Mum And Puppies

leopuppy04

If pups are weaned I wouldn't expect to see Mum with them.

If pups weren't weaned, I wouldn't expect to be able to handle then.

I think there's no right answer but just explain why you're doing whatever you're doing with Mum to the buyers.

I don't understand the bolded part of the above. If pups aren't partially weaned, NO VISITORS. Full stop.

I start weaning at 3 to 4 weeks. I allow visits when weaning is well underway and pups have outgrown the whelping box, eyes open, walking fairly well. My girls are great mothers, but not protective when people visit. I leave it natural when people visit. Mum can come and go if she chooses or nick off is she chooses (she usually says 'hi' and nicks off. Often she will come back for a quick round of feeding the pups). Other dogs are free to interact with people and pups. Often they compete for attention from potential puppy buyers. Mum isn't spending a lot of time with pups at 4 weeks plus, and I don't allow visits earlier. Often she is a bit ratty-looking cause nursing mums tend to molt, especially in summer. I explain this. Most people understand.

I think this is typical for Labradors. Other breeds may be more protective, and a more structured approach may be required.

btw. I think the health risks to pups increase from 4 to 8 weeks, as the maternal antibodies become less effective. Thus I'm happy to have people visit at ~4 weeks and stay away until they pick up their pup.

Edited by sandgrubber

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've weighed up the risks and will allow people I know in, providing they come straight from their house, have clean clothes and no contact with other dogs. Shoes off at the door and wash their hands.

The pups benefit from the early handling

Yes, I have a select few I allow to visit but they are well versed in what I expect :laugh:

I actually think that the pups are more at risk, for the couple of weeks after vaccination.

It's that week after I vaccinate that most concerns me, as the maternal antibodies are no longer providing any protection or very little and the immune system and the puppy in general is under more stress from the trip to the vet, the vaccine and the chipping.

I actually think that the pups are more at risk, for the couple of weeks after vaccination.

It's that week after I vaccinate that most concerns me, as the maternal antibodies are no longer providing any protection or very little and the immune system and the puppy in general is under more stress from the trip to the vet, the vaccine and the chipping.

I agree which is why I'm politely *trying* to say that I'm nasty and don't allow many visitors almost until puppies are ready to leave for their new homes.

My pups were moved into a pen with bed at 2 weeks (they were escaping the box!), however Ziva has been able to exit the box since then (via a board in place of a wire panel). The pups aren't in the lounge room but the front room/study where I am most of the day anyway. The room is blocked off via a baby gate so Ziva has the entire room to stretch out and relax :(

hehe - slightly OT - with Poodles it's 3 weeks! After this, they were moved to the laundry

My pups were moved into a pen with bed at 2 weeks (they were escaping the box!), however Ziva has been able to exit the box since then (via a board in place of a wire panel). The pups aren't in the lounge room but the front room/study where I am most of the day anyway. The room is blocked off via a baby gate so Ziva has the entire room to stretch out and relax :)

hehe - slightly OT - with Poodles it's 3 weeks! After this, they were moved to the laundry

:) :D

Here are mine (there is usually a dog bed (bottom of a PP40 crate) for them to sleep in but I was sitting there lol so took it out)

post-2621-1266236010_thumb.jpg

With SOME puppies (espcially Dylan) even the laundry is not "escape-proof" :laugh:

Breakout002.jpg

Do others really have dogs that will go do something else when there are visitors in the home (they're not interested in the new humans)? :)

Hell no, you come to my house, you get a greeting from the guard "Stafford" but once you're in the door and identified as "friendly" , it's all about them.

I have to put mine away as the Staffords mug anyone that comes in and the Whippet has been known to soar over the kitchen table on the way to the lounge :D :laugh:

It's alright for people that know them and are prepared to reprimand and tell them to bugger off but the majority of visitors are nervous.

My pups were moved into a pen with bed at 2 weeks (they were escaping the box!), however Ziva has been able to exit the box since then (via a board in place of a wire panel). The pups aren't in the lounge room but the front room/study where I am most of the day anyway. The room is blocked off via a baby gate so Ziva has the entire room to stretch out and relax ;)

My pups were moved into a pen with bed at 2 weeks (they were escaping the box!), however Ziva has been able to exit the box since then (via a board in place of a wire panel). The pups aren't in the lounge room but the front room/study where I am most of the day anyway. The room is blocked off via a baby gate so Ziva has the entire room to stretch out and relax :wave:

:D :(

Here are mine (there is usually a dog bed (bottom of a PP40 crate) for them to sleep in but I was sitting there lol so took it out)

post-2621-1266236010_thumb.jpg

With SOME puppies (espcially Dylan) even the laundry is not "escape-proof" :laugh:

Breakout002.jpg

:) what a cheeky boy :)

I remember when we went to see Kyzer when he was 4 weeks old, the Mum was there, but she kept barging through the puppies to get pats from people! She was squashing puppies left right and centre so got crated. She didn't care that people were playing with them, just wanted some loving too.

As a prospective puppy buyer I would like to meet mum then have her put away for this reason :o

If I were picking a puppy to come and share our family home, I would definately like to meet the mum. as I would like to see her temprement. Having small grandchildren in my case it is imperative that the family temprement is good.

by the way, my granndkids are NOT allowed to be rough and 'rude' to my dogs.

Just a remnd guys - this is not about whether or not you can *meet* mum, but rather whether or not mum is IN the pen with the puppies when you are with them.

I don't think it's a good sign if you can't meet mum at all!! :laugh:

I would prefer to see Mum with puppies but would understand if we met them separately especially to start with. We have been allowed to see our potential pup at 2, 4 and 6 weeks- with the breeder ensuring we are 'clean' and while i understand other breeders concerns, i would want to see a potential pup before 8 weeks of age (when i would be wanting to take puppy home)

I would prefer to see Mum with puppies but would understand if we met them separately especially to start with. We have been allowed to see our potential pup at 2, 4 and 6 weeks- with the breeder ensuring we are 'clean' and while i understand other breeders concerns, i would want to see a potential pup before 8 weeks of age (when i would be wanting to take puppy home)

That's ok and you're going to find some breeders who will allow you to visit and others who won't and some who don't allow their puppies to leave until 9-10 weeks of age due to not vaccinating until 7-8 weeks of age.

I understand that and respect that breeders can make individual choices. :o I am just very grateful and pleased with what we have been able to experience over the last 7 weeks since the pup we are getting was born. :laugh:

I wasn't having a go at you Cos and I'm glad you enjoyed your experience :laugh: