Anyone Want To Share The Secret?

-Megz-

Kathq,

Buy a martingale collar and cut off the fabric part and plait a leather one??

Crispin Leather supplies sell brass loops that are fixed (about the size of a 10c piece). Many loops and "D" rings you buy are not soldered together and can open. The problem with the brass ones, they maybe a little too large for small - medium dogs for the show ring. You would then need to get a check chain and thread into those loops. Very fiddly and I don't know how well it will go.

So back I think to my first suggestion..... Buy a martingale or use an old one you have and cut off the fabic and plait the rest of the collar.

One of my projects of "love" was making a head halter based on the Black Dog design. I used flat plait, double flat plait, 4 round plait using 3mm thong and brass rings and other fixtures.. Not something I will make for anyone else. Too much time went into it.

post-430-1266727007_thumb.png

The only thing I can think of that comes close but will probably be too heavy and large is stallion or arab chains/head pieces for lead in classes.

Thanks Mystiqview for your suggestion. It sounds like a good one. Just wanted to try the whole plait/make leads for myself. Am going to packer Leather today to see what they have. Have bought some cheap unsoldered rings so I can see if I can actually do this well enough or not.

The collar if successful will be worn by my GSP in the trial ring as bling.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to Packer leather today. Managed to get some welded rings (16mm), a lacing fid for splicing, some black 3mm lacing and dark brown 4.5mm lacing. All set now to try and do some actual plaiting. Have been practicing the 4 strand round with material to make tug toys so have some idea how to go about it.

Am going to start on that collar using a butchered old fabric one and see how I go.

Kathg,

When you splice the thongs back through, add a touch of glue to the underside. I just use leather glue that looks very strangely like normal white aquadere. Just helps it from working loose and unplaiting itself. particularly if you are one to scrunch the lead up in your hand etc.

Just watch that the 3mm does not want to twist back on itself to show the underside being so narrow.

Okay attempt one. Took me the whole afternoon and it is not really for use as I butchered an old check chain so there is an unwelded link. I am not happy with the splicing which whilst I get the idea of it in my mind it hasnt translated properly to the leather. Will practice some more before I do the real thing. I think this is going to be a steep learning curve. ;)

Any and all comments welcome.

4377740797_c2932e80d0.jpg

Megz, where did you get your paracord from?

Also can anyone share where they are getting metal rings from. Also has anyone attempted a Martingale?

Got my rings from Packer Leather today. A packet of 10 welded 16mm rings was a whopping $2.50

Okay attempt one. Took me the whole afternoon and it is not really for use as I butchered an old check chain so there is an unwelded link. I am not happy with the splicing which whilst I get the idea of it in my mind it hasnt translated properly to the leather. Will practice some more before I do the real thing. I think this is going to be a steep learning curve. :(

Any and all comments welcome.

4377740797_c2932e80d0.jpg

Love that attempt so far! :rofl::laugh:

Since I had a little free time tonight, I've finally trying to figure out how to do a diamond braid and still not getting it, I came across this website:

http://www.boondoggleman.com/prj_diamond_braid.htm

I finally figured it out, so I did a bout 2 cm so far of it and really love love love the green show lead I've started!

So I'm going to have to find a small round metal ring so the lead is extremely lightweight for my Min Pin and do an official attempt on it! If I'm successful, I might even use it for my next show!

If I complete this lead, I might go back to Lincraft to look for some bling to add to this lead.

I should sometime head into the Dandenong Market to see if they have any satin cords to work with, I remember seeing a stall that sells ribbons and things like that, but can't remember if they sold paracord or satin cords.

But this thread now inspires me into starting Clancy's home made lead lol!

Looks good everyone.

Tambaqui: Looks good for your first attempt. The splice on the far side looks tidier than the closer one. But as you said with practice, you will get there.

I have not plaited paracord, but I can presume it will be hard to get your plait tight given the material. Leather you can get much tighter, although I have seen some pretty loose plaiting.

I always have flat plait on my handles rather than round. It is softer on the hands when you are using it. I am pretty sure that book shows you how to go from round to flat and back again. I just go from round to flat then once finish the handle, just splice it back into the round part on the lead. I probably splice it back in for about 5cms and taper off the spliced ends along the length so you dont get a bulge at the end of the splice if you finish the ends all at once. Looks a bit tidier, but that is personal preference.

I really should get some photos of some I have done. If I remember when I get home, I will take some photos.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get hold of some scrap strips to have a play with.

This is my first attempt with leather.

From left to right....

Flat 4

Round 4

Round 6

flat4round4round6.jpg

Now to get hold of some thonging and have a REAL go! :dancingelephant:

AND...this is how I spent some lovely hours on a very warm Saturday afternoon.

I was sitting outside in a lovely gentle breeze at Mr Ellz' house watching the puppies play with my leatherwork clamped to the verandah railings and the instruction booklet propped up beside me and I made .....

THIS......

doglead6mar10.jpg

I started with a 4 strand round plait for the handle, then when that was long enough, I doubled it over and then taught myself how to do an 8 strand round plait. Finished it with glue and whip stitched the end where the ring is and oiled it before testing it on Koda Stafford who pulls like a train on a slip lead of any kind.

And then Woger wore it for his first show yesterday! :thumbsup: