Anyone Want To Share The Secret?

-Megz-

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have managed to get the ends in (thankyou) its just the neatness now as mine tend to fray :-(

Thinking about it (and I don't know what others do) i'd stitch over the end so it couldn't fray before sewing the end in - then making sure it wasn't poking out again when you take the needle off. You shouldn't see the end at all (it should be inside the paracord) and then you over-sew (sew down the length of the lead where you poked it in) to stop it from coming back out again. (Will also strengthen the end).

Does this make sense?

Anyone know where you can get snap hooks?

Also looking for martingdale collars - I can make them but want a light weight jewellers link chain with small rings on the end. All the collars I have found - the rings are too big.

• 6 months later...
ok i couldnt get the paracord after all for a good price so i may as well try leather! but how do u put beads on a leather lead? i have ordered a book to have a look at and see how i go :D now to find coloured leather :laugh:

Hi,

I just ordered off ebay from Majesctic Dreams some paracord 550.....it was US$4.69 for 50ft or 15m with $14.00 for postage, you would get a minimum of 15 leads out of this length...but this also depends on the length of the lead...........even if you got 10 leads it's still works out at $2.00 for cord per lead. Cheers

I have managed to get the ends in (thankyou) its just the neatness now as mine tend to fray :-(

Thinking about it (and I don't know what others do) i'd stitch over the end so it couldn't fray before sewing the end in - then making sure it wasn't poking out again when you take the needle off. You shouldn't see the end at all (it should be inside the paracord) and then you over-sew (sew down the length of the lead where you poked it in) to stop it from coming back out again. (Will also strengthen the end).

Does this make sense?

Also looking for martingdale collars - I can make them but want a light weight jewellers link chain with small rings on the end. All the collars I have found - the rings are too big.

Ebay usa

ok i couldnt get the paracord after all for a good price so i may as well try leather! but how do u put beads on a leather lead? i have ordered a book to have a look at and see how i go :D now to find coloured leather :laugh:

Opps i knew there was something i had to do sorry!!! Ill do it when im home!!!!

Does this make sense?

Ebay usa

ok i couldnt get the paracord after all for a good price so i may as well try leather! but how do u put beads on a leather lead? i have ordered a book to have a look at and see how i go :rofl: now to find coloured leather :laugh:

Opps i knew there was something i had to do sorry!!! Ill do it when im home!!!!

Yes...ebay USA....just do a world wide search for paracord 550

i only want to make a few leads though and all in differnet colours... i contacted a few sellers but theyere werent willing to make shorter bits to sell... i will go for leather i think stronger as well which is a bonus i guess! But i may pop into spotlight and see if they have different cord that is similar to paracord but is also as stong... I was also having trouble finding the lil clamp things that go on eah end of the beads to hold them in place- if that makes sense lol so i figured leather might be easier and more fun anyways i loved making scoobies when they were all the rage so i think i may well get addicted LOL

Those links are great will have a look from home (stupid filters).

hi there you can buy all the leather & associated items from leffler in kensington. they dont have all the bling stuff but have thonging, clips, full hides. they cater mainly for saddlery, upholsterers & leather clothes. hope that helps

i only want to make a few leads though and all in differnet colours... i contacted a few sellers but theyere werent willing to make shorter bits to sell... i will go for leather i think stronger as well which is a bonus i guess! But i may pop into spotlight and see if they have different cord that is similar to paracord but is also as stong... I was also having trouble finding the lil clamp things that go on eah end of the beads to hold them in place- if that makes sense lol so i figured leather might be easier and more fun anyways i loved making scoobies when they were all the rage so i think i may well get addicted LOL

U will find most leather leads have paracord center... We make ours with a paracord center... The way we hold the beads on are small loops.. hard to explan..

ahh ok... Hrmm ill have to wait for the book i think! Maybe it wil show something similar and i can find a way... i was thinking if i dont use a center piece and just use the braided leather i can stop braiding thread on the beads then continue braiding... but ill see how i go!