What Breeds Have Rear Dew Claws?

Kirty

My foxie has them and they are a real pain.Wish I had know more about them when he was desexed years ago and would have had them removed at the same time.

The continually grow and if you don't keep an eye on them can grow back into the pad

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Her is the girl Kirty is talking about. Personally I don't see anything but BC in her, either in looks or temp.

I need to see more, but my first thought was a mix of Blue heeler :D. I agree that BC is predominant, going by that photo alone.

People who say 'throw back' -- throw back to what? I don't think wolves, foxes, coyotes or any other wild caniids have them (at least not regularly).

I had a dog with double read dewclaws (non-pedigree Rotti) in kennels. It upset me to look at his feet. Never seen one that was bony, just the fleshy, easy-to-tear variety. oOH! Those would be painful if they got torn and they are just waiting to be torn.

If RSPCA is suggesting that breed clubs re-examine their breed standards, I'd say sic them on read dewclaws, and expecially double dewclaws. I doubt this feature 'just happens'. There's got to be some mode of inheritance.

Some Belgians are born with rear dews and others aren't. As an example, I have whelped 3 litters all with different bitches and sires. These are the results:

First litter: out of 5 Belgians, 3 had rear dew claws

Second litter: Out of 10 pups none had rear dew claws

Third litter: 5 Belgians, 2 had rear dew clawas and out of those two only one had only one rear due (one dew claw in one rear leg and no rear due claw on the other).

The rear dewclaws in Pyrenean Mountain Dogs and Beaucerons were knowingly bred into the dogs as the dogs with the double dewclaws were better workers in the rough, rocky hillsides in France where they originated.

--Lhok

People who say 'throw back' -- throw back to what? I don't think wolves, foxes, coyotes or any other wild caniids have them (at least not regularly).

I had a dog with double read dewclaws (non-pedigree Rotti) in kennels. It upset me to look at his feet. Never seen one that was bony, just the fleshy, easy-to-tear variety. oOH! Those would be painful if they got torn and they are just waiting to be torn.

If RSPCA is suggesting that breed clubs re-examine their breed standards, I'd say sic them on read dewclaws, and expecially double dewclaws. I doubt this feature 'just happens'. There's got to be some mode of inheritance.

I think we could spend resources on more important things than breeding out rear dew claws.

A Simple snip shortly after birth and they are gone.