Becoming A Breeder

Luvmy4

Thanks I will read up. this is not a jump in quick thing for me. I've loved staffy for yrs from afar got my hands on one through a classfiied ad yes backyard breeder b4 u jump on me yes i'll admit since she had a great nature and played 2nd mum to my partner kelpies bitches pups (we're farmer their working line) I did think of breeding her for a pup of her nature then realised hey she's most of the way she is from my love so I desexed her.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why a male?? People ALWAYS suggest a male first

My first show dog was a golden bitch. I had to get a bitch as my old bullmastiff cross boy (now deceased) would not have tolerated another male dog on his turf. I was lucky in that my family had a long association with her breeder after buying an ex show dog as a pet (he lived to 15) from them yrs ago. I think from memory I waited approx 12 months for Karma. She is a beautiful dog but very high maintenance!

Its now 4 yrs on, I still only have the one golden. I did purchse a male golden but he died in a tragic accident very young - he is the dog in my sig. I also have two iggy bitches and an iggy male for show/breeding. Again my first show iggy was a bitch. I purchased her from a DOLer who has been breeding for a long time. Although we didnt know each other well, she had seen me on the forums for a while so I wasn't totally unknown.

I dont think you necessarily have to start with a dog but the issue will be finding a breeder to sell you a main reg bitch who is show/breed worthy if you are completely unknown. I was very lucky with both breeds, in having breeders who were willing to trust me and sell me a main reg bitch to show.

I'd suggest a look at Staffy Rescue before embarking on anything :)

And all the Sydney pounds as there is hundreds of Staffords in pounds and rescue around Australia. They die everyday in our pounds. Have a look at the SBT puppy listing, there is 90 plus listings on there, and only a couple of quality pups out of those litters.

It may take you 12 months before you find that quality SBT pup. Then show ring training a couple of times a week, then weekends at shows. Finding a mentor that will help you through the confirmation stage and assist with your breeding program.

Do you have the room in your back yard to be able to seperate dogs? Do you have the room to keep pups incase you are unable to rehome them? Do you have the funds to help the pup out incase you have a medical emergency? It isn't cheap and if you have a bitch that may need a C section and no pups survive, on a Sunday morning at 1am, have you got the spare $5k laying around to pay for that? Can you get the time off work to look after the pups or whilst the bitch is whelping?

Breeding isn't cheap, and you can see why rescue groups run at a loss and need donations when they spring bitches in pup from the pound. Breeders don't get any financial help from anyone.

Actually thanks Everyone I've done alot of thinking, After seeing how others treat their dogs (not in this forum) and I do not want to be come a breeder anymore my dogs my 4th baby and maybe one I might get into showing

I'd suggest a look at Staffy Rescue before embarking on anything :laugh:

Well bred Stafford puppies, from ethical registered breeders are in demand, there are not enough to go around. We should be encouraging any potential breeder who is willing to put in the hard yards, show, learn and do things like the MDBA courses, not tell them to look at Staffy Rescue and think twice.

I've just seen backyard breeders of staffies they only have 2 dogs,(a bitch and dog) announce their got a new litter on fb, last 1 was b4 xmas all the pups died their blamed it on the weather being 2 hot. Here is a copy paste of status about their newest addition "i hav 6 beautiful puppies staffies but i will not b offering them 2 any1 untill they r bout 4 weeks old as the cold weather has taken 3 :-(" ppl like this is why I've changed my mind :laugh:

Edited by Luvmy4

I'd suggest a look at Staffy Rescue before embarking on anything :laugh:

Well bred Stafford puppies, from ethical registered breeders are in demand, there are not enough to go around. We should be encouraging any potential breeder who is willing to put in the hard yards, show, learn and do things like the MDBA courses, not tell them to look at Staffy Rescue and think twice.

Yes I agree.Part of being a breeder is thinking through the possibility that a pup you send home wont be able to stay with their owners for a variety of reasons and what you are going to do to ensure yours dont end up in rescue.

I've just seen backyard breeders of staffies they only have 2 dogs,(a bitch and dog) announce their got a new litter on fb, last 1 was b4 xmas all the pups died their blamed it on the weather being 2 hot. Here is a copy paste of status about their newest addition "i hav 6 beautiful puppies staffies but i will not b offering them 2 any1 untill they r bout 4 weeks old as the cold weather has taken 3 :-(" ppl like this is why I've changed my mind :laugh:

Sounds like they have a lot to learn but because some people do it wrong makes it more important that there are good people getting it right.

I tried explaining to a friend that it is a $10k fine if busted breeding animals that are cross bred or without any type of pedigree papers.

One good thing I saw yesterday was there are a number of stafford breeders now selling their pups main registered but desexed. Fantastic idea, the pups can still do everything except bred from. Pups are leaving at 12 weeks and these breeders are not having problems rehoming at all. At least you are rehoming to genuine pet homes.