How To Get My Dogs Papers?

GABBA

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst comes to worst, I will have to. The council next to mine was doing it for free not long ago.

Are there going to be any difficulties in getting it done myself, will anyone give me the third degree?

Ps: vet had said can't be done untill 10 weeks......so I don't know, can only go by what I'm told.

Worst comes to worst, I will have to. The council next to mine was doing it for free not long ago.

Are there going to be any difficulties in getting it done myself, will anyone give me the third degree?

Ps: vet had said can't be done untill 10 weeks......so I don't know, can only go by what I'm told.

I've never heard of that before. Mine was done before he came home at 8 weeks and I'm sure most others are too (assuming that most breeders obey the laws). I find it strange the the vet would be telling her not to do it, microchipping is important...

Not only is it important, it's a legal requirement.

Both pups that came into my home late last year from QLD, were both chipped as per legislation. It's not something that a breeder gets to pick and choose and no vet should be advising breeders not to chip.

Breeders that can't follow basic requirements , drag the rest of us who do the right thing down.

GABBA,

There are a couple of registers. Depends on which microchip company the vet used. There is Petsafe. That is the one all my guys were chipped with.

As the others have said. It is a legal requirement now in Qld that all puppies are chipped prior to being sold to their new homes. Puppies must be chipped by 12 weeks. Previously before the stupid law saying we could not do it before 8 weeks. many pups were chipped at vaccination time at 6 weeks. I can understand toy and small dogs being chipped later.

A 6 week border collie puppy when you think about it (and goes for any medium to large breed) is generally heavier than MOST adult cats. And they chip them right? I have chipped pups at 6 weeks and never had problems.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will try to get my pup scanned, if for some reason there is no chip, i can get it done myself. Rightly or wrongly.

As for the dog, its a Dogue De Bordeaux...cute little guy! An image has been uploaded here

Edited by GABBA

I think 'simple' is to contact the breeder and ask, maybe I'm the odd one out :)

No your not the odd one out. I would have done all that before purchasing the pup and so would have you and a lot of others, but as the owner is new they would not possibly think about such things.

To be truthfull, why has hasn't the breeder informed the purchaser. I'll bet you tell all your clients about the procedures just like the rest of us do.

It just makes me so mad when we get breeders that do not inform their clients, or have NO idea as to what to do themselves. I just feel that it makes those of us who do the right thing, look bad.

I know of a few people still who will not microchip their puppies up here in Qld.

I enquired about a two litters of pups for a friend from two breeders. (arrrggh to a certain website) Sounded out the breeder so to speak. One said they do not have to microchip. The other said they cannot microchip the puppies until 8 weeks therefore were not doing it.

WTF!!!!

IF they were reputable, they would have kept up with the ammendment in the legislation and may have read the front of dog world where there was a whole one page section written on the second or third page about the change to the microchip laws.

Both claimed to be registered breeders. One at least said the pup would be sold on limit register until it was 12 months of age, then transferred???? What? I did not enquire further. nah naaa.. wrong answer.

It makes me mad too when breeders fail to tell new puppy buyers the basic answers and general knowledge they SHOULD be telling puppy buyers regarding the breed. I have had the new puppy buyers ring me for puppies and I have had to go through the whole speel. Extra mad when they have also enquired with breeders who should know better and give them the information. You know basic stuff. Main vs Limit register, Health stuff and the like.