Flea Infestation On My Dog

kchogan

i have a flea infestation on my dog and not sure how to get rid of them.

a few months ago i missed a session of flea treatment and saw a couple of fleas on my girl so i went and bought frontline but it didn't work, now i have a flea infestation. i will be getting capstar today from my local vet and i am spraying the house with viniger and water, i was also going to get advantage.

i wanted to know is there anything else i can do to get rid of these pesky flease.

any advise would be helpful

Water and vinegar is only going to make your house smell like a salad dressing. It certainly won't kill fleas.

You need to treat the environment and the dog at the same time, repeatedly.

Speak to your local Vet about which flea treatments he recommends. Vacuum all floor areas and carpets and dump the bag as far away as possible or spray it thoroughly with an insecticide before putting it in the bin.

Throw out (using the same treatment as above) all dog bedding OR wash it all in a flea rinse like Malawash.

Wash the dog in a flea rinse like Malawash.

Apply the flea treatment to the dog that the Vet recommended for you.

Place flea bombs in your house and in areas such as garages or where the dog goes. Take your dog for walk while they are doing their thing.

REPEAT the washing of bedding in Malawash weekly for another 4 times.

REPEAT the vaccuming daily.

REPEAT the flea bombs in 28 days.

REPEAT the flea product recommended by the Vet at the intervals he says or as it says on the packet.

REPEAT the capstar once, 7 days after the first dose.

REPEAT washing the dog in Malawash in 28 days time.

Then REPEAT the bombs, bedding washes and malawash at the beginning of the warmer months next Spring/Summer as there will likely still be dormant eggs ready to hatch when the weather warms up again.

Edited by ~Anne~

Also, don't forget fleas thrive in your garden too. Mow any lawns and clean up any rubble, piles of leaves etc in the garden. Composting the soil, even a little bit, will help because that encourages beneficial nematodes that kill fleas. You can get chemicals to treat the lawn but personally I wouldn't recommend using chemicals on the garden.

We fleabombed the house and it made the hugest difference.

Additionally we use Advocate on both the cat and dog.

My local vet advised that we should ALSO use half a tube of advantage each week on top of that, AS WELL AS capstar daily for a week if we saw no improvement post bomb.

Fortunately we did.

Just after the fleabombing, the dog and I went on hols to the beach where she swam everyday and took Proban both of which rid her of any stubborn remaining fleas on her body.

Thank god. Flea infestation really takes over your life! Awful little bastards.

Sort of on-topic but really just one of my usual silly anecdotes that I imagine is funny or interesting or sommat LOL

I once moved into a rented house in perth with my dalmatian girl Lotta. Dallies rarely get flea infestations in my experience, something to do with their thin short coats I guess. Or maybe I'm just a brilliant dog manager :thumbsup:

ANYway. The first night I was there I ran a lovely hot bath with tons of that green Radox in it. I was soaking happily away when I realised Lotta was whining and running around the house a lot which wasn't like her. I called her into the bathroom and as I was patting her I saw HUNDREDS of fleas all over her. :( She was wriggling and scratching like mad. SO I leapt out of the bath and put Lotta in it instead. Fortunately she LOVED baths and this one had Radox in it and had cooled to nicely warm. She just slowly sank down further into the water moaning with relief and refused to get out so I left her there for a while. Then I ran naked into the hall and got my face down level with the carpet - as I suspected it was CRAWLING with fleas. I have never seen anything like it before or since. The whole house was the same.

She and I left and stayed at someone elses house that night and then I bought MANY flea bombs and nuked the house to death. AND sprayed the garden with something nasty. Vaccumed after a couple of days. Then did it all over again.

We moved back in a week later.

Hideous!!! So now I always check houses before I move in.

thanks for all the info. unfortunately i didn't get time to go to the vet today so after i take the kids to school it will be my first stop home, then to the shops for flea bombs.

I was at the vet this morning and I overheard them talking about a new once a month pill for fleas. Its called Comfortis, a chewable meat flavored tablet that starts killing fleas within half an hour and a 100% kill in 4 hours. $13 a pill!Has anyone used it yet?

thanks for all the info. unfortunately i didn't get time to go to the vet today so after i take the kids to school it will be my first stop home, then to the shops for flea bombs.

I was at the vet this morning and I overheard them talking about a new once a month pill for fleas. Its called Comfortis, a chewable meat flavored tablet that starts killing fleas within half an hour and a 100% kill in 4 hours. $13 a pill!Has anyone used it yet?

If you do a search on the word 'comfortis' in this health section, you'll see that it is mentioned in quite a few threads and that there are quite a few people using it, it would seem.