K9 Natural Dog Food

Red Fox

I have just ordered some so will keep you posted on how it goes. My dog is the fussiest eater ever so it will be interesting to see if he eats it. It is expensive at $174 for 4 kg (makes up to 16 kg). If he eats it, it will be worth it as i am sure i throw out just as much.

Cowanbree, wow that is reasonable. I might shoot them an e-mail now.

With your skin issue boy did you find any dry food okay? I've ruled out Nutro, Eukanuba, and Proplan. Can't afford Oriijen though.

Is Orijen still available in NZ?

I had great results with it for my last dane who had frequent colitis. What was not so good was the fact the cat food poisoned my cat but thankfully he was one of the lucky ones who survived.

I remember reading some where NZ does not irradiate Orijen Dog Food - but can't seem to find anything on it anywhere?!?! They are on Orijen's site as a country that has a supplier!

I've only tried the treats so far on my dog and he loves them! I actually bought it for my ferrets (who love it too). Not sure if I will try the normal packs or just stick to it as a treat.

Just a note on the irradiated part.. I was talking to the guy at the pet expo and he absolutely promised that the food will not be irradiated and that is only why it has just become available in Australia..it took him a long time to get it through without.

Got my food on Friday and have Fed my super fussy dog 2 meals. He loves it and licked the bowl clean. It smells great too. It is recommended to give rmb with it as well.

So far so good. Only problem is it is very expensive wish there was some way to get it cheaper.

• 1 month later...
Also, I found that I had to break up the little bullets for it to rehydrate. Otherwise, the bullets just sit in the water. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've just made some up (first time), and haven't broken the bullets up and it looks really watery - ill go smash them up now.

My whole packet was in the fridge too (I hope that doesn't affect things).

No I spoke to the rep and she said it is def not irradiated

Ditto. At the moment, the only one they've been able to get through is the Freeze dried (as opposed to just frozen) Lamb flavour. They are working on getting customs permission to get in other flavours as well, without irradiation.

Edited by Erny

This is really interesting to read. Since moving back to NZ I have struggled to find a BARF equivalent, have had some funny looks when I ask :laugh:

But the boarding kennels just down the road advertise that they sell K9 Natural so I might have to check it out :thumbsup: Especially if they sell the cheaper frozen stuff, though I can see the freeze dried would have its uses.

• 1 month later...

Seems there have been a few threads about this but they're hard to search because of the short name. Here's the most recent, and if you search 'k9natural' all as one word you get a couple more.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=198784

I couldn't get the food soaked but will try warmer water tonight. Now I've opened the packet we'll finish it, and maybe keep a couple of small packs in the cupboard, but I don't think we can afford it as a regular meal.