her brother and sister, but is as bright as a button. Her mother disowned her when she was sick at 11 days, (Mother nature saying, not to bother, she won't make it), but as soon as I brought her home from the vet, mum took her back and has been nurturing and looking after her, and feeding her along with a couple of supp feeds. (she is not being sup fed any more) but will be starting on some pink puppy slush tomorrow.

Interestingly, she wasn't the smallest in the litter, and up until colic was doing so well.

I am now cautiously optomistic that she is on the road to recovery.

post-11577-1266706184_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken on thursday, and she is looking quite bright.

Just thought I would like to share a good news story with you all

Just a follow up about my puppy.

When she was 6 days old she had colic, took her to the vet and treated, showed some improvement for a couple of days, then disaster struck. Cried and screamed all night when she was 11 days old. Nothing could stop the pain or screaming for longer than 1/2 hour. took her back to the vet thinking I'd have to have her put down. X-ray attended and showed her whole abdomen whited out,- peritonitis. We decided to try to save her and our wonderful vet, started her on antibiotics, he took her home with him and gave her sub-cut fluids and injectable anti-biotics overnight. She had two full days in hospital, has been home now for over a week on antibiotics, (last day today). the vet nurses decided she needed a strong name to pull through, so they named her Queen Oprah, (After Queen Latifah and Oprah Winfry), two very strong women.

She has put on weight, has opened her eyes, and is up walking about (better than her well brother and sister). She still weighs significantly less than her brother and sister, but is as bright as a button. Her mother disowned her when she was sick at 11 days, (Mother nature saying, not to bother, she won't make it), but as soon as I brought her home from the vet, mum took her back and has been nurturing and looking after her, and feeding her along with a couple of supp feeds. (she is not being sup fed any more) but will be starting on some pink puppy slush tomorrow.

Interestingly, she wasn't the smallest in the litter, and up until colic was doing so well.

I am now cautiously optomistic that she is on the road to recovery.

post-11577-1266706184_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken on thursday, and she is looking quite bright.

Just thought I would like to share a good news story with you all

What a rollercoaster ride for this little girl (and you!)! I think her name is def suited to her! :confused:

Hopefully everything will be fine from here on in!

I remember years ago in one of our Stafford litters a couple of them were very colicy - mum spoke to our vet and got the ok to give some babies "gripe" water and this settled their bellies and really gave some relief.

Hope your baby does well.