Microchipping

sobraon park

hi

i am on the sunshine coast in QLD and am looking to get my pups microchipped, i have been told so many different things by different people. i have the vet coming next wk and the pups will be just over 6wks old. is this ok. i was told yes by some but then the vet said that he thought it was not until after 8wk. can some one pls help.

The pups can be chipped at any age provided the vet who does it is of the opinion that no harm will come to the pups if they are chipped under 8 weeks, OR there is a certificate stating the same if the chipper isn't a vet. If you can't get a vet to do it or agree to it being done prior to 8 weeks, then 8 weeks is the minimum age. It's all in the CCCQ magazine.

Had my crowd done at 7 weeks, no problem at all.

ETA: The rule was changed from a minimum of 8 weeks to under 8 weeks with vet's approval either in early December or November. Your vet ought to have known about this I would have thought.

Edited by Sandra777

The pups can be chipped at any age provided the vet who does it is of the opinion that no harm will come to the pups if they are chipped under 8 weeks, OR there is a certificate stating the same if the chipper isn't a vet. If you can't get a vet to do it or agree to it being done prior to 8 weeks, then 8 weeks is the minimum age. It's all in the CCCQ magazine.

Had my crowd done at 7 weeks, no problem at all.

ETA: The rule was changed from a minimum of 8 weeks to under 8 weeks with vet's approval either in early December or November. Your vet ought to have known about this I would have thought.

yes i would have thought so to but all the vets i ring say 8wks, my vet is happy to do them after 6wks as long as he knows it is ok. I have spoken to the CCC and they said although they are not the ones who have the rules it is ok for a vet do it then as long as they are happy to.

be nice if everyone new the same rule would make it all alot easier.

I have spoken to the CCC and they said although they are not the ones who have the rules it is ok for a vet do it then as long as they are happy to. be nice if everyone new the same rule would make it all alot easier.

CCCQ have been pretty good at putting all the information needed in their magazine. Just take that along and slap the vet around the head with it. No reason to think the vet associations/whatever haven't been educating the vets, all the ones around here seem to know about the ammendment. Then again - speak to the VET not the 15 year old on phone duty and you usually get a better answer :thanks:

I have spoken to the CCC and they said although they are not the ones who have the rules it is ok for a vet do it then as long as they are happy to. be nice if everyone new the same rule would make it all alot easier.

CCCQ have been pretty good at putting all the information needed in their magazine. Just take that along and slap the vet around the head with it. No reason to think the vet associations/whatever haven't been educating the vets, all the ones around here seem to know about the ammendment. Then again - speak to the VET not the 15 year old on phone duty and you usually get a better answer :thanks:

oh so very true. yes my last few mags got torn up by a very interested 1yr daughter. (not happy) will have to learn to put them up higher. you would think the vets would be sent the rules when they come out. oh well. my vet has said yes so we will see how they go next wk. interesting when he rang the microchip people and they said 8wks. like i said before one set of rules would be nice. thanks for your help